Fixes in the non-public versions (Current build: 2.3.65)

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
tws71669 said:
Thanks Don,

I hope you can get some time to tweak your map-mod. I have had a great time using it, really breathes life into the map-making process.
What kind of maps are you working on?

And I would like to play you, but would you please send the first file. I'm not sure I truely understand pbem in POA2. Mail me at mark at twins4ever dot dk

Cheers
Mark

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Im impressed by what I am hearing about POA-2, all this beta testing talk of all the new builds is really getting me champing at the bit to hold of these new patches, good work with all the beta testing guys, pleased to hear its going well, looks like Scott is going to do this game proud ;)

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember an email he sent once when I was talking about an error I found and he siad..."sorry I overlooked this... in my defense I have been working 50+ hours straight"

50 hours?
good GOD!
:nuts:

HercMighty

Reaction score
tws71669 said:
50 hours?
good GOD!
:nuts:
I am personally not impressed. I work typically 55hrs to provide our customers with the support they need. The only difference is we give our customers solutions in a reasonable amount of time and we don't release products that are as bad off as POA2 was and still is.

I work as a electronic repair technician diagnosing and troubleshooting new manufactored goods for military applications. Most of which operate in enviroments where life and death are real concerns.

I spent my hard earned money on a game that they released. Overtime that I have put in, and even months later I still cannot play it. And the general concesesus is it might be many more months just to get it on its feet.

So sorry, I am not impressed at all.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I'm a programmer too and when we peaks (usally when our customers start to use our system) we work about 60-80 hours a week. But working over is NO goal.

Herc, I really understand what you mean, beacuse you payed for this game 6 months (or more) ago and you are still stuck on build 72, and me I bought it 3 weeks ago and I'm playing away at build 90.
IMHO POA2 is starting to be a game one can play know and I'm sure you will feel the same when Scott releases the next public build.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one here is asking for you to be impressed, comparisons in this are stupid.
Scott's a one man show pretty much on this, I am sure you have a company and staff to do a lot of work.
I bring the point up to add some color to the conversation.
However much time you throw into a project matters nothing to me. You're not patching POA2.
But if you were and you mentioned how hard you were working, I would be very pleased. That's called Gratitude where I come from.

HercMighty

Reaction score
So I should be grateful I have a game that does not play? I should be grateful that beta testers say even though bugs are being fixed the game will still not be playable in the near future? I should be grateful I have to spend more money for a map maker so I can make more scenerios that won't work?

I didn't release this game and call it good. I am not the one who won't come here and answer questions. I am not the one who won't return emails and leave gamers hanging.

So you take my money, sell me a game that doesn't work, ignore my emails on bug reports and then ask me to smile and be grateful? Where I come from they would tell you where to stick it.

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
HercMighty said:
I should be grateful that beta testers say even though bugs are being fixed the game will still not be playable in the near future?
Who says that ?

And if you don't belive in Scott making the game playable then your are free to sell it, to get some of your cash back.

Last edited:

HercMighty

Reaction score
Hub said:
From my experiences so far-

It still has a long way to go before it is completely right- there are a lot of small, irritating things that aren't fixed yet, and a few major ones, too.

My own personal feelings towards the game are that even though I waited in anticipation for years for it, I'm pretty sick of it now. I have spent many hundreds of frustrating hours in testing, and between that and all the micromanaging involved, I doubt I will ever play it much, even if it does get completely fixed. Unless you play very small scenarios or are a masochist at heart, right now, it's just too unwieldy. Maybe things will change - who knows.
I know Hub isn't complaining but I think he has been the most realistic.

RobAPol

Reaction score
Country
ll
HercMighty said:
So I should be grateful I have a game that does not play? I should be grateful that beta testers say even though bugs are being fixed the game will still not be playable in the near future? I should be grateful I have to spend more money for a map maker so I can make more scenerios that won't work?

I didn't release this game and call it good. I am not the one who won't come here and answer questions. I am not the one who won't return emails and leave gamers hanging.

So you take my money, sell me a game that doesn't work, ignore my emails on bug reports and then ask me to smile and be grateful? Where I come from they would tell you where to stick it.
I think the support is very good for POA2 and have had replies directly from Scott on numerous occasions. I don't know manay companies where the lead developer does this. :)

However, (and yes I too am a software developer) the game should never have been released in its orginal state period. I don't know whose descision it was, but I think they have caused a lot of damage by doing so. The orginal build was so bad you would be lucky if you got past 2 turns without a C++ exception. If software got released in that state in my organization heads would roll. :devil:

Cougar_DK

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I totally agree RobAPol. My guess is that they hoped to get some income from the holiday season (X-mas).

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what's your point ? If you're not happy, quit whining and move on.
nuf said...

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with Herc on many of his points. To lash out at him is not at all justified. Thinking this game is at all playable in any form that it was meant to be is like whistling past the graveyard. I am a big HPS fan...I have every TOP series game and addon (close to $300 investment), and evry Squad Battle game (at least another $300), and POA2/ADC, which is another what $120. I was hoping POA2 would be TOP2 modern and windowed.

I was probably one of the first people to get a paid for released version and immediately statred building new databases. Then I was told I couldn't do that any more. Then I find out the game really doesn't run. Scott refuses to operate or frequent forums so this is the only real place to come and complain.

I still hahve faith that POA2 will eventually get running, but I would be very surprised if any follow-up products show up. The morass that POA2 has become is not going to generate the large user base that is needed to move into areas like WW2 or other conflicts. And if its like HPS's other titles, it will take years for addons to come out. This is one of the major disadvantages of companies like HPS and Battlefront not releasing open products.

With that said, I still have faith in Scott. I chalk POA2 up to "lessons-learned". I still will frequent these boards hoping something clicks, but my limited gaming time and money will move on. But in the meantime, peopel have paid for the right to rant and speculate on motives for POA's release.

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Herc

You didn’t reply to my query on the 9th “Have you asked Scott if you can be added to the beta team? ”

I sure if you were directly involved with beta testing it would be much less frustrating and you would have a better understanding of what Scott is trying to do.

Also many of your criticisms are valid and I for one wouldn’t like to see them stifled. I think everyone here agrees that the POA2 launch was a shambles, but ever since then Scott has been attempting to put things right.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Im very grateful for Scotts efforts recently, the fixes are coming thick and fast and he has not given up, I have hope and I am quite happy to play about with my many other games or go to the pub whilst waiting for the patches, yes I have paid money for it and it doesnt work too well, but I just think of it as a pre-order of the finished game, so my copy isnt going anywhere but staying next to my machine ready for released patches, everything in the game is becoming right, just takes a little patience.

Scott has a delicate balance here POA2\Life im sure we all have to make a balance like this in our lives, lets not forget the man is human.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "beta team" thing really frosts me. Basically, if you want to play a game you paid for, you have to be on the beta team. My limited time that I have already set aside is spent reading this forum to see if anything is fixed. Basically, your choices are beta team or not playing. I have tried a couple of the public betas, but I must say they were pretty unplayable. I can't imagine there are more than a dozen people in the world right now who are playing or willing to play POA2 as it stands, with or without the private beta versions.

I understand Scott's "balance" with work and life. But I have to say that using some kind of forum communication would alleviate some stress. Failure to take advantage of this communication medium versus individual email replies just shows me he is not that that concerned with efficiency.