Fire in Red Barricades CG

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This question is about set fires in the RB CG.

Rule number A26.16 states:

If, due to a fire deliberately kindled by a player, parts of the playing area become totally unenterable by armed enemy ground units, the opponent immediately gains Control of every location/hex/building completely within that area, even if the area is unenterable partly by other causes. A player gaining control due to a deliberately started fire does so even if he has no units in the area and regardless of the presence of enemy units.

This is pretty straight forward for scenarios but the impact on a CG can be very different. In RB the only rule that I can find that addresses this is #11.6031 which states "A Location controlled solely due to having been deliberately set on fire by the opponent (as per A26.31) does not count toward scenario victory conditions." This is dealing with who won the just completed CG day's battle.

My question is are kindled fires handled the same way in a RB CG as in a regular scenario. In RB this could have very bad consequences for the Russian if he were to set a fire to deny some upper level floor locations to the Germans with a fire. This fire could (and usually seems it does) burn for several days and the German's could gain a lot of ground from this maneuver. However, by reading the above rules it would seem that no special provisions were made for in RB. What is the correct interpretation? Same as a regualr scenario? If it is the same as a regular scenario, does everyone play it that way or are there some house rules to modify the effects of this rule in a CG? I would love to hear some feed back form those RB CG players out there. Thanks.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My question is are kindled fires handled the same way in a RB CG as in a regular scenario
Yep, the Russians loose control of the location that was originally kindled AND any location it spreads too, but the Germans dont get credit for it when tallying VC locations. However, it is possible to regain these locations while drawing up the Perimeter if you are both careful and lucky. If you can manage to keep the Blaze locations a type A Isolated area you COULD regain them at the start of the CG Day.

In RB this could have very bad consequences for the Russian if he were to set a fire to deny some upper level floor locations to the Germans with a fire.
Not as bad as a 10-3 leader with 3 HMG's in a second level location, mowing down any Russian units within LOS. Terrain is something there is lots of, take advantage of it and burn EVERYTHING that has a 1st or 2nd level location. Some buildings demand to be kindled. I feel that the following buildings just have to go: C13, C18, C23, O18, BB17 (wait until the bitter end for this one) and J22. Those building have great LOS and have to go if you want to fight on anything resembling even terms. Also, wood rubble is good to kindle to create more shellhole terrain for the German to cross. Also, any drifting smoke can provide you with some additional cover from the German 'Death Stars' that frequent the RB map.

House rules are bad :) There are a few things I would be inclined to alter after playing this quite a lot, a good 7 or 8 CG's previously and currently on Day 7 as the Russians in CG3 (with an elr of 0 :( ). But thats another thread :)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply, it was great. I agree that the upper floors are murder and I will continue to burn the two story buildings. The factories are not so bad to burn as they just gut out and all flame counters are removed (unlike a building where the building is rubbled and then the flame flips to a blaze so the next CG date starts with a blaze on map). I figure I will just burn a lot of terrain way behind the lines so I can fall back to some wide open places (keeping a few key ones intact as you said). I very rarely use house rules myself as I don't want to alter play balance, get confused, forget things, etc. Just play as they fall but let them burn!!!

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the following from 5/12/2003

> Rule:O11.609, A26.16
> Question:Is the responsibility for setting blazes, and control forfeiture
of A26.16, carried over from scenario to scenario in the RB campaign game?

Yes.

>
> If yes, when blazes are spread during refit step 11.609, is the control
and perimeter modified at that time?

No.

....Perry
MMP

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I can just add that when I rewrote A26 as part of the DB errata pages, I added A26.162 especially with the RB CG in mind, to clarify that the player would remain responsible for Kindled fire even when that fire got mixed up with non-kindled fire, and at least for me the intention was to let this carry over from a CG date to the next.