flight sims?

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of computer do you have? Mine is crap and I'm too poor to afford a new one. I can fly IL-2 Forgotten Battles quick missions and everything is very fast, but not the campaigns. In campaigns the battlefield is very busy with CPU-intensive ground & air action and my computer just rolls over and dies.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I recently bought a new one. Old one was PII 350 MHz etc pathetic old junk
New one is
2,6 GHz dual
100 or so GB hard disc
I think 512 arghh they fooled me I don't know
Graphic is AGP 4 or 8x and I can do ok with 3d CAD programs

I am at the very limit of my tech knowledge here!!!!

But I suppose if there is a crisis I could by a mega heavy duty graphics card - I just refrain from buying some chicks some drinks the coming weeeks. I was out and you know what they charged me for a drink in the hottest place in the city? 15 USD. It's sick.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dicke Bertha said:
I recently bought a new one. Old one was PII 350 MHz etc pathetic old junk
New one is
2,6 GHz dual
100 or so GB hard disc
I think 512 arghh they fooled me I don't know
Graphic is AGP 4 or 8x and I can do ok with 3d CAD programs
Mine is a 4 year old 800Mhz so you've got like 4 or 5 times the power (other newer components add power too, it's not just the CPU). You'll love the sights, sounds and special effects of IL-2 with that kind of hardware.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bedtime overdue. Thanks Monster, tomorrow after work I'll try the new controls. Will report on progress. An icy cool beer awaits you in the mess, if I return from my mission.
:)

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dicke Bertha said:
Bedtime overdue. Thanks Monster, tomorrow after work I'll try the new controls. Will report on progress. An icy cool beer awaits you in the mess, if I return from my mission.
:)
I've got a few Heinis in the fridge, I'll be OK tonight.

Priest

Reaction score
Hello Dicke a lot of IL-2 pilots fly at Hyperlobby, also check out the IL-2 board at:

http://www.frugalsworld.com/

Click on forums, they have an IL-2 board where you can get most of you questions answered about add-ons and such.

Last edited:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks Priest. Checked the url, nice, added to favorites. Managed to actually find the enemy today flying a Yak 3 vs the AI, got into a dogfight, got shot down straight away by some nasty Me 109. Have to get those parts Monster mentioned straight...mainly the padlock views...

Priest

Reaction score
Just keep at it Dicke it'll come to you, when I first attempted a manual carrier landing in my FA-18 I crashed into the fantail...a lot. Now, I can routinely put the bird on the third wire, just takes practice.

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Haven´t been playing it for months...this thread woke my slumbering interest. I recommend The Forgotten Battles -supplement. The aircraft and damage modeling are even better and there are campaigns for hungarian and finnish pilots too. I´ve got Saitek X45 joystick with a BIG throttle-pad, rudder and alot of buttons. No FF there but it´s just perfect though expensive.

Hey maybe after some practice we can establish one of those fightersquads the hyperlobby is full of! The WFHQ Flying Circus or sumptin :cheeky:

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
a "fun" wfhq squad would be cool..... im incredible.inc on hyperlobby. i play a couple of times a week. [Aces expansion pack]

Hurmio

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
About il-2 and FB. I think flying is easier in FB. Engines are more powerfull and violent spins and stalls are much more rare. Also recovering from a spin is much easier now than in the early days of the il-2. So if you Dicke Bertha have only the original il-2 i recommend you get the Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion Pack.

You might be interested to try out the J8A, which is a swedish version of the british gladiator bi-plane. It comes in AEP. The model is among the best in the game.

I think the best way to learn the game is to concentrate first on one plane. Learn it's strengts and weaknesses and use them to the max. For example you should not try to turn fight when flying a FW190 against the more nimble russian birds, like LA's and YAK's. Instead use your superior climb rate and roll.

You can learn these things quite fast especially when flying online. The AI pilots are still quite dumb and predictable. Also the flight model for AI planes is very simple and they tend fly like UFO's sometimes. This got a bit better with the AEP but it's still a problem.

You can find me in HyperLobby as JG52_Turmio

Matti

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Writing a thank you letter to you all boys, before I take off to face the Me 109 death. Good tips, I will try to take them to me.

The squadron idea is also a good one, no excellent! :thumup: I hope with some practice I could be worthy to join whoever of you commands that sqn. Initially, I could make sure the mess has cold beers for you aces when you return. Of course, I would also polish your Me-262's in between actions :love:

Your own little WfHQ Sqn Groupie/Wannabee ;)

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
WW2 flight sims usually don't take long to get used to as much as sims of more modern aircraft since they lack the more complex aviation systems of their more modern counterparts so you don't need to spend so much time learning how to operate the radar and weapon systems. WW2 flight sims however will require a considerable number of time practicing your flying skills, particularly your gunnery skills.

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I´m going to need a heavy duty 3D-card. Mine coughs a bit too much (GeForce4 MX440 (64MB)) when there´s enough iron in the sky. Don´t understand how I could have played this over a year with this piece of plastic...Also, I need to brush my takeoff. In the beginning I decided to learn to fight first and leave the flying for the autopilot. Well, after a year I´m pretty good when it comes to combat, but still can´t take off or stay in formations.
So somebody else has to be our commander. Actually I was going to suggest "We die alone together" as our motto :dead:

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't really like modern flight sims. BVR combat is boring. On the other hand, WW2-era, guns only energy fighting is like a game of chess.

fulcrum7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Käki said:
I
So somebody else has to be our commander. Actually I was going to suggest "We die alone together" as our motto :dead:
That was from Band of Brothers, right? It will describe the probobal casualty rate, though. :devil:

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
fulcrum7 said:
That was from Band of Brothers, right? It will describe the probobal casualty rate, though. :devil:
That´s where I learned it from. Though it was we STAND alone...not DIE ofcourse, that wouldn´t have been too encouraging. At least I wouldn´t have joined them. :rolleyes:

Updated my videocard today. Seems to run a bit smoother, I shot down 3 m.41 Il-2 with Brewster right away in one mission. Looks good on my record.

Now back to those takeoffs....(not to mention the landing) :surprise:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
:cry: Got shot down by enemy bombers today :eek:

I think I'll want the FB, I have an outstanding ability to get into stall and spin, need more HORSEPOWER!. :cheeky: