For all you Combat Mission fans - favourite version of the game?

Which is your favourite version of Combat Mission?

• Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Combat Mission: Afrika Korps.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A simple poll to seek opinions from Combat Mission players on which version of the game is their favourite or the "best".

Although each edition of CM is an improvement over the previous release, each game is distinctly different from the others as they feature different campaigns and participating Armies and individual units.

So which is the "best"? And why?

A brief summary of the differences:

1) Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Set exclusively after D-Day and featuring Armies from the USA, Britain, Canada, France, Poland and of course Germany. Therefore, limited timescale and earlier technology in the game itself probably make this the "weakest" of the series, but not necessarily the least favourite due to the subject matter.

2) Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. Set exclusively on the Eastern Front and featuring Armies from The Soviet Union, Finland, Hungary, Rumania, Poland, Italy and our old favourites, Germany. Although it has a wider timeline than CM:BO, if you want to play as any of the western powers, you can't. Improved technology and different terrain and tactics for fighting in Russia.

3) Combat Mission: Afrika Korps. Set in Crete, North Africa and Italy, this game also has a wide timeline and features Armies from Western Europe, the USA and - hey wow - Germany! Since this is the final version using this particular game engine, it's the most technically advanced, with smoke and dust effects and widely varying terrain - including the horrid desert landscape (very difficult to tell terrain height unless you get "down and dirty" with your troops). Alas however, no King Tiger Tanks if you want to play as Germany (this is historically accurate - they were never deployed in the areas featured in this game).

Dr. S.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
A simple poll to seek opinions from Combat Mission players on which version of the game is their favourite or the "best".

Although each edition of CM is an improvement over the previous release, each game is distinctly different from the others as they feature different campaigns and participating armies and individual units.

So which is the "best"? And why?

Dr. S.
Thanks for this poll Dr. S. I am interested in seeing which one is the best, in case I am to buy one.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For me it has to be CM:AK simply because it has the widest terrain features (barren desert, through to dusty mountains right up to lush green forests), and a lengthy timeline that allows you to select combatants from relatively early in the war right up until its end.

CM:BB has to be a VERY close second as it has features that even CM:AK does not such as allowing sewer movement in city maps to simulate the realities of urban conflict and the ability to create large factory complexes to fight over.

Plus of course you get to play around with Russian Tanks!

In my view, there's very little in CM:BO that can't be recreated in CM:AK.

Dr. S.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me it has to be CM:AK simply because it has the widest terrain features (barren desert, through to dusty mountains right up to lush green forests), and a lengthy timeline that allows you to select combatants from relatively early in the war right up until its end.

CM:BB has to be a VERY close second as it has features that even CM:AK does not such as allowing sewer movement in city maps to simulate the realities of urban conflict and the ability to create large factory complexes to fight over.

Plus of course you get to play around with Russian Tanks!

In my view, there's very little in CM:BO that can't be recreated in CM:AK.

Dr. S.
Dr. S, I agree with you on all your points. I love the series period, but I love CMAK the most. Can't wait for CM2.

BigMik1

Marines

Reaction score
I honestly wish I had gotten into this game. I have never owned a single full version of however the demo I played for CM: BB was a total blast so I would have to vote for this edition.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
I honestly wish I had gotten into this game. I have never owned a single full version of however the demo I played for CM: BB was a total blast so I would have to vote for this edition.
Need to get one, it's a blast!!

BigMik1

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just bought CMBB at Electronic Boutique today and am having a blast. I just got my arse kicked when trying to defend a town with an understrengthed company. But I did manage to knockl out two JStalins. What a rush

Alan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're still thinking of buying...

I have a copy of the BB/AK bundle pack for sale if anyone is interested. It will be for less than waht you would pay in the store.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: If you're still thinking of buying...

Originally posted by printshop
I have a copy of the BB/AK bundle pack for sale if anyone is interested. It will be for less than waht you would pay in the store.
What!!! You are selling it!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!

BigMik1

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: If you're still thinking of buying...

Originally posted by printshop
And I just bought CM: AK....

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, I've only ever played the Barbarossa to Berlin and Overlord Games so I will refrain from voting on this poll until I have played the Afrika Corps version. I love the Barbarossa to Berlin version.

Scipio

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hmm... It's a toss-up b/w CMBO and CMAK
CMAK has a better engine and graphics, but no Pershings or King Tigers.

CMBO has NW-Europe specific stuff (gotta love DD's uniform mods- esp US airborne!) but an inferior engine.

*Me hopes CMX2 will 1)run on a 500-mHz iMac and 2)let you play as the Americans*

God bless,

"Scipio

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi there Scipio!

Are you the same Scipio who is top of the WFHQ Combat Mission ladder?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Dr. S.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi there Scipio!

Are you the same Scipio who is top of the WFHQ Combat Mission ladder?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Dr. S.
:scream:

I did not know we were in the presence of such royalty!

Forgive me master, I did not know who you were...
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*Now for something a little more on-topic*

I just bought AK, but it seems that BB is liked more, and at WFHQ it has more tournaments; so I am assuming it is more common. Should I get BB also?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by gobeavs
*Now for something a little more on-topic*

I just bought AK, but it seems that BB is liked more, and at WFHQ it has more tournaments; so I am assuming it is more common. Should I get BB also?
Yes.

Nothing quite like crushing the Soviets (sorry to our Russian friends, nothing personal).

Dr. S.

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I went with AK as a)It's got Kiwis, b)It's got the desert,my main interest in WW2, and c)you've got dust,which means if the weathers right you can find them hidden 88's.:laugh:

BTW When I just voted now,I clicked the proceed button and was sent to a best German general thread but the CM poll was still on top.The merger's still giving a few bugs huh?

Mephisto

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AnewNewbie said:
BTW When I just voted now,I clicked the proceed button and was sent to a best German general thread but the CM poll was still on top.The merger's still giving a few bugs huh?
Same here. I suppose a few bugs should be expected in such an endeavor. Looks as if the merger has gone well though. :thumup:

As to voting, I voted for BB. I own BO, but not AK (though I have played the demo). I guess there's just a soft spot in my heart for Eastern Front combat having been introduced to WWII wargaming in the way back when with Squad Leader (The Guards Counterattack) and Talonsoft's East Front. :ar15:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CMAK actually has a lot of little improvements over CMBB.

Vehicle turn rates come first. They were plain awful in CMBB, not they are just annoying.

Bogging chance has apparently been reduced.

Infantry doesn't seem to pin as easily.

In CMBB you have more of the annoying orders delays (even on first turn) before 1944 for the Russians.

Overall, CMAK models more symmetric warfare which is easier to get right.

CMBB also has the bug that fortifications count as casualties, victory-point wise. A pain to sort out later.

I forgot some more of these factors, I couldn't stand CMBB anymore, too many 3-minute delays at first turn as a penality for ordering a bunch of green T-34 just down a road with a few bents

Last edited: