Flags and unit insignia

Which do you prefer: flas or unit insignia?

• Flags

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Unit insignia

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I like both. Whatever.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I've been asked on more than one occasion (recently) what happened to the unit insignia that used to be displayed on the forum. Here is the answer.

I can display two images on the forum for each user with the default software. One is an avatar, which is currently being used for individual "user images", and the other is a rank. We currently have the software set up with only one "rank." The rank in this case is the flag and is assigned based on which usergroup the person is a member of and has set to be displayed. The reputation feature can also display an image, but it is currently turned off.

There are several possible combinations here. We could bring back the real rank insignia and have them displayed as reputations. The problem here is that new members of Warfare HQ also get confused about the ranks on the forum and the ranks on the ladder. Most new people just don't understand that the ladders and the forums really have nothing to do with one another. Another thing that often confuses new users is the user images. People don't understand why a member chooses to use one user image on the ladder and another on the forum. Some users even make the mistake of using a different user name! That really gets confusing, even for me.

The Warfare HQ staff are exploring the possibility of linking the ladders to the forum. The advantage would be obvious: it would enable the member to update their email on the forum, which would automatically update the ladder as well. Same for the other user information that is common between the ladder and forum. This will take some work and we are still exploring it. We'll let you know how it turns out.

The flags are currently being displayed where the unit insignia used to be. I can't display both. I know that some people really liked the unit insignia while others prefer to know where the poster is from. The advatage of using the unit insignia is that the poster's location is displayed as a text item anyway, so it's really a matter of personal preference. I'll go with what you guys decide.

Flags vs. unit insignia.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I voted flags, mainly because I am used to them now, but anything goes provided I do not have to show a real picture of me ;).
Thanks for all the good work on the forums and behind the scenes.
Nemo

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I voted for I like both, though some may feel a little more attached to their countries flag as to some unit insignia.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I hope that it works out that you can link the ladder and forums. That will make things a little less confusing. I've only ever seen this site with the flags so I don't know about the unit insignias.:eek:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
I voted Flags, as a lot of the discussions on here get political/idealogical and it helps to know the nationality of a poster - in that sort of discussion as the US and the EU have different definitions when it comes to these subjects.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, flags do have one other advantage--it doesn't require any effort on my part! :D

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
having been away for couples of days...

Anyway, I think:
1. I like flags and it is simple.
2. I like the idea of linking forums with ladders. The different Usernames and Images are truly confusing. I have been through the difficulties to figure out who is who many times.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
ER_Chaser said:
having been away for couples of days...

Anyway, I think:
1. I like flags and it is simple.
2. I like the idea of linking forums with ladders. The different Usernames and Images are truly confusing. I have been through the difficulties to figure out who is who many times.
ER in old style color your signature is unreadable:angry:

Der Wanderblind:eek:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
jlbetin said:
ER in old style color your signature is unreadable:angry:

Der Wanderblind:eek:
oh.... did not notice ... I will try.. thx for the headup..