First Impressions of J12

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
not with the HMG directed by the battle hardened 10-3.
If memory serves it was destroyed later by a PF shot. The Dozer was a real threat because it managed to remove all the wires I placed along the road and around the alamo building preventing a quick enemy infantry advance.
(BTW I believe it's necessary use all fortification points to buy wires). Perhaps Martin Vicca remember better what happened to his toy...

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
not with the HMG directed by the battle hardened 10-3.
If memory serves it was destroyed later by a PF shot. The Dozer was a real threat because it managed to remove all the wires I placed along the road and around the alamo building preventing a quick enemy infantry advance.
(BTW I believe it's necessary use all fortification points to buy wires). Perhaps Martin Vicca remember better what happened to his toy...
If only Leader DRM applied to TK#. ;)

And while All-Wire is not a bad way to go, it is not the _only_ way to go.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
If only Leader DRM applied to TK#. ;)

And while All-Wire is not a bad way to go, it is not the _only_ way to go.
The HMG fired as ordnance, thus the help of the leader for the TH (only).

The "all wires" option worked very well and had the obvius advantage to be the easiest tactic for the Defender. Even an average player can optimize their placement making the life hard for the American. Probably there are other good defensive options, may be also better than the "all wires" one, but they require an advanced study of the setup and they could easily backfire.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
. Probably there are other good defensive options, may be also better than the "all wires" one, but they require an advanced study of the setup and they could easily backfire.
Trenches always seem to backfire on me as my opponent advances into them and then gets the benefits. Kinda like all those flamethrowers and DCs I have dropped over the years.

Reactions: ecz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Trenches always seem to backfire on me as my opponent advances into them and then gets the benefits. Kinda like all those flamethrowers and DCs I have dropped over the years.
I for one love scenarios in which my OoB has Trenches, Pillboxes, Wire, etc. There is so much you can do with them but most of the time there are only 2 to 4 around. If there are more, you can usually count on enemy OBA not being far away or your side being seriously outnumbered and/or outgunned...

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That is one thing I always consider when placing entrenchments: will this position help my opponent? Sometimes I reject a location because of that.

On the other hand I can count the number of times that my flamethrowers and DCs have been captured and used against me. Having that happen not infrequently seems to me to reflect a weakness of character.

JR

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the other hand I can count the number of times that my flamethrowers and DCs have been captured and used against me. Having that happen not infrequently seems to me to reflect a weakness of character.

JR
I wouldn't doubt it. ASL does mimic life, after all. :)

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
I received J12 yesterday. Great product! I loved Sidhu's article on odd rules. I think I knew just a handful of those. Good stuff.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I for one love scenarios in which my OoB has Trenches, Pillboxes, Wire, etc. There is so much you can do with them but most of the time there are only 2 to 4 around. If there are more, you can usually count on enemy OBA not being far away or your side being seriously outnumbered and/or outgunned...

von Marwitz
One of my favorite scenario design tricks is to give the defender a bit of choice in that matter. Which also gives me some CYA in claims of unbalanced poocherey. :p

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J12 Jungle Fighters: A fun, well-balanced city fight between Aussies/Brits and the Konoe Imperial Guards.

Reactions: ecz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed an excellent scenario and classic delaying defense. Too bad Brian does not design scenarios anymore, he always does a great job coming up with great designs that are not silly or gimmicky. Other great Yause designs include Breezles Day, Oh Joy, In the Old Tradition and many more.

Scott

J12 Jungle Fighters: A fun, well-balanced city fight between Aussies/Brits and the Konoe Imperial Guards.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
What "Jungle Fighters" scenario are you talking about? The original "Jungle Fighters", as published in the MMP newsletter (pre-dating ASL Journal #1) was sadly, hopelessly and ridiculously pro-Japanese. Then J12 was published in ASL J1, incorporating many changes -- every single one of which made the Japanese stronger. It must surely rival Burzevo in being one of the worst pieces of ASL drek ever to see the light this side of anything Critical Hit publishes.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess you must be joking or something right herr oberst?

What "Jungle Fighters" scenario are you talking about? The original "Jungle Fighters", as published in the MMP newsletter (pre-dating ASL Journal #1) was sadly, hopelessly and ridiculously pro-Japanese. Then J12 was published in ASL J1, incorporating many changes -- every single one of which made the Japanese stronger. It must surely rival Burzevo in being one of the worst pieces of ASL drek ever to see the light this side of anything Critical Hit publishes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From the evidence it doesn't seem to have Burzevo's quality, although I can't say I have played it myself:

Jungle Fighters [J12] British 58 Japanese 54

JR

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I feel the need to replay J12 Jungle Fighters after about 15 years. I remember a fun and balanced scenario, where the Japanese must arrange one or more banzai charge to win, but also must cross several OG hexes. All depends on the British attitude with FLs and his combat-retreat capability. May be that now, with about 400 games more played, I see things differently. Anyway Perry thank you for the evocation of this scenario of the past.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yikes!
I just thought I would introduce some "J12" levity. Silly me. What was I thinking?

What I do know is that while I think Jungle Fighters is a cool little scenario, I know that Pete Shelling is a great scenario designer who takes pride in his work and makes MMP look good.