For us who are new to Combat Mission

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hi, I am a total novice to combat mission, I have experienced pc problems which will be fixed soon(I believe the Matrox 7200 or ati are preferred cards, remembering that I plan to do some video editing too).
Back to the subject.
To us newbies, what exactly do those three letter combo's mean?
I myself own a game simply called Combat Mission2, but I am aware that it is the Barbarossa to Berlin version.
Is the Afrika Korps worth the buy?
Is there any little quirks that the game has that I should be aware of (like in the famous panzer general, old boardgamers were shocked when half way through the game they realized there is no supply function)!
And any advice to the novice on tactics, i have played all the close combat games, but I can see that this is a different kettle of fish, what I do know is to scout, because I have been suprised by hidden armour more than once, and seeing your expencive piece of armour going up in smoke as the first contact with the enemy is not a uplifting feeling!
All advice welcome!
Thankyou, mrpoundr.

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd say Afrika Corps is definately worth the buy. The three games in the series are all pretty much the same (as far as interface and how the game is played), but there are subtle differences that others on this site are more equipped to tell you about. :cheeky:

As far as tactics go, start with practicing against the AI. Once you feel comfortable (and are able to beat the AI easily), try and find some Play-by-Email (PBEM) opponents. Many of the members here will be more than happy to offer you advice on tactics after a game based on your performance (not to mention the CM Tactics document posted by Yohajin on the 5ACG forums *cough*).

Above all, practice, practice, practice! :thumup:

(Hey, aren't I your platoon leader over at 5ACG? :hmmm: )

Last edited:

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that I've had a bit of time to think, there is one difference. Both CMBB and CMAK offer a "Covered Arc" option for armor, field guns and MG's. CMBO does not. Covered Arc is great if you're on the defensive and want to set up ambushes ... :devious:

Jefferylau

Reaction score
Country
llMalaysia
This game is very different from what I have been playing , getting a bit lost in this game , more RTFM and pratice I guess

Pratice ! Pratice ! Pratice ! has to be the sure way to get into this game

CHeers

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some misc info...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm

Battlefronts Tips n Tricks Forum is a must read for newbies. Probably one of the most comprehensive newbie hint forums around.

Deciphering the acronyms
CM = Combat Mission

CMBO = Combat Mission Beyond Overlord: The original classic. Not as refined but still fun!

CMBB = Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin: The second title in the series. More refined commands, east front action only, tanks seem to move slower in this particular version.

CMAK = Combat Mission Afrika Korps: The third and most recent title. Same commands as CMBB, covering Mediterranean and Wester Europe. Great unit graphics, awesome "dust"
when vehicles move in dry arid maps.

Bottom line they are all great. All have great vehicle and terrain mods available. All have MANY user scenarios available. In our scenario archive you will find several you can down load. Also check out The Scenario Depot. http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Also just so you are in the loop the original games were released through Battlefront exclusively. They then signed a deal with CDV to release the game in Europe. The only difference is the SS units are called Waffen Grenediers in the European version.

CMX = Top Secret new CM engine under development and will drive the next Combat Mission Release.

Last edited:

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Jefferylau said:
This game is very different from what I have been playing , getting a bit lost in this game , more RTFM and pratice I guess

Pratice ! Pratice ! Pratice ! has to be the sure way to get into this game

CHeers
Yes, I remember hearing that a Finnish officer used this game to teach basic infantry tactics to the Officer Cadets!
I'm shure they have real military wargames, but as a 'quick tool' apparently the program sufficed, which means we who play it, really have to learn a tactical sence!
And thats what I call a damn good game!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First thing, again, do not get an ATI card for CM.

They don't implement Fog Tables in their DirectX drivers so no fog for you. For all the other reasons see the other thread about graphics cards.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Redwolf said:
First thing, again, do not get an ATI card for CM.

They don't implement Fog Tables in their DirectX drivers so no fog for you. For all the other reasons see the other thread about graphics cards.
I'll try to renegate my order on the work, so what matrox card is the equivalent of the ati radeon 9600?
Which cost in finland 125 Euro. (About 135 Dollars, remember finalds higher prices for obvious reasons)...

P.s which is a good way of training, for those unseen t-34's that expose themselves when one of your panzer 3's or Stug's is smoking!?!
Sending a recce patrol, with a machine gun cituated to give them atleast some covering fire if they are met by a bunch of russians!
I like to play, 42, because I feel the forces are pretty well matched, and I have the need for slightly superior tactics as the t-34's are absolutely leathal!
A good learner, without any Tiger magic, to solve the cituations...

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I said fog, not smoke.

I don't think Matrox makes a 3D which is overal competitive with NVidia and ATI cards for an 3D game using more 3D features than CM.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Mephisto said:
I'd say Afrika Corps is definately worth the buy. The three games in the series are all pretty much the same (as far as interface and how the game is played), but there are subtle differences that others on this site are more equipped to tell you about. :cheeky:

As far as tactics go, start with practicing against the AI. Once you feel comfortable (and are able to beat the AI easily), try and find some Play-by-Email (PBEM) opponents. Many of the members here will be more than happy to offer you advice on tactics after a game based on your performance (not to mention the CM Tactics document posted by Yohajin on the 5ACG forums *cough*).

Above all, practice, practice, practice! :thumup:

(Hey, aren't I your platoon leader over at 5ACG? :hmmm: )
Maybe not a platoon leader, but defenately in the turn based war gaming b company, as TOAW has been my no1 game for 4 years.
In 1979 I started board gaming on Avalon Hill style turn based hex map, with those wonderful stacks of cardboard counters that fell over when you had just counted all but the particular one, for the table to get a result of an attack! Games, so I guess I'm classifyed as a turn based Operational game man.
Tactical games are only familiar on the pc from the Close Combat games. (If one does not count the battles of Shogun total war).

