First Wave at Omaha

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure CH don't get submissions from other designers? A lot of the early stuff was not Ray's designs. Not sure how it is these days.
He occasionally does; the San Marino submission was an example of one. But those are rare. Far more common is something by RT, by himself or in conjunction with Larry Winslow or someone like Mark Porterfield or Pedro Ramis (i.e., his stable).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I was going to mention Larry, Mark and Pedro. Those are the names on some of the latest releases. They are regular CH contributors I take it?

EDIT: Oh and Kurt Martin.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
A small step forward, we are catching up with Omaha east. Did Two turn, the first group of engineer that enter on turn 0, just a lonely LCA with 3 squad on it managed to survive two turn of fire and disembark on the beach only to die to a 1KIA on the leader.
It was not too bad since two MTR81 malfunctioned and where subsequently removed. (It is similar to a success for the Americans on Omaha)

The subsequent waves are coming in, two tank wading ashore are already burning on the beach.
We decided to reduce the German hero rof bonus to +1, it seems to be a bit too deadly to have him add +2 to a HMG, I know historically he caused ALLLLOT of casualties but rof 5 in ASL seems to be to mutch.

WP_20170422_001.jpg

Another view of the eastern part of the beach.

WP_20170411_003.jpg

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know herr pitmann, it is pretty rude of you to troll and derail an AAR. The OP have worked hard on putting together their playing of Omaha and all you do is come in here and spout your nazi like garbage. now go away little corporal and go play your own ASL HASL. Jeez what a wind bag.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That's funny. Kurt left CH about a decade ago, and to my knowledge, hasn't played ATS or ASL since then.
Someone mentioned that King Red (the new release) was designed by Robert Martin. I was wondering if they got the first name muddled up.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Look, I'm only saying that I thought there were designers submitting their stuff to CH and it is not just Ray on his own. The whys and wherefores I know very little about. Kurt's name is on one of my CH modules.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
No problem I was prepared to endure this kind of posts. :)
The module has some minor flaw, but it is an amazing experience to play, and the people that clarified the rules and added some hr made a wonderful job.
I like Pitman review of ASL modules, it is always a nice source of information's and many times I share his view on the products.
I also liked many CH modules I have played, It all depends on who made them.
Generally im more interested on the situation depicted than actual balance of the CG/scenarios.
I enjoyed playing:

Nordic Twilight
Shout for Piat I/II
Gembleux the feint
Peleliu
Red Christmas
Berlin
Hell's Bridgehead
and others

Anyway just stick to the AAR in the future please

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Yes we are moving on, tomorrow we will meet to play more and celebrate the anniversary! there will be more drinking than playing I suspect.
:)
Tomorrow we will catch up with Omaha East and then go on with turn 5 on both module.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent! If you want to read a great book about OE get John C. Mc Manus' book "The Dead And Those About To Die". Can't recommend it enough great from page1.

Last edited:

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Now that we are at turn 5 and the German OBA will start to pound the beaches, I will propose my group the following OBA counter battery fire house rule.
I would like to have your opinion on it.

Naval Unit
USS Arkansas 300mm map 4-6 East
HMS Glasgow 150mm map 1-3 West
FS Georges Leygues 150mm map 4-6 East
USS Carmick 120mm map 1-6 East/West
USS Frankford 120mm map 1-6 East/West
USS McCook 120mm map 1-6 East/West

Two turn after pointe de la Percee suppressed
USS Texas 350mm map 1-3 West

Counter battery
During American Prep fire phase roll for availability of Naval support.
Roll a 1d6 on a 1-4 that ship support is available, 5-6 no support.

Every Ship must chose a German OBA in his map section and roll on the following table

Suppress Table 2d6
2-3 suppress German OBA for 1 (German Defensive/Prep)turn (to next American Prep phase)
4-5 suppress German OBA for 1 fire phase (defensive FF)
6 add a red card to the OBA deck

120mm +1 to the roll
150mm -0 to the roll
300 and more -1 to the roll

Once a destroyer is doing counter battery against an OBA module it must stick to it or spend 3 turn doing nothing to change target.
Suppressed OBA lose contact and access

If a destroyer is used against Pointe de la Percee three turn are needed to switch to counter battery fire.

Use the Pleva OBA rule for German OBA.

Optional: NOBA may be used on map against German position but the SR cannot be converted to FFE if it is in a 20 hex range from an American unit.

Last edited:

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
This is the end of turn 4 on the Omaha East part of the map,
The good news is that during the American dfph the LC and troops on the beach managed to break 4 German squads and also kill an half squad with the sniper.
There is hope that on the 5th turn someone will reach the seawall.

The German broke the 20L gun and lost it at the first repair attempt.
On the other side another 10 squads I think were lost under fire or on a couple of broached LC.
In a desperate attempt to get some cover we assembled a MTR81 on the first beach hex, even if we will probably lose it on turn 9 when the tide will raise, the smoke it can place is desperately needed.

An American hero was created and it is still alive, a rare thing to behold on Omaha beach.
The lack of Armored support on this part of the beach is terrible, on the other side, the mass of troops coming ashore together can mean a lot.
End of Turn 4.jpg