Fire Lane snap shot

kokobolo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Having a hard time with this one. It seems like the example of A9.221 is incorrect.

Per A9.22
A Fire Lane Residual FP counter exerts a unique form of Residual FP in its Location, and in every same-level (B.5) Location of the Fire Lane Hex Grain between that counter and the MG, that is within the MG's Normal Range and in the LOS of its manning Infantry (when tracing their LOS to the hex center dot).

Per A9.221
A unit crossing a hexside to enter/exit a Location where an Alternate-Hex-Grain Fire Lane exerts Residual FP may be attacked by it as a Snap Shot, provided the hexside being crossed lies along the Fire Lane's LOF

Here is part of the example after A9.221, I underlined both instances that seem to contradict the above rules.The rules are saying that a hexside can be subject to a snapshot attack only if the entire hex is subject to the firelane residual, however the example indicates that the hexside is subject to a snapshot even if MG does not have LOS to hex center dot. What am I not seeing :)

A unit Assault Moving from K6 to J6 can, at the DEFENDER'S option, be attacked using two Residual FP either as a Fire Lane Snap Shot (with Wall TEM; 8.15) at the K6-J6 hexside, or as a normal Fire Lane attack (with a -1 FFMO DRM) in J6. The latter is the better attack, but if a stone building existed in J6—or an obstacle in K8 blocked the firer's LOS to J6—the Snap Shot would be a better choice. A unit that starts its MPh in J6 by moving to K6 can be attacked by the Fire Lane only as a Snap Shot; however, if it were already vulnerable to Defensive First Fire in J6 it would undergo a normal Fire Lane attack there (thus prohibiting the Snap Shot), unless no LOS existed from the MG to J6 (in which case the Snap Shot would occur as it crossed hexside J6-K6 regardless of whether or not it began its MPh in J6).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see a contradiction here as 9.22 talks about exerting FP within a hex and 9.221 talks about exerting FP when the center dot of the hex is not in LOS/LOF but the hexspine is.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
...as the hexside is a location of the hex. and remember its a snap shot..so it'd be at 1fp right?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
...as the hexside is a location of the hex. and remember its a snap shot..so it'd be at 1fp right?
No, the normal firelane FP applies.

EXC: the Snap Shot is NA if that Fire Lane has already attacked that unit in the Location it is exiting; the Snap Shot FP of a Fire Lane is not halved as Area Fire]. If

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
When does a snap shot apply using a firelane?

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
In a firelane with an alternate hex grain.. in a hex where residual FP from this firelane applies (and there is a obstacle TEM with +2 or better). Is possible to use the snap shot at 0 TEM and no FFNAM nor FFMO vs the entering unit crossing the hexside in place of normal FP plus TEM including FFMO vs the unit IN the location -or bypassing the location-..
Rule says also “exiting” but no idea if is possible when exiting because the residual FP attacks immediately when entering in the hex.. I really would like an example about this exiting snap shot

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Rule says also “exiting” but no idea if is possible when exiting because the residual FP attacks immediately when entering in the hex.. I really would like an example about this exiting snap shot
A Fire Lane may be present in its hex before a squad moves, is that what you are looking for?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
In a firelane with an alternate hex grain.. in a hex where residual FP from this firelane applies (and there is a obstacle TEM with +2 or better). Is possible to use the snap shot at 0 TEM and no FFNAM nor FFMO vs the entering unit crossing the hexside in place of normal FP plus TEM including FFMO vs the unit IN the location -or bypassing the location-..
YES (if I'm understanding your question correctly). To be sure, here is how the alternate grain "snap shot" works:

Using the image from A9.221, assume that K6 is a wooden, single story house with no wall and no Graveyard present. A non-German unit (let's say Russian) is in that house, and the alternate hex grain chosen is the "red" hexgrain of the example (which includes the house itself). If the Russian unit just moved into the house during this MPh from just above the image, it would be attacked by the Fire Lane immediately upon entering the building (+2 TEM plus -1 FFNAM). If it survives and then wants to continue into J6, it would not be attacked again by this FL since it was already attacked upon entering K6.

