FfS Q+A

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The back drop to this thread, actually makes the point all the more, and something I acknowledged in responding to the video.

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished playing first date for the Seoul Campaign

Enjoying the campaign so far (playing the KPA maybe I am just a masochist)!

Have a couple of questions (sorry if these have been answered elsewhere)

Page 7 of the Campaign Games Rules: UN Assault Scenario Victory for CGII
The wording seems to indicate that once the UN controls any of the listed buildings they win the scenario.
Should it be similar to KPA victory (more roadblocks controlled then at start or control of one of the listed buildings that was uncontrolled at start)?

Page 15 of the Campaign Games Rules: 11.609 Extinguishing Blazes
Looks like burning woods has been missed
My assumption is that woods should be included in 11.6092 Brush, Orchard, Wooden Rubble and turned into shellholes

Page 20 of the Campaign Games Rules: 11.6161 Historical DRM Chart
This section states "... and inversely to adjust the maximum number of Infantry Companies a side may purchase per CG Day (11.6195)."
There is no reference in 11.6195 to maximum number of Infantry Companies {there was in RB rules}.
Was the intention that
  1. No limits {Example both sides are limited only by the CG Max and CPP points}
  2. RB style limits - 2 companies + Reverse of Historical DRM {Example Marines can purchase 2 companies on 25PM and the KPA can purchase 4 companies on the 25N}
  3. Some other option { 2 companies max or 1 company per zone }
We found a couple of problems with the VASL extension
-Marines reduce to half squads not fire teams
-Red dot Marine fire teams when broken show the broken squad image not the fire team/half squad image

Do you have recommended books to get a better understanding of the scenarios and campaign games?

When are you going to publish an article (maybe a whole campaign study) on historical research and the campaign/scenario analysis, I am dying (as the KPA) to know more!

Jeff

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got FFS. Very impressive! And a lot of reading to be done.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff,

(Jeff is black font, Andy is blue font)

I am glad you and your OPFOR are enjoying your time in downtown Seoul...

Page 7 of the Campaign Games Rules: UN Assault Scenario Victory for CGII
The wording seems to indicate that once the UN controls any of the listed buildings they win the scenario. Should it be similar to KPA victory (more roadblocks controlled then at start or control of one of the listed buildings that was uncontrolled at start)?

It is the dreaded nature of “and/or” in ASL. It is Control more roadblocks than they started the date with AND any of the following buildings....

Page 15 of the Campaign Games Rules: 11.609 Extinguishing Blazes Looks like burning woods has been missed
My assumption is that woods should be included in 11.6092 Brush, Orchard, Wooden Rubble and turned into shellholes

Correct, add Woods before Brush in the title.

Page 20 of the Campaign Games Rules: 11.6161 Historical DRM ChartThis section states "... and inversely to adjust the maximum number of Infantry Companies a side may purchase per CG Day (11.6195)." There is no reference in 11.6195 to maximum number of Infantry Companies {there was in RB rules}. Was the intention that No limits {Example both sides are limited only by the CG Max and CPP points} RB style limits - 2 companies + Reverse of Historical DRM {Example Marines can purchase 2 companies on 25PM and the KPA can purchase 4 companies on the 25N}Some other option { 2 companies max or 1 company per zone }

See if I am reading you correctly here, we might be crossed wired for a second. The max is listed on the RG card, FfS 11.6195 notes this as where to look. The intention is as you phrased it “limited only by CG Max and CPP points.”

We found a couple of problems with the VASL extension
-Marines reduce to half squads not fire teams
-Red dot Marine fire teams when broken show the broken squad image not the fire team/half squad image

If you could report the VASL glitches to Tom Repettti (Tuomo), or Benj or Xavier or BigAL747. I am not VASL literate, as many of you know, and won't be able to rectify the glitch, other than reporting it myself, but your report carries as much weight as mine if not more, b/c you can provide VASL specfiic issues.

