Fire Lane vs. Human Wave: separate DRs?

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
A Human Wave crosses a street (with at least 2 HW units per hex). I fire at the closest hex with a 2 squad+2 LMG FG. The 2 LMGs lay down a fire line along the street. All of the units in that closest hex take the full FP, and one effects DR: simple enough.

But what about the HW units farther down the street: HW units face each fire lane separately--but do all of the HW units (moving as a single Impulse) into a single hex use the same DR for a given fire lane, or do they use separate DRs for each HW unit?

A8.1 says all units moving as a stack use the same DR. But A8.2 doesn't use that "unit/stack" phrase. However I believe this is just an oversight, and that all units moving into the same Location in a single Impulse use the same DR for the Residual FP that is there. (E.g., if there are two fire lanes in the hex, then there are two DRs total, even if three HW units are moving into that Location during that Impulse.)

I played it that way (sharing the DR), otherwise it would've been Sniper heaven.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Separate DR vs each hex - there's a Q&A on this.

Last edited:

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Klas: based on the wording of your answer (which seems to have a typo in it?), I'm not sure I made my question clear--sorry about that.

So let me make the situation simpler: Imagine that a single fire lane goes through a hex. Two units as part of a Human Wave enter that hex during the same Impulse. Do they use a single DR to resolve the fire lane, or does each HW unit roll its own DR to resolve that fire lane?

(BTW, I did look through the Perry-sez and 1st edition Q&A but didn't spot an answer--although it's quite possible that I missed it.)

Thanks!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You fire separately at each hex. A9.222. First paragraph last sentence. No where does it say you use a single DR, so normal conventions would apply. The whole COWTRA thing.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Klas: based on the wording of your answer (which seems to have a typo in it?), I'm not sure I made my question clear--sorry about that.

So let me make the situation simpler: Imagine that a single fire lane goes through a hex. Two units as part of a Human Wave enter that hex during the same Impulse. Do they use a single DR to resolve the fire lane, or does each HW unit roll its own DR to resolve that fire lane?

(BTW, I did look through the Perry-sez and 1st edition Q&A but didn't spot an answer--although it's quite possible that I missed it.)

Thanks!
Typo fixed.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
It they both enter the hex on the same impulse, they use the same DR. One DR per hex per impulse.
Thank you everyone for your responses, and especially Vinnie who saw through my clumsy wording to address the true question I was trying to phrase.

How Vinnie answered is what I felt the answer should be, but A8.2 seemed a bit vague about it. (3rd sentence: "Thereafter, any unit entering . . . is attacked on the IFT with . . . a new IFT DR . . ." So it's great to get corroboration!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
But what about the HW units farther down the street: HW units face each fire lane separately--but do all of the HW units (moving as a single Impulse) into a single hex use the same DR for a given fire lane, or do they use separate DRs for each HW unit?
Thereafter, any unit entering (or expending MF/MP in) that same Location in the same MPh is attacked on the IFT with the FP represented by that Residual FP counter, a new IFT DR, and any applicable FFMO/FFNAM DRM.