Fire Lane and EmRR

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting that this wasn't addressed in the rules for FB and HF, both of which included emRR. HF is silent on the matter of Fire Lanes, while FB only has this to offer:

FB6.1243 FIRE LANE: A Fire Lane has no effect on units (including Vulnerable PRC) that are at least a "half-level" lower than the Fire Lane in their hex, nor does a "half-level" Hindrance (as defined in 6.1242) whose Base Level is at least a half-level lower than a Fire Lane in its hex affect that Fire Lane.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Interesting that this wasn't addressed in the rules for FB and HF, both of which included emRR. HF is silent on the matter of Fire Lanes, while FB only has this to offer:
Not really surprising since both FB and HF is "based" on section F6, which only really deals with Fire Lanes from units ON a Hillock....I don't recall the question/issues coming up before, so not surprising it wasn't in the FB/HF rules either.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
While I agree that FB6.1243 reads like Chapter F, there is an extensive illustrated EX in FB that could have addressed the question of Fire Lanes through an emRR.

That said, I wouldn't not surprised if this never came up during play testing given that German MG are usually under some form of Ammunition Shortage. But Russian MG (captured or otherwise) are not.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
While I agree that FB6.1243 reads like Chapter F, there is an extensive illustrated EX in FB that could have addressed the question of Fire Lanes through an emRR.
...and it probably would have done so, had the issue/question actually come up...back then or before....but I certainly don't recall seeing it previously....

I think the fact that EmRR was implemented (back in Doomed Battalions, IIRC) as using the Hillock rules does bring about some odd situations, that probably makes sense for a multi-hex hillock, and less so for a one-hex EmRR.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...and it probably would have done so, had the issue/question actually come up...back then or before....but I certainly don't recall seeing it previously....

I think the fact that EmRR was implemented (back in Doomed Battalions, IIRC) as using the Hillock rules does bring about some odd situations, that probably makes sense for a multi-hex hillock, and less so for a one-hex EmRR.
Great point about Doomed Battalions and the origin of emRR.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Ever reversed a vehicle or used a hull side wall?
We the Spaniards never go away from a fight and dont need protection of anything… No, I mean that never played desert. There are lots of interesting scenarios without need to go to a bunch of new rules. I will, with time, learn them, but not in a hurry.

Obviously I have also played with hillocks.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We the Spaniards never go away from a fight and dont need protection of anything… No, I mean that never played desert. There are lots of interesting scenarios without need to go to a bunch of new rules. I will, with time, learn them, but not in a hurry.

Obviously I have also played with hillocks.
There seem to be quite a few players who don't fancy the desert. I am just playing my way through the Line in the Sand scenarios from Journal 5 and they are a blast. First time that I have ever used the "dog fight" rules from Chapter E. Desert battles make a great bit of variety from the ETO and give you a chance to use all those range modifiers in the TH tables that you usually don't have to look at. Well worth the effort of learning a few additional rules!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I've sent this:

A 9.22 and F6.44

Can the LMG lay a fire lane when it shoots at the 4-5-7 as it enters P2? If so, how would it affect the 4-5-7 in oR4 if it subsequently entered oR3?
Did you get a reply from MMP?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Spoke too soon. Looks like I accidentally deleted it as part of a purge of the junk emails that infest my inbox! I have posted the response in the Perry Sez thread.