(Edit: I went ahead a send an e-mail to Tuomo. So the glitch has at least been logged.)

Do you have recommended books to get a better understanding of the scenarios and campaign games?

You can find a free condensed version of events in the USMC History Division publication.

http://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmckorea/PDF_Monographs/KoreanWar.Battle-Barricades.pdf

A fuller account can be found in vol. ii of “US Marine Corps Operation in Korea 1950-53: The Inchon Seoul Operation” by Lynn Montross and Nicholas Canzona. Copies of this can be found used on Amazon etc. at reasonable prices.

When are you going to publish an article (maybe a whole campaign study) on historical research and the campaign/scenario analysis, I am dying (as the KPA) to know more!

I have no plans, at this time, to publish such a study. I think if you read the free download, I linked to, you will find it very informative, such that any article I wrote would provide little more light....and if you read Montross (easy read) you would be up to good mil. spec. The KPA info is gleaned from the footnotes and appendices to Montross, and then USMC AARs and Regimental Reports...tidbits like the WP and such.

Thank you for taking the time to post your questions.

Andy

Last edited:

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Quick reply is appreciated, so we can get started with 2nd date battles!

I still would be interested in your experience with design of the campaign game and some of the unique decisions made in the design.

Maybe something in the next LFT?

Jeff

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you would need to send me PM some "interview questions," as if you were reporter. This would be easier for me. Then, I think this could be worked up into an article we could both put our names on and yes we could submit that to LFT for when it fits their schedule. Maybe like "10 questions on FfS CG II." or what have you. Sort of like that 10 questions theme that was in vogue at one time....

(Also I have sent the above Q and A into LFT and they are working on getting that up on their website, so your questions can help others too. Thanks.)

Last edited:

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will be happy to take you up on the offer for the Q&A session (it fits with other items I have seen in LFT previously).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The reference to 21.5 and 21.3 in the Smith's Ridge KPA reinforcement chart seems off. Where should they be pointing as I can't see a section 21 in any of the rules sections. The same occurs in the Seoul KPA chart.

Found them, should be 16.5 and 16.3 respectively and 18.5 for Seoul. I assume this is left over from the time that the rules were one big book.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Questions on LFT Seoul Battle of the Barricades , CG Refit, section 11.618.

This section says for KPA to make DR on Weather Table. There is a Weather+EC Chart listing what conditions were for each day. Do I use the chart OR roll for Weather+EC using ASLRB?

Also refers to "See also 19.64." Where is 19.64 at??? Do not see it in CG rules, Seoul rules, or Chapters B and E.

Last line states +1 LV Hindrance in CG 1, but see it is CG 2. Assume it is a typo???

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More questions on Seoul CG2:

1--CG2 Permanent SSR P.1 says LV Hindrance in effect in each Daylight scenario after the first date, but 11.618 Weather+EC Chart has it in effect on Sept. 25 AM date (see Footnote ***) at start and ends automatically at start of turn 3---so is LV Hindrance in effect on Sept.25 AM date or is it not??? And assume it still in effect for all other dates after Sept. 25 AM???

2--CGSR CG1, Sustained Ground Attack--should the drm be -1 instead of +1??? If +1 seems scenario will end EARLIER.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Questions on LFT Seoul Battle of the Barricades , CG Refit, section 11.618.

This section says for KPA to make DR on Weather Table. There is a Weather+EC Chart listing what conditions were for each day. Do I use the chart OR roll for Weather+EC using ASLRB?

Also refers to "See also 19.64." Where is 19.64 at??? Do not see it in CG rules, Seoul rules, or Chapters B and E.

Last line states +1 LV Hindrance in CG 1, but see it is CG 2. Assume it is a typo???
The rules used yo be one big booklet that got split up. 19.64 will be either 13.64 or 15.64 depending on the CG.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Seoul CG2 question: for Initial Scenario does USMC Attack Chit count against their total of 5 for the whole CG?