First Wave at Omaha

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Found this on CH website. Looks like Ray is going the whole hog.

Gold_Sword_Juno.jpg

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys! I am the author of the consolidated rules that you are using. I am interested in your thoughts as you play. With a game of this size, it is impossible to extensively play-test any rules revisions, so any observations or insights that you have are welcome. Here are some thoughts from me and the others who participated in last year's playing at the Texas Team Tournament: The NOBA was too strong. The American BB and CA NOBA fire was rubbling the German positions easily and too quickly. During game play, we dropped the number of black cards in the NOBA decks from 4 (NRBH, but I think that is correct) to 2. Also, we felt that way too many AFVs were on the beach. Historically, most of the AFVs in the first wave were disembarked in DD mode well off shore and had to swim in, with most being lost. I am working on a rules tweak to this. We felt that each German OBA module except the rocket OBA should be allowed a preregistered hex. Lastly, I neglected to create rules for counterbattery NOBA fire against the German OBA. What do you think about this? Thank you, John

So you are the one to thank for doing that. Very nice work.

Here is something I did regarding American counterbattery fire against PRP and I suppose you could adapt them to be used against the German OBA as they came from the S.L counterbattery rules.

Point et Raz de la Percée (PRP) NOBA counterbattery fire

American NOBA against the 4 German ordnance pieces on the PRP play aid is conducted as follows.

PRP counterbattery missions are only conduced during the American Prep Fire Phases and may be attempted starting on Turn 1 by eligible units (USS Texas and the 3 destroyers USS Carmick, Langford, and/or McCook) . No other NOBA missions may be attempted by the NOBA module once a counterbattery mission against PRP has been declared for the rest of the game turn. PRP counterbattery missions are declared before any other American NOBA missions are declared.

Upon a successful card draw gaining battery access for each NOBA module declaring PRP counterbattery fire, the American player makes a random selection between any non-destroyed guns on the PRP playaid for each NOBA module with batter access. If random selection for each individual module selects >= 2 German guns then 1 is randomly selected to be the OBA’s counterbattery mission’s target. Thus a particular German gun can randomly (not purposefully) targeted by multiple NOBA modules.

Once the targets have been selected for the participating NOBA modules the American player makes a DR for each module with a modifier based on the caliber of the NOBA module, and compares the modified dice roll with the following chart.

Dice Roll Result (modifiers -1 150-200mm, additional -1 for each 50mm over 200mm)

2 German Ordnance Destroyed

3-5 German Ordnance Disrupted

6-12 No Effect

Disrupted Ordinance have a Final Fire counter placed on them and may not fire during the DFPh of the current American turn and lose all previously acquired acquisition on the playing area.

Once all 4 German ordinance pieces on the PRP playaid are destroyed the USS Texas is freed for normal NOBA missions and Wn72/PRP is considered destroyed and meets victory condition 13 for the American player

I'm in the middle of playing the combined Omaha using your consolidated rules. So far no complaints, it looks great and liked your suggestions for tuning down the American NOBA. I had played Omaha West years ago and found it was a killer man. It could have stood to been tweaked a bit but then again, the Americans can use the help, one of the biggest tests of personal morale is playing this as American, perhaps even more than Tarawa.

Philippe R

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ohhh we have many,
View attachment 1378
TOBRUK/PANZERSTELLUNG: Two additional type of new Pillbox counters [...] The solid ring around the "SW" notation indicates that the LOS of SW beneath the Tobruk is not restricted in any portion of their CA (i.e., their Field-of-Fire is 360°).
Hello. Im preparing Omaha West for a 3 days event in Normandy in November. Currently, I try to decipher the above rules concerning Tobruk :
- They are Pillbox, so their own hex is not in their CA [B30.1]: right ?
- They have a 360° field of Fire, so the NCA TEM is just for OBA/Indirect and attacks from same hex : right ?
- How do you play A9.21 Field of Fire ? Is the CA of an MMG/HMG frozen after the first Fire ?
I'm just wondering if some MMC can survive adjacent to an HMG in a Tobruk, long enough to advance in CC and even be safe from the HMG during the next PFPh (sitting on top ?)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My interpretation woukd be, it is not a building so .CA is not fixed.
Own hex is not in CA.
NCA modifier is for OBA indirect fire and AP penetration reasons.
If you get into the hex then they cannot bear on you.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm reading through my copy of the rules in preparation for Phillipe's game this weekend, I cannot see any reference to American NOBA in the rules, scenario card or the American set up/wave sheets.

Am I missing something or is the only artillery support the destroyers that enter turn 30 or so?

edit, just rechecked, cant see a single radio, telephone (obviously) or SFCP on the american set up sheets.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You guys still playing this? Seems like a year since a post on it. Is everyone ok?

Philippe R

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello
Another team of 4 players played this scenario from 1st to 4th of November, 2018.
The US made it to the 6th level Hinterland on turn 18. More AAR later.
Here is a picture of Company A, 116th RCT, 29th Inf Div, a turn before it meet its fate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday we moved on after a long summer break.
Finished turn 5, surprised that some of the Americans were able to reach the low sea wall.
Still along way.
Extreme west
View attachment 3280

Next to the one above

View attachment 3281
Just looking at that damned seawall gives me a cold sweat (and I was the Germans)!

Did you guys ever finish?