First issue Feedback

Kevinkin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you go to a news stand like Barnes and Noble - for the past few years - the military mags have all been the same.
Anyone with a reasonable libary near-by could write these articles. Its all the same ... over and over ... Sure guys waiting in an airport grab the stuff ... At least ACG is trying a slightly different idea. When they have an entire issue devoted to WWII East front ...

We will know they are for real.

- Kevin

Reaction score
As a subscriber to "Military History", "Military Heritage", "World War II", "WW II History" and "Airpower" I have to say "Arm Chair General's" first issue was a very enjoyable read. It certainly is a new approach to military history and I can see it is attempting to appeal to the gamer as well as the scholar. I especially liked the interactive portions and probably most of all the "what if" takes on alternative history. I can say in all my years of reading military history ACG is the first to give Longstreet his full credit due at Gettysburg. Some other publications have said how much an error Picket's Charge was, but none have said that if Longstreet's defensive doctrine in enemy territory had been followed the South would have won the civil war. While this might be a bit of an over statement I certainly agree that Longstreet was one of the first to recognize that the firepower of the rifle had given the defensive greater advantages than it had ever had before and that an army had to take advantage of terrain when the opportunity presented itself.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Magazine Feedback

You guys are taking a cue from these military history zines, which is good, but I like the overall concept of the interactive scenarios. This is something I've been looking for. I've seen Antal's book, `Armor Attacks' (is that right? or something like that.), in a catalog. It's on my wish list. I'm seriously considering
splurging the 25 $'s, and subscribing. At the very least, you can count on my regular patronage. I'm definitely an aspiring Master-
strategist. I love the real-time strategy computer games out now. I've only played `Age Of Empires', and `Starcraft', so far, but look forward to playing others in the future. It's like when you were a kid, playing with your toy soldiers. In the future, do you plan on awarding prizes to the victors of your CDG's? Still, it doesn't really matter, just the prestige of being named winner, and having your accomplishment recognized in print nationwide is enough. I'll probably be submitting scenarios for every issues' CDG, and I'm sure I'll be reading and working out all of the interactive scenarios, in each issue. Pure, vicarious entertainment, as well as mental exercise. Love it. A+ just for the idea to publish such a rag anyway. Later.

GhostSoldier.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I also enjoyed the first issue.

I'll start with the positive - the reconstruction photos were extremely well done. Overall production values were well above average. Mark Bando's article on the battlefield tour was very well done and I'm glad authors of his calibre are contributing to the magazine.

The interactive fiction was an interesting concept. The graphics in support of all the articles were superb; I especially liked the maps for the Bando article.

Very nice to see CM:BB covered in the game review, but this game is over a year old and the latest title in the series, Combat Mission: Afrika Korps, has been out as long as Call of Duty (which was also covered in this issue). The screenshots for CM:BB were subpar, though.

I did like the sneak movie peek, and hope this will be a regular feature also.

Given that this was an introductory issue, I guess it is forgiveable that the meat of the magazine - the main articles - were "softballs" in the sense that they didn't really cover anything new. It is hard not to believe that General Patton and Gettysburg are already pretty well covered in the historical record! There didn't seem to be anything controversial in the coverage, though there were one or two Patton photos I'd not seen before, which is always a treat.

There also seemed to be a large focus on Americans (either WW II or Civil War) and "Nazis", which is a distressing trend in many publications coming out of the 48. Even the article on Sidi Rezegh was illustrated with a photo of Americans (and in Normandy, at that). I hope that future issues will expand coverage to lesser well known nationalities and conflicts.

All in all, a very good start and I look forward to seeing the rest of the issues in my initial subscription.

mt_goodrich

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I picked up my copy at my local WalMart.

Overall, I enjoyed the magazine. Something different and a change from the other magazines that cover military history.

I look forward to the next issue.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback fellas. We really appreciate hearing the positives and listen with open minds to the areas you would like to see changes in.
This magazine and website is a labor of love and so we want it to be the best it can be. Your feedback will help us achieve our goals.
Soon you will see a reader feedback form posted on this website which we would sure appreciate if our magazine readers would fill out.
GhostSoldier...the two best CDG solutions are printed in a future issue along with the historical solution. Your name will appear in over 100,000 copies of the magazine which are distributed each issue as one of our best "Armchair Generals!" We also send an Armchair General certificate to our winners.
Michael Dorosh... Point taken and you can be assured that we will feature all sorts of battles from around the world. In our second issue for example we show you what it would have been like to be a Hoplite in the Ancient Greek days. Our magazine must succeed here in the USA for it to succeed at all so we will have a fair amount of US coverage...but rest assured we plan to cover all sorts of international stuff. As a former Canadian the battle for Quebec, Dieppe and Juno beach all come to mind as good subjects.
Please do keep that feedback coming!

