Fire mission cancellation

geezer

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An observer is killed while he has a FFE:2 counter on the board. Will the fire mission be cancelled in his next PFPh/DFPh or resolved normally?

C1.22 is not clear enough in my opinion. Is this a “Voluntary loss of contact”? Answer would seem to be no, on other hand, it is clearly a failure to roll for contact ...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think this is not voluntary loss of contact because to be voluntary loss of contact, I believe the observer has to have had the option to make the radio contact DR but declined. If the observer cannot make the DR (e.g. dead, broken, in Melee, malfunctioned/eliminated radio etc) failure to roll is not voluntary.

JR

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An observer is killed while he has a FFE:2 counter on the board. Will the fire mission be cancelled in his next PFPh/DFPh or resolved normally?

C1.22 is not clear enough in my opinion. Is this a “Voluntary loss of contact”? Answer would seem to be no, on other hand, it is clearly a failure to roll for contact ...
I don't think that qualifies. IIRC, there are exactly three situations where loss of contact
is considered "Voluntary." They are spelled out on the OBA flowchart. C1.22 says
voluntary rout is considered Voluntary Loss.

Strangely, if you can see the SR/FFE's blast height and you choose not to roll for
contact, that is not considered Voluntary Loss...have a look at the second last
sentence in C1.22. (The last sentence is "See also 1.61.")

Good hunting!

indy