FfS Review

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More photos from Ben Jones on FB. Here we have the Marines assaulting across the paddy fields in Smiths Ridge.

View attachment 11095
How can anyone play this way? The humanity!!! All the counters should be facing in the same direction (up). These counters are pointing in whatever direction the freakin wind blows.

My gawd, get organized!!! They're Marines fer Chrissakes...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, the Lance Corporals and Corporals leading the fire teams are positioning their men as they assess the threat within their immediate area, this holds true thru 'Nam and Iraq and A-stan. The KPA were excellent infiltrators and so facing to the 6 or 3 or 9 of the general line of advance was/is good SOP...

Now, if is this is supposed to be the Parade Deck in the Fish Bowl...there are issues.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always nice to see ones work make it to "print," whether its ASL or history pieces I have done. I started on it while working on FW, my earliest notes and rules/scenarios are 2011.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
He is going to put together a "The Making of FFS" video, complete with outtakes and bloopers reel.

JR
With every playtester found issues, the arguments, all the emotions, and the determinations .. a group of men coming together, overcoming their differences, dogs & cats sleeping together [music welling up on the background] .. uggh .. it's gonna be so inspirational!!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang! So you gonna do that unpacking video? :)
I can...you know how to make like cartoon movies by having stop action stick images on like post it note size pieces of paper...that is what it will look like. I leave it to my betters to show how it is really done....over to you Director Kwan.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can...you know how to make like cartoon movies by having stop action stick images on like post it note size pieces of paper...that is what it will look like. I leave it to my betters to show how it is really done....over to you Director Kwan.
You are describing what I have on most of my old engineering textbooks .. :D

Anyway, this must be a great moment for you. Congratulations!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine a couple days ago. Used works paper cutter to slice the scenarios and terrain charts down to 11 inches. Will put them in sheet protectors tonight. Hopefully, with most of the two sided scenarios opening up together...

Mighty fine maps. Scenarios take place all over the maps. I like the different booklets for each map. Haven’t opened the campaign booklet as I doubt I’ll use it.

Very impressive effort. Will give first impressions on the scenarios after I read thru each one. Happy to get more Korean War scenarios to play.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob is being modest...he and his two buddies (Jeff and Rob) W. did do some PT for this...as the credits note...but then Rob had to take a break due to life events, and his PT buddies as well as Zagnut was the local "cell" commander. But the point is Zagnut and Co. helped with the "impressive effort" for the time they were able and in the manner they were able, for which I am thankful.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I have just received my copy of Fight For Seoul.
As a Marine my studies were mostly concerned with the Pusan Perimeter and the Inchon landing.
But in due course I also looked at Marine history for Seoul.
I gotta say that the handling of the Marines in this historical module is the best that I have seen in ASL.
This is specially true for the use of Fire Teams.
I had pushed Mac back in the Avalon Hill days for Fire Teams but was denied.
I am very glad to see this accurate portrayal of Marine combat finally in the ASL system.
Andy's USMC research has exceed my own research from the USMC articles that I wrote for the old General magazine.
The use of KPA Barricades and Spider Holes has increased the accuracy of Korean combat in ASL.

My Congratulations go out to Andy for an exceptional rendition of the US Marines in Korea.
He deserved all possible credit for this design.

Steve Swann
SGT. USMC

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve,

Thank you for your review and kind words.

I think the elapse of time allowed me access to more research, but you certainly laid the foundation all those years ago.

Of course a different publishing platform in LFT also allowed the USMC fire team concept to get its full and rightful due. I also tried within the KWASL design team at all stages to get the fire team concept placed on the main page of the rules, and was, like you, denied (inter-service rivalry?...there were 2 Air Force, 2 Army (one a Ranger) and a civilian on the design team...guess who was the civilian???), the best I could achieve was the optional rule footnote which is in FW, but that still was not as I had intended it, but is close, but not perfect. FFS has the fire team rules as I had intended, and I would say in the best form. Furthermore, part of that design concept credit goes to Robert Hammond, who like you Steve served in the USMC as a sergeant. So you Marines have fought your fight to get it right, and I as a civilian have done my best to follow through for the Corps (both here and elsewhere, some of you are aware of that).

Design was only part of the effort to bring this product to light. Play testers, proofers, map makers, VASL-elves, and a host of in the field research experts helped me on this project (please see the Special Credits section folks). They deserve your kudos too.

Also credit goes out to another Marine Corps...the French Marine Corps and to Captain Xavier Vitry in command of "Le Franc Tireur" for his willingness to support my effort and research by actually publishing it. But then again he had already backed an even more interesting foray into ASL "Operation Chariot," which as it happens Steve Swann also had a part in. I think the ASL community at large should be grateful for such support that LFT has demonstrated for the wider scope that ASL can offer. So kudos to Captain X as well!

Respectfully,

Andy

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Pack from Spain,
Fell straight down from the Plane!

That's what the package looked like anyway but thank goodness "LFT The Fight for Seoul" arrived intact! Thanks X!!

Last edited: