FKAC Reprint

stuart62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I understood FKAC was being reprinted this year, had heard would be printed before the Doomed Battalions Reprint. Anybody ideas when this is likely to happen?

Stuart

Last edited:

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Brian at Consim
Brian Youse - Aug 3, 2008 7:57 am (#60728 Total: 60807)

Also, what about the FKaC?

DB is next, then FKAC reprint, we'll probably end up doing them at the same time if the countersheets work out.
Sorry, no time frame.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I understood FKAC was being reprinted this year, had heard would be printed before the Doomed Batallions Reprint. Anybody ideas when this is likely to happen?

Stuart
No. That has never been the case. It has always been DB first, then FKaC. Pay attention. Your sources are just wrong.:)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understood FKAC was being reprinted this year, had heard would be printed before the Doomed Batallions Reprint. Anybody ideas when this is likely to happen?

Stuart
Here is more from Brian on Consimworld. I would guess the interesting part is the place where he says "Why is it now so important for everything to be available?":

Brian Youse from ConSimWorld 8-4-2008 said:
I agree with this on Beyond Valor, its absence is an issue. Of course it has been unavailable for what, a week or two? Isn't it a little early to panic?

It won't be unavailable for long, nor is it merely calling the printer and saying knock off another few k of a module with 14 countersheets (nearly twice a large countersheet run) and 10 maps - the thing costs a fortune _our cost_, so situations have to be set up where we can minimize our costs. Otherwise the alternative would be to put it on preorder - how long do you think it would take for a game that is what, 23 years old?, to hit?

WRT the rest of the "core system" I lose considerably less sleep. Why is it now so important for everything to be available? I get the occasional email "I won't learn ASL because its not all available". Talk about instant-gratification. Perhaps this is the side-effect of the video game era. When I started learning ASL I got Beyond Valor and had to wait 6 weeks for the rulebook to arrive!!! Then Paratrooper came out. A year later Yanks. Etc.

Why doesn't this model work now? Because it -used- to exist? That's fine, let's all storm the gates at Decision Games and demand reprints of every SPI game they license.

But beyond the rulebook (which, FYI, is about to go temporarily out of print while we're waiting for new binders) and Beyond Valor I have to admit i'm more concerned about keeping ASLSK1-3 in print.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Here is more from Brian on Consimworld. I would guess the interesting part is the place where he says "Why is it now so important for everything to be available?":
:clap: :clap: :clap:

stuart62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No. That has never been the case. It has always been DB first, then FKaC. Pay attention. Your sources are just wrong.:)
I was actually told this when ringing the MMP office, was obviously misinformed.

As too expecting a British module to be available, having purchased AP4 a third of the scenarios aren't available to me as I am unable to obtain a British module without paying extortionate amounts on ebay. I know I can still get Chaper H for the British direct from MMP and use other peoples counters when playing FTF or use VASL but would prefer to have the whole module.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After reading that snippet from Youse, people give me a hard time for not getting with the "video game era"? :rolleyes:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was actually told this when ringing the MMP office, was obviously misinformed.

As too expecting a British module to be available, having purchased AP4 a third of the scenarios aren't available to me as I am unable to obtain a British module without paying extortionate amounts on ebay. I know I can still get Chaper H for the British direct from MMP and use other peoples counters when playing FTF or use VASL but would prefer to have the whole module.

In the meantime British counters can be found in:
SK2
SK3
Pegasus Bridge
A Bridge Too Far (good luck here)
Operation Veritable
WOA

With the (obvious) exception of WOA, none will give you a complete Brit OB, but should be enough in most cases to get you up and running. I would not discount the community's largess, either. You will never know if you don't ask.

I, for years, could not play all those scenarios utilising the AoO boards: I managed, and so will you. It can be frustrating, sure, but you'll get there, eventually.

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the meantime British counters can be found in:
SK2
SK3
Pegasus Bridge
A Bridge Too Far (good luck here)
Operation Veritable
WOA

With the (obvious) exception of WOA, none will give you a complete Brit OB, but should be enough in most cases to get you up and running. I would not discount the community's largess, either. You will never know if you don't ask.

I, for years, could not play all those scenarios utilising the AoO boards: I managed, and so will you. It can be frustrating, sure, but you'll get there, eventually.
You're scareing me, recommending an even rarer module to replace the replacement module so someone can have the British OOB, what is wrong with you?

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought this was the most interesting thing Youse said!

"...and Beyond Valor I have to admit i'm more concerned about keeping ASLSK1-3 in print."

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I thought this was the most interesting thing Youse said!

"...and Beyond Valor I have to admit i'm more concerned about keeping ASLSK1-3 in print."
MMP may be making more money from the Starter kits, and ASL has just become an Albatross, if that is the case, can't blame them and I wish them the best.

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP may be making more money from the Starter kits, and ASL has just become an Albatross, if that is the case, can't blame them and I wish them the best.
Rather than making mad money from Starter Kits, I bet it is more of a "new product versus old product" thing.

