Final Fire - in menu please

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

Well with Red October here the wait is over, rejoice ASL players one and all, sing hosanna...

OK now the the serious stuff..

PLEASE can the man up top add a FINAL fire to the right click menu.. ?

No not first fire, then have to disengage all the other counters from the "pick" then ... et al ...

It is soo simple... DF............... Pick units right click --> final fire.. ☕

Lastly.

Can it please be made possible to multi pick 2, 3 units ( separate loc/ hexes)and no matter where the SW is/are that the correct fire phase counter goes on top of all. ?

It is very fiddly dealing with this and it could be so much faster/ easier...

Thanks

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think there are more important issues for the unpaid programming resources that support VASL.

JMMHO, as always.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I just grab a Final Fire counter from here:
I have to agree with the Oberst. I work very quickly - keyboard shortcuts with the left hand, mouse with the right - and while there are shortcuts for Prep Fire, Pin, First Fire, there isn't one for Final Fire, and having to click through a bunch of menus to get one is annoyingly slow.

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Just in case you didn't know: you can edit the tear-off menu to make items top-level.
There is actually a keyboard short for Final Fire, but it has disastrous side-effects. CTRL-J -> CTRL-F. The side effect being that when you CTRL-J a counter, the new counter and the previously selected counter remain selected. So you get a broken Final Fired squad under a DM counter.

Another bummer is that if you have 2 hexes with a squad+SW in each, you have to remember CTRL-J because the SW doesn't have First Fire available at all.

So there would be a few behaviors in VAS(SA)L that might have to altered to accommodate these kinds of multi-stack options.
The path with the fewest side-effects would probably be to set the hotkey for D1F/DFF on the First Fire counter to something unused like , (comma) so you could multi-select, CTRL-J -> CTRL -> , and only the FF counter would be affected.

And it's time you removed your out-of-date Overlays extension, @witchbottles

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with the Oberst. I work very quickly - keyboard shortcuts with the left hand, mouse with the right - and while there are shortcuts for Prep Fire, Pin, First Fire, there isn't one for Final Fire, and having to click through a bunch of menus to get one is annoyingly slow.
I'm not playing "speed ASL" so for me, it really is no difference and I can't remember keyboard shortcuts anyway most of the time. Its VASL for a friendly game or for PBEM, or for playtesting - nothing else and none of which require rapid fire counter manipulation.

Besides, you can customize the drag and drop counter menu as you prefer in VASL nowadays, and if you like Final Fire by itself, simply place it there by itself and its a drag and drop - maybe about 1/8th of 1 second slower than using a programmed in or self-manufactured keyboard shortcut.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can hotkeys be assigned to ALT? ALT-J to get directly to final fire would be pleasing.

I do have my tear-off menu nicely customized, but I'm generally in favor of reducing its use as much as possible in-game.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the tenants of being a good steward of VASL is to only add features that the bulk of the users find useful. Remember that every new feature has a cost in additional complexity to learn and use.

Given this request hasn't come up on a somewhat regular basis indicates it's not something most players would want or would use.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Given this request hasn't come up on a somewhat regular basis indicates it's not something most players would want or would use.
TBH, I haven't asked for it since it's such a small thing, and I didn't want to bother the devs with it, especially since there's a way of doing it already. But counters already have Prep Fire, First Fire, Pin (and others), so why not Final Fire as well? Is Final Fire really used so little, relative to Prep Fire and First Fire, that it's not worth having the shortcut?

But since it's come up (and it does annoy me): +1 I would really like a keyboard shortcut for a Final Fire counter.

Last edited: