Flooded grain hex

Jim B

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Comment please on the consequences of flooded grain hexes as called for in SK S19. What is the reference in the rules?

wlk

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Per SRR1:
All grain hexes are flooded hexes and may not be entered by any unit nor do they act as an obstacle/hindrance. Smoke may not be placed in a flooded hex.
There's nothing regarding flooded hexes in the rulebook. What additional information are you missing/expecting ?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Comment please on the consequences of flooded grain hexes as called for in SK S19. What is the reference in the rules?
The Scenario Special Rules are often used to make additional "one-off" rules for situations not covered by the rulebook. It's a way of expanding the rules for individual scenarios to better capture the feel of the actual historical situation being modelled. In this case, all it is saying is pretend all the grain hexes are actually regular open ground that is under deep water that can't be moved through, and ignore the effects of grain on line-of-sight.

The SSR system allows for much more flexibility in tailoring the rules set to individual engagements in a quick and effective manner.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSRs are "supposed" to be self-contained, in that they completely define anything that is extra, different, in addition to, etc. from the SK rules. In this case they are that.

I do note, however, that ANY AND ALL rules that the SSR does not SPECIFICALLY alter/overrule/cancel/etc STILL APPLY. So in this case, should your back be to a water hex(es) and be FORCED to rout and your only legal rout would be into water, then the unit would die for Failure to Rout since it cannot enter the water.

Jim B

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, SQLGuru, your advice made me reexamine the board and the possibilities with a new understanding...It became clear to me during this scenario, with your advice, that the water filled grain hexes were not an option. It is for me, six weeks into my serious effort to learn the game (with the help of very patient mentors, btw) a combination of trying to tie together the various related, tangential rules, that seem magically to come together at the moment of decision to thwart/destroy me......a common experience I imagine for similarly slow Newbies. I find that when the game presents something new to me such as SSR authority, from a SK 2 perspective, I do not yet have the overarching ASL worldview which allows experienced folks to intuit when rules or SSRs might provoke this or that action. At this point, I'm still desperately grappling with just trying to remembering resids, the pluses and minuses of CX, moving acquisitions, what a k/2 means, backblast, and Making Advance Ph Great Again.

Remember, it always looks darkest just before everything goes pitch black.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am happy to see another "serious student" of ASL Starter Kit! I hope you are a member of the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit Facebook group that I moderate. I, and others, have put up a tremendous amount of helpful stuff for all levels of players!!