Final Battlestar Galactica tonight!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Tonight is the last episode of Battlestar Galactica. Here are my predictions.

1. The Battlestar Galactica will be destroyed.
  2. Gaius Baltar will hook up with at least one hot chick.
  3. Brother Cavil go down fighting the other cylons.
  4. Colonel Tigh will get drunk.
  5. Starbuck will turn out to be a cylon.
  6. Nuclear weapons will be used in anger. There will be pwnage.
  7. The little girl will be rescued.
  8. President Laura Roslin will succumb to her illness.
  9. Admiral Adama will cry and throw something across his quarters.
  10. You will know the truth: the cylons never had a plan.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
**spoilers**

1. Check
  2. Check
  3. Check
  4. Check
  5. Well, I guess she turned out to be, well, nothing. Lame.
  6. Check
  7. Check
  8. Check
  9. Even worse. He runs off alone to die in the woods.
  10. 100% check
In this case, I really hate being right. The show was good for the first hour and then drove into a ditch at the speed of light. Or the speed of an FTL drive.

These people fought like tigers all across the universe just so they could start an Amish colony among prehistoric humans. WTF? It goes without saying, most of them will be dead within six months. And Adama just abandons his family to wonder off and die? The chief, too?

Overall, I give it a C-.

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, they did give it an ending. I'll take it over the Sopranos.

But out of all the choices made, I think Cavil's showed the most sense.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must agree 100%. For a show that was such a kick in the pants, story, acting, cast, production values... I felt like I was watching an episode produced by "Barney". C'mon man, there have been twists and turns pretty much through the whole series, and to have it come down to this was just sad! Still loved the show though and glad for all the time I spent watching. The irony in the show was pretty good I must admit, but still just a below average ranking from me.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the ending was great personally. It seemed to fit the Battlestar Galactica ethos quite well in my honest opinion. Yes it may have been a bit predictable as is the case with all shows and movies, ect... but even the best shows are never perfect. Yet, for me, I'd have to say the finale was as close to a solid/perfect ending as any, it answered a majority of questions as it "left" standing (if any). For instance, Kara, you could read your character in the final season in any way, was she the harbinger of death for the Cylons only, and or just some angelic/ghost/wtfever form? Who knows that, maybe that's how it should be... It was great for entertainment purposes and everyone's expectations for it was either too high or low.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ending was odd. The whole "why was Hera so important afterall" thought immediately popped into my head and I see it was one of the points on that Yahoo article. Still the important thing is that it ended. It had to end. But any ending would have been anti-climatic. Shoulda hired the dudes that did that one Newhart series with the golf ball hitting him in the head and he wakes up next to Susan Pleshette. Now THAT was an ending.

On a side note, that Caprica movie and series looks promising.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been playing catch-up and just blitzed the last two halves of the last series on DVD this weekend. Just this afternoon finished the last episode. I loved it.

Usually I get up tight when 'God' gets mentioned in TV shows as a force behind what's going on. I gave up on 'Quantum Leap' for that reason. But something about the way it was handled here seemed less onerous - probably because there was a fair bit of irony in the way it went down. I'm particularly amused at Starbuck, a foul mouthed, hard drinking hard fracking fighter jock turning out to be an 'angel.'

Going to miss it.

Candice

Reaction score
I loved BSG up until the last ~10 minutes. Right when Lee Adama says they need to go back to nature. That was the most WTF, total betrayal of the characters and the fans I could imagine. It was the writers' ham-fisted desires riding roughshod over being faithful to the characters.

It was so obvious that the "plan" was that the Colonists/Cylons/Hera would be our ancestors, and the last 30 mins of the show were to make that happen. No matter the shite shovelled, it *had* to happen. Why does BSG have to be in *our* universe? Why must it be some sort of warning to us? How selfish is that? The writers just destroyed everything these characters fought and died for.

The only way I can still love BSG (and I do) is to insist that the show ends differently. Everything from Lee's BS speech on didn't happen.

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The more I think about it, the less enamored I become with BSG. It had its moments, but taken as a whole it increasingly feels sloppy and contrived. And after watching 'Caprica', I wasn't left with an impression that it will be any different.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I loved BSG up until the last ~10 minutes. Right when Lee Adama says they need to go back to nature. That was the most WTF, total betrayal of the characters and the fans I could imagine. It was the writers' ham-fisted desires riding roughshod over being faithful to the characters.