KG_AGCent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:
P.s which is a good way of training, for those unseen t-34's that expose themselves when one of your panzer 3's or Stug's is smoking!?!
Sending a recce patrol, with a machine gun cituated to give them atleast some covering fire if they are met by a bunch of russians!
The best way is the right way. Infantry out front, a sniper or 2 overlooking your approach paths. Terrain, Terrain, Terrain! A recon car or 2 might suffice, but as I played I found better uses for the points (infantry or support units.)

Use your infantry to fire at any tanks to get them to "button-up" then "Hunt" your armor forward and get that most important 1st shot. PzIIIj's and later are good enough to handle T-34's I have found as long as you can get 2-to-1 or better. Marders are also very useful on ambush and sitting back and plinking at a distance.

Another good method that I have found particularly useful is to obsess on a particular issue for hours at a time, particularly at work or while the wife is trying to spend "quality time" with you. Some of my best tactical solutions have come to me while engaging in marital relations.

17poundr said:
I like to play, 42, because I feel the forces are pretty well matched, and I have the need for slightly superior tactics as the t-34's are absolutely leathal!
A good learner, without any Tiger magic, to solve the cituations...
1939 - 1945 are good years to play. There are also a bunch of different rule sets that attempt to enforce a certain balance on a certain time period for multiplayer and PBEM games. I say "Get over it and use an AT gun! Damn ninnies." If you can manuever your T-34s close enough, a Tiger/Panther/KT/etc. have no chance really. StuG's are particularly vulnerable to this. That's a big IF, but its true.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
KG_AGCent said:
The best way is the right way. Infantry out front, a sniper or 2 overlooking your approach paths. Terrain, Terrain, Terrain! A recon car or 2 might suffice, but as I played I found better uses for the points (infantry or support units.)

Use your infantry to fire at any tanks to get them to "button-up" then "Hunt" your armor forward and get that most important 1st shot. PzIIIj's and later are good enough to handle T-34's I have found as long as you can get 2-to-1 or better. Marders are also very useful on ambush and sitting back and plinking at a distance.

Another good method that I have found particularly useful is to obsess on a particular issue for hours at a time, particularly at work or while the wife is trying to spend "quality time" with you. Some of my best tactical solutions have come to me while engaging in marital relations.

1939 - 1945 are good years to play. There are also a bunch of different rule sets that attempt to enforce a certain balance on a certain time period for multiplayer and PBEM games. I say "Get over it and use an AT gun! Damn ninnies." If you can manuever your T-34s close enough, a Tiger/Panther/KT/etc. have no chance really. StuG's are particularly vulnerable to this. That's a big IF, but its true.
Thanks! good tactical advice, the more i play combat mission, the more I realize how much it resembles the Avalon Hill classic board game: Squad Leader!
In other words 100% quality!
I have to catch a girlfriend for the winter, to keep my gaming up according to your brilliant directions! ;)

ps, i visited the kapfgruppe site, is it for combat mission multiplaying? I just browsed, looked interesting...

Last edited:

KG_AGCent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:
ps, i visited the kapfgruppe site, is it for combat mission multiplaying? I just browsed, looked interesting...
Yes! We have about 35 members playing various games from Combat Mission to Close Combat to Call of Duty and SL/ASL. We operate a dedicated Teamspeak server and have our own forums and run Combat Mission tourneys and CM multiplayer games. If your interested, drop us an email and we'll get you enrolled.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
KG_AGCent said:
Yes! We have about 35 members playing various games from Combat Mission to Close Combat to Call of Duty and SL/ASL. We operate a dedicated Teamspeak server and have our own forums and run Combat Mission tourneys and CM multiplayer games. If your interested, drop us an email and we'll get you enrolled.
have you looked in the 5'th acg battalion? Its also a kind of club for gaming and us acg loonies!

basically, its a very relaxed place without much of cant do this or that, if you know what I mean...

KG_AGCent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:
have you looked in the 5'th acg battalion? Its also a kind of club for gaming and us acg loonies!

basically, its a very relaxed place without much of cant do this or that, if you know what I mean...
Maybe you could rally a few players at ACG to have a tournament with KG. We have formats that are very conducive to either PBEM or TCP/IP or both.

:rifle:

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
KG_AGCent said:
Maybe you could rally a few players at ACG to have a tournament with KG. We have formats that are very conducive to either PBEM or TCP/IP or both.

:rifle:
GOOD IDEA! SINSTER! ARE YOU READING THIS!!! WE HAVE A CHALLENGE FROM THE 'CARTHAGENIAN ORGANISATION'... I HAVE HEARD THEY HAVE BONDS HEAD IN A FISH BOWL IN FORMALDEHYDE... A FORCE TO BE RECONNED WITH...

KG_AGCent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17poundr said:
GOOD IDEA! SINSTER! ARE YOU READING THIS!!! WE HAVE A CHALLENGE FROM THE 'CARTHAGENIAN ORGANISATION'... I HAVE HEARD THEY HAVE BONDS HEAD IN A FISH BOWL IN FORMALDEHYDE... A FORCE TO BE RECONNED WITH...
Any other takers?

Can ACG muster canastas to join the battle?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Oh, my, my, Mr KG,

...but you do cut a dashing figure in that little feldgrau jumper now don't you. I am just tickled by the pink piping on your panzer-trooper tunic.

I'd love to oblige, old boy, but you see I'm already posted to the desert in the CMAK Joust. The Light Brigade is currently fully engaged and I doubt we shall be free for another tussle for some time.

Awfulluy sorry, but, do ring again sometime.

Ta-ta.