FGM Presents - Operation Overlord

Fredrock

Reaction score
For all that is interested...

The Few Good Men is running a campaign that is the only one like it in the CMx2 Wargaming Community... FGM Operation Overlord...

Overview With a layer above the standard battalion level fighting with CMBN and 'all' its modules (including future and potential Bulge and Eastern Front Games), Operation Overlord is designed to recreate the fighting starting with the invasion of Fortress Europe by the Allies... and run through the end of the war...

A unqiue Unit overlay system utilizing regimental size units on a prototypical hex map is the core to the campaign... With an Overall Commander per side, 2nd in command, and battlefield commanders, along with individual order of battles (reflecting battle damage, retrofit, supply, movement) the HQ Teams of both the Allied and Axis have input into their main objectives...

A sneak peak at the map and some units are below...

Currently we are looking for Battlefield Commanders... check it out at FGM Operation Overlord

Also we are running FGM's unique Domination Campaigns in both CMx1 and CMBN... and a smaller scale campaign involving Syria and Nato (Operation Desert Lance) in CMSF...

Stop by... Join, and Enjoy...

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm already enlisted for the Allies. I am hoping the rules don't weigh me down like CMMC did. I am optimistic so far that they won't won't.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looks good. Is it open ended or time limited? What I mean is, will it end?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks good. Is it open ended or time limited? What I mean is, will it end?
It said in the sign up forum to be prepared to buy all future CM releases because it will continue through Market Garden and the Bulge. Although I imagine if you needed to you could be "replaced" if you didn't want to continue.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It looks very familiar to one of Rico's campaign style games, where you use a hex system on a larger map with basic rules and a team based system that resolves hex combat with a CMBN QB game.

I liked it a lot when I was at FGM.

Cheers!

Leto

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It said in the sign up forum to be prepared to buy all future CM releases because it will continue through Market Garden and the Bulge. Although I imagine if you needed to you could be "replaced" if you didn't want to continue.
Its just that I have become very wary of these types of campaigns over the years. Although they always start out very enjoyable energy seems to be sapped when they drag on for years, or even many months. I have never seen one finish.

This doesnt mean they arent good fun though, because they are and I wouldnt want to put anyone off joining it.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its just that I have become very wary of these types of campaigns over the years. Although they always start out very enjoyable energy seems to be sapped when they drag on for years, or even many months. I have never seen one finish.

This doesnt mean they arent good fun though, because they are and I wouldnt want to put anyone off joining it.

I think all three of the CMMCs I did finished. I know the first 2 did for sure.

Fredrock

Reaction score
Hey Guys...

The way I understand it, there will be finishing objectives for each major operation... Overlord... Dragoon, Market Garden, etc.... but when the campaign ends the units will carry over (if applicable) to the next campaign in the condition from the previous.... Battles will be short 20-45 minutes... and OOB's will be selective from a unit overall OOB... Also Unit wins and loses will be tracked... supply, retrofit, condition, etc... it is very intersting and a lot of work for the Game Master.... but for the end user... it is chime in on the team strategy.. When ready for battle . select your units OOB, and then fight....

Granted I figure the overall game to be endless... but the individual campaigns will draw to conclusion... without being a f-boy... FGM has an excellent record of finishing campaigns and tourneys started... in fact the Tag Team Battles and Last Man Standing are finishing up.. and CMBN Domination has more than 50 battles complete in just 5 months... FGM also has a great CMx1 Domination Campaign going on... (I personally love this one)... Also most stuff is first come first battle, with a reserve roster...

PS - Hey Geordie... let me know it you want to hit a CMBN CW battle .... I always like to lose to a pro... lmao

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
..without being a f-boy... FGM has an excellent record of finishing campaigns and tourneys started...
That wasn't my experience during my years as FGM 2nd in command!
Bootie was constantly having to kick tourneymeisters asses to make them keep their big over-complicated tourneys moving along at a fast pace, and sometimes he got fed up and cancelled tourneys that had gone dead in the water because people were bored krapless with them.
The only tourneys that were fast, exciting and constantly moving were usually mine because I always had a strict "March or Die' policy and anybody who couldn't keep up was soon out on their butts. After all, troops can't unrealistically dawdle along in real-life.
Anyway, people ENJOYED fighting under time-pressure in my tourneys and felt secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't let anybody slow things down.
I rarely enter other peoples tourneys because they're usually big sluggish frankenstein monsters and i'd rather hang myself..:)

Last edited:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Geordie... let me know it you want to hit a CMBN CW battle .... I always like to lose to a pro... lmao
Mate. If youve got anything in the pipeline you want tested etc, Id certainly be up for that. A game would be good too, though Im a wee bit rusty these days.

Bootie

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
This beast is still running. We have had a good few years fun out of it already and have nearly wracked up 100 scenarios played. Its getting near squeaky bum time as the Allies are starting to severely stretch the Axis lines. It has been a great endeavour.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This beast is still running. We have had a good few years fun out of it already and have nearly wracked up 100 scenarios played. Its getting near squeaky bum time as the Allies are starting to severely stretch the Axis lines. It has been a great endeavour.
My original post was correct then....

Keep it up it may last as long as the war did as that rate.

ksbearski

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my my, the gang is almost all here for the 10+ year anniversary of the Blitz shenanigans. Blitz, Geordie, Bootie...all we need is Red Devil and the games can begin afresh...

Unless of course we have all mellowed with age, which we have. Actually it's refreshing to see you all posted in this thread. And I was just thinking of starting a "Whatever happened to Geordie?" thread.

Salute to you all.

Barry aka ksbearski aka HOA_KSOP

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh my my, the gang is almost all here for the 10+ year anniversary of the Blitz shenanigans. Blitz, Geordie, Bootie...all we need is Red Devil and the games can begin afresh...

Unless of course we have all mellowed with age, which we have. Actually it's refreshing to see you all posted in this thread. And I was just thinking of starting a "Whatever happened to Geordie?" thread.

Salute to you all.

Barry aka ksbearski aka HOA_KSOP
I think I've mellowed with age. Nice to know we're all still kicking about though:)

has anyone seen POS? He was an old codger ten years ago.

Last edited:

ksbearski

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I've mellowed with age. Nice to know we're all still kicking about though:)

has anyone seen POS? He was an old codger ten years ago.
I believe POS is over at the Blitz. Seems he has not been active there for three monthes....

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I haven't played CM or visited their forums for a long, long time, but reading THE STORY SO FAR thread for this campaign is some of the most fun CM based reading I've seen in years. This looks like a lot of fun.

Just curious if some of the scenarios being played are made available as standalones? Would love to see some of those maps/battles, especially some of the beach assaults. I thought CM would never cover that type of battle.