It was so obvious that the "plan" was that the Colonists/Cylons/Hera would be our ancestors, and the last 30 mins of the show were to make that happen. No matter the shite shovelled, it *had* to happen. Why does BSG have to be in *our* universe? Why must it be some sort of warning to us? How selfish is that? The writers just destroyed everything these characters fought and died for.

The only way I can still love BSG (and I do) is to insist that the show ends differently. Everything from Lee's BS speech on didn't happen.
Then why don't you write and produce a better sci fi show? Or more correctly a science fantasy show.

What we overlook is that these people existed in a universe where they'd cracked (amongst other things) artificial gravity, FTL drives, miraculous fuel for star ships and fully functional artificial life forms. Let aside the mystical mumbo jumbo of prophecy, predictive foresight, telepathic implantation and reincarnation. And we're focused on the ending they chose? Nah, it was fine.

Last edited:

Candice

Reaction score
Just because I am not a professional writer doesn't mean I don't know a poor ending when I see one. I certainly know when an ending doesn't please me. The argument "you haven't done X yourself, so you have no authority to criticise X" doesn't hold water because I am the audience for the thing I am criticising. They made the ending for me, and others like me. We in general aren't pleased, and I'm perfectly qualified to tell why I am not pleased.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are asserting that the ending for BSG was fine because the advanced technology enjoyed by the characters made their decision to abandon said technology acceptable and reasonable.

If so, I completely dissagree. The key reason BSG works as a compelling drama is that for all the technology and setting, these characters are very real and live in a world with consequences as real as our own. The technology has not changed the fact that cancer is a terrifying disease or that racism exists. Why should it make a decision to go back to nature any more reasonable than it would be today? I didn't get the impression that Colonial thinkers had any better philosophy for life than we do, and Lee's unilateral decision to destroy their society and culture as well as commit individual suicide (from environment, starvation, disease, isolation, native attack, etc) seems simply insane and completely inexplicable.

The only reason I can come up with is that the show's writers had an agenda, a message that we viewers had to be bludgeoned with. It was as sloppy as the worst episode of Star Trek or The Twilight Zone. My anger and frustration comes from the feelings of betrayal I experienced because I invested emotionally into these characters and their world. To see them piss it all away because the writers want to make some luddite/noble savage point hurt me in an almost physical way. The show had been so smart and so true to its characters only to vomit on them at the end.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just because I am not a professional writer doesn't mean I don't know a poor ending when I see one. I certainly know when an ending doesn't please me. The argument "you haven't done X yourself, so you have no authority to criticise X" doesn't hold water because I am the audience for the thing I am criticising. They made the ending for me, and others like me. We in general aren't pleased, and I'm perfectly qualified to tell why I am not pleased.
Point taken. I note that I'm in a minority if the poll on Sci Fi channel forum is anything to go by. Each to their own taste is the answer I suppose. Its not like I've never suffered the same with other series. I hated the way 'The Prisoner' ended and for that matter the end of DS9 and Voyager didn't meet my approval either. Biggest 'betrayal' I ever felt was at the start of Alien 3, when they casually announce that the other two survivors oof the second film had died in a fire. I nearly got up and walked out of the cinema because it spoils 'Aliens.'

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are asserting that the ending for BSG was fine because the advanced technology enjoyed by the characters made their decision to abandon said technology acceptable and reasonable.
Nope, I'm saying that given the show deals with an entirely fantastical situation in the first place. Its impossible to say how people who are cooped up in cramped conditions on the run for years on end, having seen a society wiped out by their own technology and political system turning on them, may react when shown a green field to walk through in just a loin cloth. Walk a light year in their shoes is what I'm saying.

If so, I completely dissagree. The key reason BSG works as a compelling drama is that for all the technology and setting, these characters are very real and live in a world with consequences as real as our own. The technology has not changed the fact that cancer is a terrifying disease or that racism exists. Why should it make a decision to go back to nature any more reasonable than it would be today? I didn't get the impression that Colonial thinkers had any better philosophy for life than we do, and Lee's unilateral decision to destroy their society and culture as well as commit individual suicide (from environment, starvation, disease, isolation, native attack, etc) seems simply insane and completely inexplicable.
As far as believability of I found some of the character traits, even of leading characters, to be strained at times and very inconsistent, all for melodrama. Lee and William Adama's fallout before the Baltar trial was more of a stretch for me than the series ending, for example.

As for suicide, I'm not so sure. Resourceful people working together might have a shot. It's no more far fetched than the whole premise of the show. Well, not to me anyways. And there's the whole god thing. All bets are off if, in a fantastical world, a god is a real entity. A wafe of the divine hand and a population's mind could be swayed. One of the downsides of having dieties around.

The only reason I can come up with is that the show's writers had an agenda, a message that we viewers had to be bludgeoned with. It was as sloppy as the worst episode of Star Trek or The Twilight Zone. My anger and frustration comes from the feelings of betrayal I experienced because I invested emotionally into these characters and their world. To see them piss it all away because the writers want to make some luddite/noble savage point hurt me in an almost physical way. The show had been so smart and so true to its characters only to vomit on them at the end.
Well I'm sorry it hurt that bad. The again if you want more pain, go and watch 'Spock's Brain' or 'Shades of Grey' from TOS and TNG respectively. Bleh.

As for an agenda, I don't think its safe to infer any such. They just reached a little to make the Humans turn out to be our ancestors.

Candice

Reaction score
Agreed that Alien^3 sucked ass in killing Hicks and Newt. It was an all-around cluster-frak for all concerned and we must not speak of it again. Haven't seen the end of The Prisoner, and DS9 and Voyager weren't the end of the line for their universe or characters. They were an end to a chapter. Besides, the way other SF turned out doesn't have any bearing on how BSG should have turned out.

As for the way the colonists/Cylons were changed during their journey, I give the example of how they reacted to earth1 being a blasted wasteland: They became suicidal and descended into anarchy. They had been following a dream which turned into ashes in their mouths. Understandably they were upset and despondent. Contrast that with finding the blue marble of our earth. It was a luscious paradise in which they could make a better society based on all the things they learned in their journey. Their reaction was to disperse so as to ensure complete destruction and leave no trace of their very existence.

That makes no sense. It was an even worse version of their reaction to earth1. I don't know of any situation in which I'm given exactly what I've longed for and the decision is to abandon it and kill myself. That's just insane. Perhaps some of them were insane, but all of them? All at once? With no resistance? Its a contrived ending, plain and simple.

They *did* intend on committing suicide. Romo Lampkin wanted to build a city to live in, and start to develop what agriculture they could. But Lee's persuasive argument wins him over and he gladly decides to march off over the hill to his death. What chance did they have? Besides, we aren't even allowed to delude ourselves into believing they made it. It's clear that they all died out without a trace, except for Hera. Who died in her teens, from all evidence. That's about the most depressing ending I can think of for the survivors.

I can't compare any dissapointment with ST with that in BSG. I never felt truly connected to any ST characters. They were never real, they all seemed to be small facets of one uber-character. But digressions aside, I'm glad you enjoyed the ending for BSG. Thank you for trying to defend it.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know of any situation in which I'm given exactly what I've longed for and the decision is to abandon it and kill myself.
Why do you think they dispersed and killed themselves? To me they dispersed and established the various cultures and races of earth. And we became becasue of them... thus the "angles' walking in crowd on modern day earth. In the end, through all their hardship despair, their prophecy was realized.

Candice

Reaction score
I think that because there is no evidence left behind that the BSG people ever existed except for "mitichondrial Eve" i.e. Hera. This was 150,000 years ago by the voice-over. Humans weren't all over the world that long ago. That's the reason the find of Hera in Tanzania was written that way. Humanity spread out from Africa, but if you recall the map of where the colonists dispersed to, they were all over the world.

And another reason- If Hera is the common ancestor of humanity, then why in the world did none of the other colonists show up as fossils? Or their clothes? Their buttons on their clothes? They must have fired all of that into the sun as well.

Thinking on this still more, I am convinced that Ron D. Moore felt he had a clever way to tie it all up and bridge the gap between Sci-Fi and reality. I'll grant that if one doesn't look closely enough or doesn't give a rat's ass about the truth of the characters or human nature that it all works out cleverly. The core of the reason that I have for hating this ending is that it abandons the reason that BSG was a superior show- fidelity to the characters.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't watched the last three episodes on purpose. I am waiting for the next DVD "The Plan". The I am watching the last three episodes and then watching the plan.