Boar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder ... how long before I receive my first issue if I'm a U.S. subscriber? Anticipation can be a good thing, but ...

It'll probably be in the mail Monday.

(Subscribed Feb. 2)

Reaction score
Keef on Canandian battles

Any chance the 1813 Battle of the Thames might be covered. I had an ancestor die there and his rifle is likely the weapon that later killed chief Tecumseh.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zine Feedback.

I'm also sure, or at least hoped, that you will be varying the settings for your CDG's. Especially time periods, That will allow for different tactics and different modes of warfare. Examples; 17th/ 18th century warfare. Bronze/ Iron Age. Naval, mechanized/ sail. etc. You guys get the idea.

GhostSoldier.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Keef on Canandian battles

Originally posted by Lance Williams
Any chance the 1813 Battle of the Thames might be covered. I had an ancestor die there and his rifle is likely the weapon that later killed chief Tecumseh.
If you know a lot about that battle and want to take a stab at writing about we'll take a look at possibly publishing it here on our website. No promises but we'll take an honest look!

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Zine Feedback.

Originally posted by GhostSoldier
I'm also sure, or at least hoped, that you will be varying the settings for your CDG's. Especially time periods, That will allow for different tactics and different modes of warfare. Examples; 17th/ 18th century warfare. Bronze/ Iron Age. Naval, mechanized/ sail. etc. You guys get the idea.

GhostSoldier.
Right on...expect to see CDG's from amany different eras... Civil War, Ancient, Napoleonic and more. Issue 3's CDG put's you in command of a confederate battalion at the first Bull Run. Our Editor is also a Ancient era fanatic and so expect to see plenty of that too!

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:toast: Just finished the first issue today, and I have to say that "Armchair General" is like no publication I've ever seen. (and that's a good thing) My favorites are the Command Decision Game and the Walk Where They Fought features, though I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. A brilliant beginning to what I expect will be a ground-breaking and thought-provoking publication.

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time that a magazine of this caliber hit the stands. I found it at my local book store in the midst of the SOF, paintball, history mags. I can't wait for the next issue.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We now have a reader survey so you can sound off and rate each section/article/story in the magazine. Found something that you just didn't like or feel it didn't fit with the rest of the issue? Let us know!

Also, let us know the sections you did like! :banana:

Armchair General Issue I Survey

Reaction score
Re:Re: Keef on Canadian Battles

My knowledge regarding the 1813 Battle of the Thames is a combination oral family tradition and what I have learned over the years. Some years ago I looked at the Draper Papers in some detail, but the most recent updates have been from reading the number of Tecumseh biographies that have come out in the last decade. The battle is significant in that after years of effert by Tecumseh to unite eastern tribes against the Americans this union crumbled following his death. Native American's never again mount so united a front against the white's in North America. I would be happy to share what I know with those who might have an interest. Thanks for asking.

Kevinkin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a bump to get more feedback ... plus ...

When will we see something on the eastern front in either WW1 or WW2?

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our Editor, John Antal, speaks fluent Russian and is personally very interested in East Front battles. While I can't give you a specifc issue you should expect a nice serving of East Front material.

Jayl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will the magazine feature any articles about Roman warfare and battles? I enjoyed the little bits about the Roman Centurion and Top Five Swords in History.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Romans... Most defenitely! A close relative of the Romans are the Ancient Greeks and we have a great "How They Fought" article about the Hoplites in the next issue. Read this and you'll know what it was like to fight in the Ancient Greek times. It will be on newsstands end of March.

Jayl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great!

Ancient Greeks and we have a great "How They Fought" article about the Hoplites in the next issue. Read this and you'll know what it was like to fight in the Ancient Greek times. It will be on newsstands end of March.
Without the Greeks they would be no Romans, can't wait to see that article. Thanks for the info. :thumb: