First issue Feedback

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finally found a copy.:banana:

I'm no literary critic, but I know what I like(didn't somebody say that about art?) and it looks like you have a real winner here Eric.

I especially liked the "What now General?" article. The US Civil War has never been a conflict of great interest to me, but I found myself drawn into the story and recognize the problems the commanders faced at Gettysburg much better thanks to your publication.

This article alone has kindled an interest into a previously unexplored era of warfare for me. For that, I thank you.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey thanks for that feedback Tigersqn! I am really happy that we actually managed to pique your interest in a whole new era of military history...that what it's all about for us!!
Our second issue's Bonus game download is in fact the first day's fighting at Gettysburg, The Battle for Cemetary Ridge. Give that a spin and really try your hand at capturing those all important heights!
The third issue's "You Command" drops you in the middle of the first major civil war battle, The Bull Run. Here you'll command a confederate infantry battalion.
By the time you're done with our first three issues you'll be a civil war addict! :horse:

Jayl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keef one more suggestion maybe in a future issue there could be a "You Command" or "What Next General?" for some of the great battles of the Romans or Carthagians. Maybe Julius Caesar or Hannibal.

PS. ACG is one of my new favorite magazines you all do a very good job. :thumb:

thormaxthor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aobut the frist magazine

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This is what I have been looking for ! Are you at Armchaigeneral going to do a spot light on Storm Norman Swocoff (I dont remember how to spell his last name sorry )

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jayl
Keef one more suggestion maybe in a future issue there could be a "You Command" or "What Next General?" for some of the great battles of the Romans or Carthagians. Maybe Julius Caesar or Hannibal.

PS. ACG is one of my new favorite magazines you all do a very good job. :thumb:
Over time you will defenitely see some Roman action. We like Romans!

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: aobut the frist magazine

Originally posted by thormaxthor
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This is what I have been looking for ! Are you at Armchaigeneral going to do a spot light on Storm Norman Swocoff (I dont remember how to spell his last name sorry )
If you are talking about General Norman Schwarzkopf look for issue 3 in which "What Next, General" covers Gulf War 1 and you get to be "Stormin Norman."

Runyan99

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Military history and wargaming are my hobby and my passion. So, I support what you folks are doing at ACG, and I wish you the best of success. With the future of the magazine in mind, I’d like to offer my own detailed feedback.

There are a lot of magazines that feature military history. There are Civil War magazines, WW2 magazines, and other generalized military history magazines. All of these are what I consider ‘Military History Lite’. They are ‘lite’ because they cannot cover a subject in depth within the confined space of a magazine article. For example, a magazine article on the Battle of the Bulge cannot hope to cover the topic as thoroughly as a full sized book such as MacDonald’s ‘A Time for Trumpets’.

I don’t need another ‘Military History Lite’ magazine. I do need a good wargaming magazine. There really isn’t a quality wargames magazine on the market that I am aware of. I guess Strategy and Tactics was originally centered around wargaming, but when I pick it up these days, it just looks like another military history magazine to me.

I want a magazine for wargamers by wargamers. I hope that ACG will continue to keep the focus on wargaming (and for the casual reader, showing them that wargaming is a decision-making exercise), with a SECONDARY focus on military history.

What really jumped out at me, and told me that ACG was potentially different from the other military history mags at the bookstore, was the ‘You Command’ article about the battle for the Sidi Rezegh airfield. The article presented an open-ended problem, and then asked the reader to think about and propose a solution. This was something I had never seen before, and I sat down to read the article immediately. I bought the magazine, and then went home to write up a solution to the tactical problem. This was a lot of fun for me. Also, notice that this article seems to have generated the most discussion on the boards here. Obviously, this is because everybody has their own ideas about the tactical problem, there are no answers given in the article, and there isn’t a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ approach to the situation. This is what seems to make it the most interesting. Personally, I’d like to see two or three of these tactical problems in every issue.

Other articles have ‘interactivity’ of different sorts, but I generally felt that they were not as interesting, and just didn’t work as well.

The Fire and Steel article about the DD tank was a bit of a disappointment for me. The writing was good, but the whole concept left me flat. As I read the article, my first choice in the story was 1) Drive the tank left or 2) Drive the tank right. I don’t know what this is, but it isn’t wargaming, it isn’t history, and it is decision making on only the most empty level. What exactly is the point? If you just want to tell a cracking story about a DD tank on Omaha beach, it would be better to simply write an engrossing piece of fiction. I could respect that. But, I read ‘Choose Your Own Adventure” books when I was about 10 years old, and it isn’t something that I am interested in today at the age of 28.

The other interactive article was the ‘What Next General?’ article about the battle of Gettysburg. I am on the fence with this one. I found it okay. I liked it more than the DD tank article, but less than the Sidi Rezegh article. As it pointed out what General Lee’s options were on the first day of the battle, and also what the possible outcomes of each decision might be, I felt it had some value.

The next major article is the ‘Walk Where They Fought’ bit about the paratroopers in Normandy. I have not finished this article yet, but the tactical detail is excellent and I like the maps featured in the article. This is the way I’d like to see ACG handle military history articles generally. That is, give me something I cannot get anywhere else. Don’t give me a general overview of the Normandy paradrop. Give me very specific detail that I may not already have. Give me original interviews and analysis, and give me extras like maps that I might not have access to in any other publication.

Another original bit I liked was the ‘How They Fought’ article about the M1919 MG. The photo reenactments are a fun thing that no one else is doing. I’d like to see this section expanded from three pages to four or five.

Finally, I have a suggestion for a new article. Take a page from the BBC television show ‘Time Commanders’ and do a historical situation/wargame after action report article. Present a historical situation, wargame it, and then have some analysis. Don’t get bogged down in the technical aspects of the wargame itself, but instead focus on the options that are available to both players, and the decisions they had to make over the course of the wargame.

If you are not familiar with Time Commanders, you can see a bit at www.totalwar.com/time.htm

The situation can cover anything from a squad level firefight to the battle of Waterloo. You could also do hypothetical situations, to answer ‘what if?’ type questions. What if Stuart had been present during the first day of Gettysburg? Wargame it and find out.

The wargame used is up to you. You could use Napoleonic miniatures, Axis and Allies, ASL, CM, Korsun Pocket, or whatever. Or, you could make up your own rules for a wargame if you like. For illustration in the magazine, you could use actual screens or pictures of the game board, or you could design your own easy to read graphics to depict the situation.

For example, take the situation in the ‘What Next General?’ article – the first day of the battle of Gettysburg. If you want to look at the options available to General Lee on that day, you could use wargaming to explore the question. Pick out two ACG staffers. Ask them to formulate a strategy for the first day of the battle. Now, choose one of the many Gettysburg board games out there (or use miniatures rules), and have them execute their strategy in the game. Illustrate how the game played out. Discuss the outcome, and compare it to the historical situation. I think this would be fun to read, and also fun for the ACG team to put together.

That’s all for now. ACG, I already have an extensive military history library, and I don’t need more of the same old stuff. Continue to give me something NEW, and I’ll continue to buy your magazine. Best wishes, and good luck with the magazine.

Kevinkin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with all your points. The left-right decision was silly and I stopped reading the artical at that point. You might as well flip a coin. However, given this is the first issue I will not be harsh. In general, I think ACG is refreshing. If they remember that their niche is the reading public that likes to participate in military history, and not just read, the magazine will evolve along lines that wargamers will like. The first few issues are probably pretty much set. So it may take time to see forum comments reflected.

Kevin

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys thanks very much for the constuctive criticism which we welcome and pay attention to.

Private Chris

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Canada at Chapters

FYI, I just picked up my first copy at Chapters in Canada and wow It's about time someone put out a magazine like this, way to go guys, can't wait for the 2nd.

Octavian

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was in my local Borders, when My dad showed me an interesting magazine he had found. He had been drawn to it because of Patton on the cover. I flipped thru it and decided to buy it. It was great. I LOVED the CDG. It really made you feel like you were in command. That was definitely my favorite section although i liked all of it. I went on the website about a week later and subscribed for 2 years. It was great. Make more CDGs. Make multiple ones per mag. I've always been interested in military tactics, much more than reinacting. This is the kind of Mag I always wanted. Maybe in the CDGs you should have more than one type of vehicle, you could have some infantry, Mines, Panzerfausts, etc. Rock on.:bowdown:

jdbeatty

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, maybe it will get better....

At first read, I foud that the Patton and Gettysburg articles riddled with errors and folklore.

The Patton piece is just a homage to a glory hound.

The Gettysburg piece has so many arrors of fact, by the time you get to where you're supposed to make a decision you're hamstrung by the knowlege that how you got here was actually YOUR mistake, if you're General Lee, and by the fact that your "blindness" is YOUR fault for not using your resources at hand. YOU made contact without foreknowlege, YOUR subordinates couldn't control their troops. YOU are deep in enemy country without a firm grasp of enemy movements and intentions. The mess you are in is YOUR fault, and your best way out is withdrawl to Virginia or surrender of your army. If I were in Lee's position I would have realized that a military solution against the Union is not possible and quit long before.

The "top 5 list" of swords is terribly presumtous [sp], like any and all such lists.

None of the "interactive" articles allow for any true freedom of selection, at least not choices I would make with more that thirty years experience in playing (and more than twenty in uniform). All of them result in canned, school solutions that are better off not playing at all.

Graphics are excellent, though. The piece on Belisarius was very well done.

If it was me doing this, I'd keep the solutions OUT OF THE MAGAZINE IN WHICH THEY APPEAR. Hold them for the back of the next issue, and if the reader is interested they can read YOUR solution. Otherwise, let us work out the problems on our own. Giving us a choice between two or three already bad solutions is quite unsatisfying.

The "interactive fiction" was so poorly written that I couldn't finish the first page.

All in all, I wouldn't subscribe based on this issue. There will have to be drastic improvement for me to continue my charter subscription, and significant improvement not to cancel after issue 2.

Xena ~HS~

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WOOT :banana: Got it today review will follow not had a chance to read it. Just want to thank Keef and Mantis for digging into the delivery prob:thumb:

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SOOOOO SORRY it took so long Xena! The goods news is that issue two will follow in just 2-3 weeks! Thanks for your patience.
:D

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jdbeatty...thanks for your constructive criticism. It is hard to publish a magazine to suit everyone's tastes. We are trying to do something new at Armchair General and it won't be for everyone. Based on some of your comments you might be better suited by purchasing MHQ which is a very in depth, almost academic, military history magazine. There is no interactivity of any sort in it and it sounds like this was a major turn off for you.
Sorry that we aren't a better fit for your needs.