I think it is far more likely that MMP is just willing to ride its aging base of consumers into the grave with new Action Packs, etc., which would seem likely to have high margins. Remember as well the age of MMP's owners. As I understand it, they are not young 20 and 30 somethings themselves concerned about the future (e.g. next 30 years out).

Who cares if no new players get into the game (often at the cost of keeping an inventory of product around), if they can keep selling new stuff to the dwindling but still sizable base of players who already exist?

Hell, if I had a customer base that would just be guaranteed to lap up a couple thousand of whatever I printed, but only if it was "NEW CONTENT!," I'd be hard pressed to explain why I was spending time doing anything else, particularly if I was of a certain age (presumably the same age as a lot of my customers) and could just ride into the sunset shoveling products out to them.

It's fun to armchair analyze game companies! :clown:

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're scareing me, recommending an even rarer module to replace the replacement module so someone can have the British OOB, what is wrong with you?

The list is of modules that contain at least partial Brit OBs; the lack of FKaC, therefore, is not the lack of options for acquiring one. Of course, ABtF and WOA might be hard to track down reasonably, but not impossible. Are you telling me you've never stumbled across an anachronistic, out-of-the-way outlet that had the odd ASL material? Or someone clearing out their games?

Or, as apparently is the norm above the border, should I cry in my oatmeal that all the easy options are gone, while ignoring several doable possibilities? (e.g. SKs 2&3, OpV: out of stock yes, but merely needs units built). The fact remains that the Brit OB can be had, perhaps to a lesser degree than that of FKaC, but still be had none the less.

I stand by the ASL community as the best option for attempting to find something one desires, especially main modules, as alot of players/clubs buy several copies of each release.

One can put their heads to work on resolving the issue or they can use their mouths only and complain about it. Individual choice...

Last edited:

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes very true, just so long as everyone realizes that, and buys modules on the first or second print run since there might not be a 3rd or 4th depending on how much of the "new" stuff" is selling and keeping the printer busy. And i agree its a smart business move, if its working go with it. not to mention hopefully expanding the player base.

So get your "Core" modules while they are hot!

Or should we start calling the Starter Kits the "CORE" module since they do have priority now, and i read recently in this forum that HASL or Historical study modules arent considered "Core" so we better buy those "bonus material" modules to while we can get them.

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Or, as apparently is the norm above the border, should I cry in my oatmeal that all the easy options are gone, while ignoring several doable possibilities? (e.g. SKs 2&3, OpV: out of stock yes, but merely needs units built). The fact remains that the Brit OB can be had, perhaps to a lesser degree than that of FKaC, but still be had none the less.

One can put their heads to work on resolving the issue or they can use their mouths only and complain about it. Individual choice... [/B}

Coming from a Yank, this is hilarious, great stuff, tell me, do you wear a Canadian shoulder patch when you go traveling?

There really is nothing more to say.

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes very true, just so long as everyone realizes that, and buys modules on the first or second print run since there might not be a 3rd or 4th depending on how much of the "new" stuff" is selling and keeping the printer busy. And i agree its a smart business move, if its working go with it. not to mention hopefully expanding the player base.

Or should we start calling the Starter Kits the "CORE" module since they do have priority now, and i read recently in this forum that HASL or Historical study modules arent considered "Core" so we better buy those "bonus material" modules to while we can get them.
These could be words of wisdom.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rather than making mad money from Starter Kits, I bet it is more of a "new product versus old product" thing.
Naaa...I would say it is a cost/effort thing. SK's are less cost and effort to produce than a module like BV or FKaC. Each SK is totally self-contained which makes them a much easier and broader sell. Which is why we are headed toward SK-AP's and SK-HASL's.

Face it, the SK's are no longer a teaching tool for ASL...it is MMP's replacement for ASL.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think some people are taking out of context what Brian said. Here is his full quote:

"But beyond the rulebook (which, FYI, is about to go temporarily out of print while we're waiting for new binders) and Beyond Valor I have to admit i'm more concerned about keeping ASLSK1-3 in print."

I take this to mean:

Most important - The Rulebook and Beyond Valor
2nd most important - The Starter Kits
Third in importantance - The rest of the core modules

I can understand this reasoning. To play ASL the only items that are absolutely necessary are the Rulebook and Beyond Valor. The Starter Kits are selling like gang busters and are bringing new players into the fold. Most of them are sticking to the SKs, but that's okay as there are some who graduate to the full game. Finally, it's the rest of the core modules, which 95-98% of us have anyway, so why print 2000 copies for 100 people right away when they could be selling 3000 copies of a new module to 2000 players?

I would have a problem if the SK had higher priority over The Rulebook and Beyond Valor.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
II take this to mean:

Most important - The Rulebook and Beyond Valor
2nd most important - The Starter Kits
Third in importantance - The rest of the core modules
I would have to agree with you, it is how I took it as well