Finn Project

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are some rare counters but no Finn MGs. We had developed possibilities, but mostly different mounts that would have provided some versions that can and cannot be dm. HP generically covered these with the HMGs. Although there is an easy argument for MMG versions that could be dm with a B12, decided to not go with them.

The one thing that I caved on, that still boggles my mind is the Finn LMG. Prior to HP release had this designed as either a 2-4 or 2-5. I would like to know the design thought behind the 2-8; assuming I simply missed something. I know that actual range isnt everything in ASL terms, but the Russian LMG had an effective range twice that of the Finn LMG. And the Finns thought the Russian LMG was so superior, that by 1944 something like 75%??? of all their LMGs were the Russian version. The depicted ASL values were surprising to me.
Regardless, just rolled without any modified Finn MG, for better or worse depending on ones viewpoint.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The disappointment tastes like bile in the back of my throat. I suppose this means no Aerosan passenger counters either. The wait continues.....
I am saying with all seriousness, I thought you were joking.

My understanding is the Russians used them in the Winter War only in a evac wounded, etc kind of way. No recon, etc, ie, no 'combat missions'. They did add MGs to some but didnt change their role. It wasnt until later in WW2 that the Russians used them for recon.
The Finns captured some during the WW, but werent actively used in combat.

Admittedly, with this generic info did not go into any full research. Is their a true "need"????

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am saying with all seriousness, I thought you were joking.

My understanding is the Russians used them in the Winter War only in a evac wounded, etc kind of way. No recon, etc, ie, no 'combat missions'. They did add MGs to some but didnt change their role. It wasnt until later in WW2 that the Russians used them for recon.
The Finns captured some during the WW, but werent actively used in combat.

Admittedly, with this generic info did not go into any full research. Is their a true "need"????
I was joking Chas. Humor does not translate well to the forums. It is a play on other useless counters like the Trailer Passenger and Animal Pack. There are rules for them, but I've only see ONE scenario that might use Trailer Passenger and none with Animal Pack.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was joking Chas. Humor does not translate well to the forums. It is a play on other useless counters like the Trailer Passenger and Animal Pack. There are rules for them, but I've only see ONE scenario that might use Trailer Passenger and none with Animal Pack.
🤣🤣🤣I thought it was a joke. Several people have mentioned it. I didnt want to be rude and discount someone or something.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, Doug's forum poker face is harsh. Where are those lightning counters from the Annual years back? Why haven't they printed them? If you can do cows you can do lightning

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, Doug's forum poker face is harsh. Where are those lightning counters from the Annual years back? Why haven't they printed them? If you can do cows you can do lightning
Cows? They have counters for COWS now? I need to start paying attention to other posts on this board. Time to engage the search function!

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Response to "Teletanks" from another thread.

These are not in MC. From what we could assess they had them, but never really got them effectively into the Finn lines. This is seems accurate, because the Russians struggled to organize and control maneuver with tanks with actual crews. There is no indication that they used them during the renewed offensive in 1940, or in 1941, which indicates they did not work at all. So yes they existed, but not worthwhile to do these considering they really didnt even get used in the intended way.

I can tell you that you will get multiple scenarios with the SMK, T-100, early KV, and first KV152*.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So yes they existed, but not worthwhile to do these considering they really didnt even get used in the intended way.
And you're letting this trivial detail get in the way of designing a kick-ass scenario? ;)

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would normally post something like this closer to release, but getting questions about it. Interestingly, some people dont like Fortified defense scenarios, but the questions revolve around ensuring we have them.
The answer is yes. We did cut some so it wasnt some of the same stuff over and over. But the Million Dollar Bunker (Sj5), The Giant, Muola 1, etc, are all featured in scenarios.

Some scenario Titles: Attacking the Giant, Gateway to Vipurii, Million Dollar Bash, Summajarvi 5, Muola 1, Fire and Brimstone, Red Ice, Leningrad Monsters, etc.

However, the number of scenarios with both sides attacking, new types of non-standard MISSION, etc, is pretty good.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cows? They have counters for COWS now? I need to start paying attention to other posts on this board. Time to engage the search function!
Oh yeah, go read that St-Mere-Eglise thread. It just got released as a HASL.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Some scenario Titles: Attacking the Giant, Gateway to Vipurii, Million Dollar Bash, Summajarvi 5, Muola 1, Fire and Brimstone, Red Ice, Leningrad Monsters, etc.
cannot help myself - some finnish spelling. Viipuri and Muolaa are the correct spellings of these.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and my guess for the Secret Never-Before Released Finnish Counter is this one:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Million Dollar Bunker. Summajarvi 5 (Sj5). As of now 2 scenarios. One large, the other smaller covering the final few hundred meters and direct attack on it.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The AT Boulders, Wire, and tremendous field of fire can be seen.
What you cant see is that the bunker is 60 metes long.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some (maybe) interesting design notes as I continue to work through stuff.

-Russian use of Canister. Two specific actions Dec 39 and June 44 of Russian guns fire Canister at attacking Finn infantry. '44 one did not make the cut.

-Used a good amount of Russian sourcing. This is always a problem, but was more so here. The accounts are tremendous, but dont match up datewise with Western sources. Did my best to weed through this, dates may or may not match.

-Confusing unit IDs. Russian had two units with same name 27th Tank Regiment. Then you have Guards, Separate, Heavy, etc for both of these in various sources. And I think many sources get them mixed up and use the names interchangeably, and the error is sourced from one book to another. One regiment had T-34/85s, one had JS-IIs. As a note, I think the scenario Retaking the VT Line correctly has the T-34/85s and ISU-152s.

-Many of the T-34/85 crews were new, inexperienced and incompetent. One could actually implement Inexperienced Crew rules for them, but I did not.