Fire HEAT @ Units Behind Bocage?

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, I know C8.31 allows HEAT to be fired only at Inf/Cav receiving a "wall/et al" TEM.

Now, B9.5 states that rules pertaining to walls apply to bocage except where modified, and describes bocage as an earthen wall topped with shrubs.

The only discussion of TEM in the bocage rules comes in B9.531 and really addresses elevation advantages. The Terrain Chart lists bocage as having the same TEM as a wall. So there seems to be no modification of the wall TEM leading me to believe that bocage TEM is wall TEM too.

I'm currently fighting in Normandy a lot and am trying to get smarter about bocage. Until now I've always considered bocage "more like hedges." Now I'm leaning toward "more like walls," including being able to fire SCW HEAT at infantry behind them.

No doubt this has been hashed out somewhere before, and some conclusions were made. I'd appreciate any insights/verifications on the bocage TEM and use of BAZ/PSK/PF etc. Thanks.

Roll low,
Mark

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys
With the second edition of the rules a important change was made and that was that they stated that Bocage is treated as a wall except as amended below and then they never adressed anything about HEAT which means that HEAT is allowed vs Bocage.
In 1st edition they declared Bocage as hedges except as for below and specifically stated that Bocage had a TEM of +2 and so in 1st edition HEAT is not allowed vs Bocage.
I would allow it as 2nd edition overrules 1st edition and there must have been a thought behind that change of wording.

Peter

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This rule interpretation is important to all of us in the tourney playing "Confusion Reigns". I'm going to play it(Baz./Psk fire) as allowable vs. guys rec'ing bocage TEM because of the wording Com. Piotr cited: it's not 'modified below', so it's a wall for this purpose. I think the shower of dirt potentially caused by HEAT hitting the mound part would affect units behind it unlike a shell passing through a hedge and not detonating. Is this thinking too realistically/literally about the rules? I'd be curious to hear what da Priest has to say, too. . . .

Alan

da priest

Reaction score
Bocage gets wall TEM, therefore BAZ's work against the infantry there.

The rest of your post is replete with Realizm stuff and need not be replied too....:)

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
In Journal 5 there is an errata for this, disallowing the use of HEAT vs Bocage.

It says:

B9.5: line 3 after "walls" add "[EXC:HEAT NA (C8.31)]"

This is for 2nd Ed., but could apply for 1st ed as well (just read "hedges" in line 3)

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys

Thanks for the update Yarlis, I was not aware of that change in J5.
It would not apply to 1st ed though but that is not needed anyway as 1st ed do not allow HEAT vs Bocage anyway.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, Yarlis; I don't have J5--thought there must have been an errata somewhere, but couldn't find it. Hear that everyone in the tourney?

And thank you, da Priest, for your response, too. :)