First Defensive Fire: LOS

Murphostopholes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting started with ASLSK#1. Don't have complete Rulebook (yet . . .) When exercising First Defensive Fire vs, Infantry who move from one building hex to an adjacent building hex can I take First defensive fire at unit in the "open" as they move from one building hex to the adjacent hex without +3 DRM attributable to the buildings. Similarly, can I trace LOS between building silhouettes to other more distant units?

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting started with ASLSK#1. Don't have complete Rulebook (yet . . .) When exercising First Defensive Fire vs, Infantry who move from one building hex to an adjacent building hex can I take First defensive fire at unit in the "open" as they move from one building hex to the adjacent hex without +3 DRM attributable to the buildings. Similarly, can I trace LOS between building silhouettes to other more distant units?
First question, No you can't fire at the units between the building. In ASL this is called a snap shot, but that is not in SK. Second question. Yes you can trace LOS between buildings, and as long as the thread doesn't touch the building depictions with building seen on both sides of the thread, it is a clear LOS.
Join the ASL Discord Server! https://discord.gg/yfCZX4Vrmx

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
These thoughts are the first steps to ASL full system rules. Well done 👍 beware there is no turning back. 👍😅

Murphostopholes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Felt a bit daff after I found answer in an SK#1 diagram. Intermittent solo play, still in paradigm shift from SL. Am considering e-version of ASL Rulebook. Any opinion vs. hardcopy binder? Already too far gone, must have rules, rules, rules, more rules!

Murphostopholes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First question, No you can't fire at the units between the building. In ASL this is called a snap shot, but that is not in SK. Second question. Yes you can trace LOS between buildings, and as long as the thread doesn't touch the building depictions with building seen on both sides of the thread, it is a clear LOS.
Join the ASL Discord Server! https://discord.gg/yfCZX4Vrmx
Thanks. Been watching LOTS of videos, so my SK vs. ASL lines are blurred. As was suggested - should've gone straight to Rulebook and Beyond Valor. Tanks!

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
I prefer the pocket rule book. Easier to transport and I can underline and highlight.
but then I prefer books to e rules.

not that I’ve tried e rules. Why buy what I already have 😀

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks. Felt a bit daff after I found answer in an SK#1 diagram. Intermittent solo play, still in paradigm shift from SL. Am considering e-version of ASL Rulebook. Any opinion vs. hardcopy binder? Already too far gone, must have rules, rules, rules, more rules!
The electronic version (eASLRB) has one big advantage, which is that it is continuously (intermittently) updated with no additional purchase necessary.
I like it because I am mostly playing VASL now, and having on a PC means hyperlinks and search features are easy to use, but I've never tried it on a tablet for travel. Also note MMP have just released the second version of the pocket rule book, and a bundle with pocket charts and Chapter H, which looks like a nice more portable alternative to the binder.

KYCATS7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am the same way. I prefer books to e anythihg…BUT after trying it I was hooked…search function is great and highlighting, then underling in red REAL important stuff has gotten easy for me to do.

My only issue is I’m trying to figure out is how to upgrade the latest version without losing my notations. I use Foxit and I’m guessing I need to replace/add the updated pages??

Russ

I prefer the pocket rule book. Easier to transport and I can underline and highlight.
but then I prefer books to e rules.

not that I’ve tried e rules. Why buy what I already have 😀

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Been watching LOTS of videos, so my SK vs. ASL lines are blurred. As was suggested - should've gone straight to Rulebook and Beyond Valor. Tanks!
Yes I believe if you played SL you should skip the starter kit. Good luck and good gunnin no matter which path you choose.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes I believe if you played SL you should skip the starter kit. Good luck and good gunnin no matter which path you choose.
On another thread with the same theme Bendizoid also told the OP to skip the SK and go straight into ASL. He knows of what he speaks.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
On another thread with the same theme Bendizoid also told the OP to skip the SK and go straight into ASL. He knows of what he speaks.
I've never seen the SK so my opinion on this is based solely on my own experience. The transition was not that difficult but sometimes more of a shock when you discovered that a favorite rule from SL was gone. In my case it was the Sniper counter followed by HE Near Miss and AFVs falling off of cliffs onto buildings. The last was rather silly but fun.

The transition is definitely worth the effort though. As much as I loved and still love SL the superior game is ASL.

Last edited: