Fighter-bombers / Sniper rules

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an interest in designing new Fighter-bomber rules that are more abstract than the current set of rules. The ASL rules regarding FBs seem off-base for a number of reasons already discussed here.
My question - has anyone already designed FB abstract rules that resemble Sniper rules? It seems to me that approaching FBs is similar to how the revised and abstracted Sniper rules were designed for ASL.

If not, then I plan to prepare them I suppose. Seems to be a good idea.
Any ideas?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Perhaps something using a secret dr for moving units, as for Bog during Mud or Deep Snow?
Or drawing cards each time a unit enters a new hex (red = possible air attack), where the proportion of red/black cards can be tuned.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thinking this way:

• Scenario gives Player FB# (think - [SAN]) in OB. FB# identifies: 1) how many FBs, 2) how many Turns they can have them come in together
  • Activation / Placement: Player places FB counter(s) which resemble Sniper counters (hex with numbers) during Prep wherever, rolls dr for extent of error. FB's must be at least 5 hexes apart on placement
  • Effect: FB hits closest unit (including friendlies, ?) with designated FP (ie. 150, 200mm)
  • no strafing MGs, no STC, no nothing but one single bomb attack
  • best of all - no headaches
Call it an Optional Simplicty Rule for brains like mine, that need simplicity

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It could be done that way, very clean, simple and quick. Effectively, it's a big one use OBA fire mission and would be particularly good at replicating medium level bombing.
You coukd complicate it as much as you want, assigning greater chance of being selected by the sighting task check table, more vulnerable behind a wall than in an orchard etc.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that in a ground game like ASL, anything other than ground fighting should be abstracted, if at all included. This is a way to do that.