FoM - free LOS checks

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had my first experience with a Night Scenario yesterday, and came upon a rule that seemed like it could (potentially) be abused:

E1.21 states that Freedom of Movement is allowed if a Defender has seen a Known enemy unit, and that the LOS checks for determining this are 'free'.

Has anyone experienced this rule being used prior to taking a shot at a potentially out-of-LOS enemy?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ds said:
Has anyone experienced this rule being used prior to taking a shot at a potentially out-of-LOS enemy?
There are a number of rules that allow (even require) free LOS checks. However, I have not seen it that often in night scenarios because there are so few played and the action is at such a close range that LOS is not as much of a question as in day games.

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As much as folks in this forum seem to dislike "house rules", I suggest restricting such free LOS checks to Movement or Advance Phases only in order to negate abuse.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is that abusable any more than taking free LOS checks to strip concealment?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pzkfw5g said:
As much as folks in this forum seem to dislike "house rules", I suggest restricting such free LOS checks to Movement or Advance Phases only in order to negate abuse.
With the small number of night games played where this will come up, I tend to think it is rather a bit much to discuss something like this as a house rule.

If we are discussing house rules, why not have free LOS checks all the time? What's the purpose of not knowing if you can see a guy running out in the open before you fire at him or not--you either see him or you don't.

:wink:

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. Doesn't enhance play at all for me.

And it's sometimes frustrating to play with these 'old timers' who can call off whether there is LOS from hex A to hex B without even looking at the map... Ok, it's sad, but yes, that's what I aspire to someday...

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I think that free LOS checks from Good Order friendly units should be free.

I've never understood the sense in simulating that a unit fires at an enemy without noticing that a house inbetween blocks their view. Wouldn't they know it before they decided to fire?

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
I think that free LOS checks from Good Order friendly units should be free.

I've never understood the sense in simulating that a unit fires at an enemy without noticing that a house inbetween blocks their view. Wouldn't they know it before they decided to fire?
Good point, but for playability sake, LOS is determined from center to center with no adjustment for the actual amount of exposure the target is in. You aren't going to have 1-30+ guys standing in a 1-2m circle firing at another bunch in a similar circle - they will all be dispersed in their respective hexes, each with a different field of view. Maybe the firers saw something and fired only to realize the target moved out of their LOS? Maybe only a few of the firers had a clear LOS? Forcing fire to check LOS is a way to compensate for using hex centers to determine LOS while the guys are really dispersed in the hex.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole, I can answer that, because I talked to Squad Leader designer John Hill last weekend. He was quite proud of this aspect. He gave the examples of 1) a squad firing at "bogies"--i.e., seeing something that wasn't there or hearing units and firing before getting a good shot, and 2) squads firing at something they caught a glimpse of, but didn't have adequate clarity and length of vision to have a good firing effect. Imagine a Hollywood movie where the good guy dashes across a street and the bad guy fires on him, but his bullets clip the wall and don't hit the hero.

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
1) a squad firing at "bogies"--i.e., seeing something that wasn't there or hearing units and firing before getting a good shot, and 2) squads firing at something they caught a glimpse of, but didn't have adequate clarity and length of vision to have a good firing effect.
Essentially what I said, but thanks for the confirmation from an ASL authority.