Flattop and similar game

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can anyone answer this question?

I was thinking about a WWII naval game that focused on carrier warfare in the Santa Cruz, Coral Sea, Rabaul, Guadalcanal area. I believe that this game was named Flattop.

There was a 'sister' game to Flattop that was centred on the Midway battle. It used the same game system as Flattop but just a different map.

Can anyone tell me the name of this second game? Was it CV? Midway? Another name?

Secondly, does anyone still have this second unnamed game?

Thanks.
Herman

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flat Top

Best game out there on the Solomon Islands campaign. Play with 3 boards and a moderator it is a blast!

An opinion,
Jimfer

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Doctor said:
I have CV. It's packed up in a box somewhere. I don't recall the publisher...SPI?
if memory serves, flat top and CV were both Yaquinto games pretty darn good games at that. By the way that same company also featured the first set of the Jim Day games aka Panzer, 88, and Armor. Very nice indeed.

john

:cheeky:

Priest

Reaction score
@ DOUGHBOY

Flat Top was picked up by AH, or at least that is where I got my copy. Another good game is a solitaire game by VG called Carrier.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
@ DOUGHBOY

Flat Top was picked up by AH, or at least that is where I got my copy. Another good game is a solitaire game by VG called Carrier.
Priest,

Do you still have the rulebook for Flat Top?

BigMik1

loosetiger

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CV and Flattop are indeed sister games - both designed by S. Craig Taylor, Jr. CV was a Yaquinto game and a followup to Flattop which was originally a Battleline Publications and later picked up by Avalon Hill. Taylor is quoted as follows "...CV is my second game on carrier warfare in World War II. The first, Flattop, done for Battleline Publications two years ago covered the battles in the Coral Sea - Guadalcanal area. CV reflects two more years of research, playtesting, and just plain thinking and arguing about the topic of World War II carrier operations. CV is the result of those efforts, and provides a detailed model of the events that led to and caused the decisive Battle of Midway." If one possesses both games it is considered advisable to use the CV rules for both as the CV rules are somewhat more refined and are what the designer had intended to be used for both. By the way I just picked up a mint in shrink copy of CV on Ebay for $26.00 US so am in possession of a spare CV rulebook as well as a spare Flattop rulebook. Contact me at murray@cablerocket.com and we'll talk.

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I found the answer to my question.