Flame Throwers vs Concealed tank

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey everyone,

OK I understand that the TK# is an 8 with a flame thrower vs a tank and a 4 at long range. What happens if the tank is concealed? Is the TK# then a 4 and 2 respectively?

Mike

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But if that tank is in a cave . . .

8 and 4

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What if the target vehicle is in motion? What if the FT-capable firing vehicle is in motion? What if it the FT-capable vehicle firing needs to change it's TCA or VCA? What it has only seen it's target for 1/2 MP?

Yes, 8 and 4

This is a broken rule that needs revision. Right up there with foxhole exit, and throwing molotovs at empty hexes to start fires when kindling is prohibited.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
?
What if the target vehicle is in motion? What if the FT-capable firing vehicle is in motion? What if it the FT-capable vehicle firing needs to change it's TCA or VCA? What it has only seen it's target for 1/2 MP?

Yes, 8 and 4

This is a broken rule that needs revision. Right up there with foxhole exit, and throwing molotovs at empty hexes to start fires when kindling is prohibited.
Hmm. I dunno. I guess it's a design for effect which highlights just how much tank crews didn't like flamethrowers (anything worse than being cooked inside a tank??). You sure steer clear of them when in a tank. I think it works from that perspective

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Right up there with foxhole exit, and throwing molotovs at empty hexes to start fires when kindling is prohibited.
Hum? How would that work?

"A22.613 vs TERRAIN: Any Infantry unit with a MOL (ascertained by making the MOL Check dr of 22.611) may add +2 to its Kindling Attempt DR (B25.11). Unlike the other uses of a MOL, the user is in no jeopardy of breaking for using it to enhance his Kindling Attempt DR."

If Kindling is NA, no Kindling Attempt at all - much less adding +2 to the DR, no?
Am I missing something?

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are several possible consequences to a MOL attack. If the Original colored dr of the IFT DR is a 6, the unit using the MOL is broken (only one unit if being used by a FG) and both the FP of the unit and the MOL it contributed to the attack are voided, and a Flame is placed in the thrower's Location. The breaking of the unit does not void its FG. If the Original colored dr of the IFT DR is a 1, a Flame is placed in the target Location. In both cases, the Flame is placed only if the Location contains Burnable Terrain. If the Location containing the Flame is a Fortified Building or a non-building Location subject to adverse weather, the EC drm must also be consulted to determine if the Flame is placed. For purposes of Flame determination only, the white dr of the MOL attack DR is modified by -1 if in a Fortified Building (23.94) or by the appropriate EC DRM (25.5) for adverse weather; a Flame is placed only if the Final white dr is ≥ 1.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A 2 in 6 chance of a flame in one or other location if you get a mol. It's not a kindling attempt but the consequence of an attack. You don't need a known target to use a mol in the attack.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reason I originally posted question was that there was no indicator in the flame thrower rules as to how to handle it and the rat chart that I am using indicates 8 and 4 at long range on the HE and Flame destruction table. After posting I found the answer in chapter C under the destruction table rules.

Thansk for the assist everyone.

Mike

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A 2 in 6 chance of a flame in one or other location if you get a mol. It's not a kindling attempt but the consequence of an attack. You don't need a known target to use a mol in the attack.
Ah, of course!

Just recently, I played a scenario in which my side had MOL and Kindling was NA. I read the MOL rules up and came to the conclusion, that attacking terrain wouldn't do the trick, overlooking the obvious that the 'accidents' of the 1 & 6 on the cdr in one's own hex or the other will.

Sidenote:
In my game, I used PBF and FL-attacks to 'accidentally' set fire to some Huts.

von Marwitz

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In addition to MOL use vs. empty hexes, the rules now allow flame start by using point blank fire/MG fire vs. huts; the use of WP in very dry conditions; use of HE/DC via KIA results, and the use of flamethrowers to start fires.

For me the DC/HE and FT use to start fires doesn't bother me. These are major assets and might be used up or break.

In my personal opinion, if kindling is NA (and usually it should be) then both the use of MOL vs an empty hex AND firing against huts without enemy units (known or concealed) should be prohibited.

Paul

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes, 8 and 4

Seconded. I considered asking Pleva if I could borrow his Albany FT rule for the Bitter Ender, but I don't think we have more than 2 scenarios on the playlist that has a FT in the OB.

I'm not optimistic that the FT rules will change anytime soon.