Fire lane and + 6 LOS

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If there is a road .. and believe me there will be .... that gets an OBA that creates a +6 LOS smoke can a MMG
put a FL down even though there is no known target - since there is no LOS??

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If there is a road .. and believe me there will be .... that gets an OBA that creates a +6 LOS smoke can a MMG
put a FL down even though there is no known target - since there is no LOS??
Only at night per E1.71.

If the MG fires at a Known target, it can place the firelane marker beyond LOS. That firelane will affect units that are out of LOS due to SMOKE (/other hindrances).

JR

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is interesting. What if a fire lane is put down (daytime) at a unit in front of the smoke (no hindrance).
Would it then be able to affect units running through it later, but behind the smoke (no LOS from firer)?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is interesting. What if a fire lane is put down (daytime) at a unit in front of the smoke (no hindrance).
Would it then be able to affect units running through it later, but behind the smoke (no LOS from firer)?
Yes, that is the substance of JRV's answer .... If the MG fires at a Known target, it can place the firelane marker beyond LOS. That firelane will affect units that are out of LOS due to SMOKE (/other hindrances).

His first answer was how to do it without any LOS whatsoever.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Because the firelane can only be put down after an attack against units in LOS, if you have units that will move in a way that LOS is blocked and units that will move with LOS, you move the units that are going to be out of LOS first.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ah, I understood him as meaning that could only work at night.
At night you can put down a firelane without firing at a known unit per E1.71. I don't think I've ever seen it done.

At any time if you fire at a known unit, you can put the firelane down that goes beyond LOS when the LOS is blocked by hindrances.

As a minor technical detail, you can also put the firelane counter down beyond an obstacle. A firelane won't attack units moving through it if the LOS is blocked by an obstacle.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At night you can put down a firelane without firing at a known unit per E1.71. I don't think I've ever seen it done.

JR
You have not played against me at night...and you know my fondness for FLs... EX: Taking the Left Tit has useful FL options for the MMG on the German left flank. I would not place the HMG in the role.