Fight fer Seoul: Sparse Woods and Planes

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys,
Been playing some of these scenarios, super fun!
Situation: A unit is behind woods, in a hex that would normally not be possible to make a sighting TC if normal woods (blind). But of course it can be seen there because the woods are a hindrance.
Question: Does the +2 hindrance apply to the sighting TC? To the attack? Both? Neither?
Merci!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This question is relevant to light woods in general vs aerial attacks. Perhaps ask in the rules and errata section?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have found the answer. Light woods are only a hindrance to same level LOS. Otherwise they are a obstacle. Like an in season orchard.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per errata that was in the Pocket Rulebook the sighting TC for Light Woods is +2. See also B35.1 - second and/or last sentence.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Per errata that was in the Pocket Rulebook the sighting TC for Light Woods is +2. See also B35.1 - second and/or last sentence.
If you are in the woods yes. The question was about if you are behind them.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Light woods are only a hindrance to same level LOS. Otherwise they are a obstacle.
But, these are 'sparse woods', which are a hindrance for different level LOS. SSR for the Fight For Seoul module, which is why I put it here instead of the Rules Folder.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if you look at Smiths Ridge rule 11.1 it states that Sparse Woods are treated as Light Woods. Based on this rule they also DO NOT create a LOS Obstacle.

I was involved in the PT and will verify the response, but since it is not an Obstacle then it would not create a Blind Hex (A6.4).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In that case I would treat the +2 hindrance as a sighting TC DRM and also a +2 hindrance to the aircraft attack.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
However, if you look at E.6 then it says that level two Smoke is only a hindrance in it's own hex. Not in adjacent hexes. Also an out of season orchard does not create a hindrance to aerial attacks vs adjacent hexes. So perhaps the LOS is clear? It is best to ask the designer Andy Hershey.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
for an aerial attack yes - it is +2 if the unit is in the Sparse woods - from a ground level attack it is +2 per hex.

If the unit is behind the woods, normal hindrances do not affect the the sighting TC.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! It is pretty clear given smoke and orchards cast no hindrance. I didn't realize that was the case either.