Finns in Snow scenario

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

just have a question, as I am designing a Winter War scenario (as you can guess, in Snow).

Is there any reason to indicate in the SSR that the Finns have Skis or Winter Camouflage?

It seems no me that nothing needs to be said about it, since all Finns are Ski-Capable as per their nationality characteristics and any Ski Capable unit automatically has Winter Camo.

Can someone confirm that is the correct interpretation? Would everyone play it that way without wondering about it?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, if you don't include Ski counters, your units being Ski-capable won't help them very much.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
E4.4 states: A Unit that is ski-equipped at scenario is also assumed to be wearing Winter Camouflaged. (3.712)

Winter Camouflage may be bought as part of Ch. H DYO purchase H1.203 on it's own or as part of Ski purchase H1.202.

So my reading is that for a standard scenario WC must be specified by SSR giving that side (or part of that side) WC or automatically if some or all of a side are given Skis by SSR.

If only part of a side are given Skis then only that part automatically gets WC. Of course in that case the scenario designer is free to SSR that all of that side or even none of that side, including the Skiers, have WC.

So it's up to the designer to give WC by SSR. WC is only automatic for Ski-equipped units. So Finns don't normally have WC unless SSRed (explicitly or by having Skis).

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 166 -- Skiing in Lapland from Hakkaa Paalle SSRs that all the Finns (and Dummies) and Russian Ski Detachment have skis and are in Winter Camoflage. No ski counters are shown on the OB's. (I think the winter camoflage reminder in the SSR is just that a reminder and strictly speaking wouldn't need to be mentioned.)