However, if the Russian BEGAN the turn in the house and then wished to enter J6, it would be attacked by the FL Snap Shot upon exiting K6. This fire would not be halved but would also not be modified by -2 FFMO/FFNAM (since it is still a "Snap Shot" - thanks Klas!).

Finally, there are two possibilities for movement from the other direction. Assume that a Russian unit began its turn just off the bottom of the map (say, I7) and moved into J6 and then onto K6. Such a unit would not be attacked by the FL upon entering J6 from offboard as the FL has no effect on that hex. But as the Russian enters K6, the firer has two options: 1) The Russian could be hit by the FL "Snap Shot" as it crosses the hexside into K6 (full FP, but no mod); or 2) The firer could choose to ignore the snap shot, and take the FL shot at the unit IN K6 and +1 (+2 Building TEM and -1FFNAM).

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
However, if the Russian BEGAN the turn in the house and then wished to enter J6, it would be attacked by the FL snap shot upon exiting K6. This fire would not be halved, and would be modified by -2 (FFMO/FFNAM).
NRBH, but isn't FFNAM/FFMO NA to Snap Shots - think that includes Fire Lane Snap Shots?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, but isn't FFNAM/FFMO NA to Snap Shots - think that includes Fire Lane Snap Shots?
Thanks! I mis-remembered this... I think you must be right. The RB doesn't state this directly, but that must be the reason for insisting on the term Snap Shot (even though full FP). I will edit above comment!

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I don’t think the Firelane attacks the unit exiting the house.. if it began in the hex with residual is not attacked when exiting, only when exiting spending some MF in the hex with residual.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I don’t think the Firelane attacks the unit exiting the house.. if it began in the hex with residual is not attacked when exiting, only when exiting spending some MF in the hex with residual.
No. Unless it was already struck by the FL residual in its starting Location, it will attack in this case as per the second paragraph of A9.221:

A9.221... A unit crossing a hexside to enter/exit a Location where an Alternate-Hex-Grain Fire Lane exerts Residual FP may be attacked by it as a Snap Shot, provided the hexside being crossed lies along the Fire Lane's LOF [EXC: the Snap Shot is NA if that Fire Lane has already attacked that unit in the Location it is exiting; the Snap Shot FP of a Fire Lane is not halved as Area Fire].​

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
No. Unless it was already struck by the FL residual in its starting Location, it will attack in this case as per the second paragraph of A9.221:

A9.221... A unit crossing a hexside to enter/exit a Location where an Alternate-Hex-Grain Fire Lane exerts Residual FP may be attacked by it as a Snap Shot, provided the hexside being crossed lies along the Fire Lane's LOF [EXC: the Snap Shot is NA if that Fire Lane has already attacked that unit in the Location it is exiting; the Snap Shot FP of a Fire Lane is not halved as Area Fire].​
Not halved! Nice..SO, if i lay a firelane down the street 16 hexes...with a 4FP firelane.
and enemy INF in every hex...and they all leave different directions...do they get attacked?

OR ONLY the wonky alternate hexlanes?
Same question...lay FL across 16 other locations that contain enemy INF. and they leave the newly placed FL before ANY move.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Only alternate.. snap shots only affects hexside crossed if those hexsides are in line with the MG location creating the FL..
K6/J6 and L7/K8 in the image above

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I’m not sure if including units attacked originally when creating the FL.. they have no received residual FP attacks but original FP attacks from the MG.
If attacked, it will create a lot of interesting new shots on moving units across alternate FL.. never played this way but maybe wrong

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I’m not sure if including units attacked originally when creating the FL.. they have no received residual FP attacks but original FP attacks from the MG.
If attacked, it will create a lot of interesting new shots on moving units across alternate FL.. never played this way but maybe wrong
I remember one FL I laid down...over a Gully...he left the gully and got attacked...he didn't like it. OLOLL