Finn Project

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
-Used a good amount of Russian sourcing. This is always a problem, but was more so here. The accounts are tremendous, but dont match up datewise with Western sources. Did my best to weed through this, dates may or may not match.
This is a real challenge. I have more experience from my air combat side of interest and to matching Russian accounts something from the Finnish side is a pain.

-Confusing unit IDs. Russian had two units with same name 27th Tank Regiment. Then you have Guards, Separate, Heavy, etc for both of these in various sources. And I think many sources get them mixed up and use the names interchangeably, and the error is sourced from one book to another. One regiment had T-34/85s, one had JS-IIs. As a note, I think the scenario Retaking the VT Line correctly has the T-34/85s and ISU-152s.

-Many of the T-34/85 crews were new, inexperienced and incompetent. One could actually implement Inexperienced Crew rules for them, but I did not.
Do you mean ASL 171 Retaking the VKT line? I did the best I could with the things I had available at the time but the Russian OB is an educated guess.

The Russian T-34/85s indeed were not used to the best effect in the late June Battle.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
View attachment 24470
The Million Dollar Bunker. Summajarvi 5 (Sj5). As of now 2 scenarios. One large, the other smaller covering the final few hundred meters and direct attack on it.
This photo is probably taken during winter of 1941-42 wen Finns had recaptures the area. in 1940 it would have not been so flawlessly white....

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a real challenge. I have more experience from my air combat side of interest and to matching Russian accounts something from the Finnish side is a pain.

Do you mean ASL 171 Retaking the VKT line? I did the best I could with the things I had available at the time but the Russian OB is an educated guess.

The Russian T-34/85s indeed were not used to the best effect in the late June Battle.
Yes, the HP scenario. I probably got the name wrong.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are actually at 43 scenarios currently:
-30 Final
-4 Near Final
-9 Testing

Significant development and editing ongoing with articles.

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More musings.
ASL (rightfully so) calls the T-28 a Medium Tank.
The Russians appear to have called the units with T-28s "Heavy" Tank units. However, this is not consistent throughout sources. For example, the same unit could be referred as the 20th Tank Brigade, or the 20th Heavy Tank Brigade, and the same for its subordinate battalions.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More musings.
ASL (rightfully so) calls the T-28 a Medium Tank.
The Russians appear to have called the units with T-28s "Heavy" Tank units. However, this is not consistent throughout sources. For example, the same unit could be referred as the 20th Tank Brigade, or the 20th Heavy Tank Brigade, and the same for its subordinate battalions.
Only a guess here, but perhaps with the "new" KVs being introduced in '39-40 the designation became a bit clouded or perhaps confusing as the T28 went from being the "heavy" tank to being more antiquated and used more in the medium tank roles (particular unit's MTOE dependent of course upon fielding of the newer models).

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only a guess here, but perhaps with the "new" KVs being introduced in '39-40 the designation became a bit clouded or perhaps confusing as the T28 went from being the "heavy" tank to being more antiquated and used more in the medium tank roles (particular unit's MTOE dependent of course upon fielding of the newer models).
Perhaps in 1941. In November 39 the only true "heavy tanks" were the SMK, T-100, KV prototype.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked into this a bit further and perhaps this may be the reason:
The Initial use of the T-28A Model 1934's was as their medium tank but during the initial fighting with the Finns they found that the older low velocity WW-I era MA KT-76.2mm gun were insufficient to knock out the Finnish bunkers. In a crash program some older T-28A's and all of the newer arriving T-28B Model 1938's were outfitted with the more powerful L-10 76.2 mm gun, an increase in caliber from 16.5 to 26 (the same gun that would be mounted on the T-35 Heavy Tank and the Initial KV-1). Specifically, the 91st Tank Battalion was the first to use these up-gunned T28s in the Battle of Summa, 19-20 December 1939.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting thought. I think they were also "Heavy Tank Brigades" during Poland Invasion.
The answer, if there is one, is not relevant. Just notes of interest.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting thought. I think they were also "Heavy Tank Brigades" during Poland Invasion.
The answer, if there is one, is not relevant. Just notes of interest.
Yup. But I like looking into things like that, if not for actual usage value, at least to somewhat satisfy an innate curiosity.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couldnt help myself. A scenario that is "potentially" too good to leave out. So have a concept check of it going on and will decide whether to include or not.
But goshdarnit, this is the final line in the sand on scenarios:p Significant progress this week.

So at 44 scenarios latest data:
-32 Final
-3 Near Final
-8 Testing
-1 Concept Check

Tony Gibson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Couldnt help myself. A scenario that is "potentially" too good to leave out. So have a concept check of it going on and will decide whether to include or not.
But goshdarnit, this is the final line in the sand on scenarios:p Significant progress this week.

So at 44 scenarios latest data:
-32 Final
-3 Near Final
-8 Testing
-1 Concept Check
Are you sure Chas?

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Article formatting is an area where we are making improvements in MC.
We have published some very informative rules/tactical articles over the years. They are lengthy and detailed, which is good, however the way we have done it can be better going forward.

What we are doing with the rules articles stuff is having more headers and at a minimum something in bold. What I am saying is say you are unclear on say
HBR 1.5x.
1.5x and its title will be in bold so it is much easier to quickly reference the discussion and examples that go with it.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So looking at the ad in LFT 15, and is that a panzerfaust hero I see??

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still 12 scenarios in various states of testing. But much progress across the board.
Big next two weeks with significant number of games being played. If this goes well we are probably at a point where the scenarios will be final, or at 95%+, in a couple of months. Writing, editing, etc will be biggest tasks still ahead. But also making significant progress in this area.