FfS Q+A

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Mine just arrived. I thought this thread would come in handy.

Plus I wanted to show off.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I gotta wait....till I got the funds and till it reaches SCG in the UK.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sr CG UN purchase sheet.

FAC (A) references rule AA.9.3

Where is this rule?

***figured out its a misreference to W9. 13.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that shows you how long that has been in development rule "AA" was the design code for FW rules..."W" became the MMP assigned code, and some rules adjustment turned 9.3 into 9.13.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The rules reference using yellow dot marines for one regiment, regular marines for another and red dot marines for a third.

My single countersheet didn't have any red dot marines. It does however have no dot marines who I guess stand in for the red dot marines.

This makes sense if you have the game.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Why is the Seoul Map hexgrid printed in the opposite sense to the map text?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules reference using yellow dot marines for one regiment, regular marines for another and red dot marines for a third.

My single countersheet didn't have any red dot marines. It does however have no dot marines who I guess stand in for the red dot marines.

This makes sense if you have the game.
Can't explain that...here are samples from my proof set.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why is the Seoul Map hexgrid printed in the opposite sense to the map text?
1) When I hand drew the map I did not pay attention to having the A1 in the upper left corner it just didn't matter as far as making the map. After I drew the map I then laid out the scenarios...you know set up on hex CC14, or within four hexes of M45 whatever, and I began PT etc etc. Later I sent the map to Tuomo to begin to take real form. He scanned my original and went to work. We spotted this at some point, can't remember when. But I and I alone made the decision not realign the map, b/c it would mean redoing the scenarios, by now on cards, and the chance for errors to slip in.

2) Map text (EX: "Seoul Train Station") on "real maps" is aligned to be read with the map oriented north that was maintained here.

3) There is no effect of any of this on play.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) When I hand drew the map I did not pay attention to having the A1 in the upper left corner it just didn't matter as far as making the map. After I drew the map I then laid out the scenarios...you know set up on hex CC14, or within four hexes of M45 whatever, and I began PT etc etc. Later I sent the map to Tuomo to begin to take real form. He scanned my original and went to work. We spotted this at some point, can't remember when. But I and I alone made the decision not realign the map, b/c it would mean redoing the scenarios, by now on cards, and the chance for errors to slip in.

2) Map text (EX: "Seoul Train Station") on "real maps" is aligned to be read with the map oriented north that was maintained here.

3) There is no effect of any of this on play.
But we like blaming Tuomo for stuff ... ?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But we like blaming Tuomo for stuff ... ?
No that is not fair on him. He did pressure me, and I did not given in. I was too afraid of a transposition error/s, sure likely they would have been caught in due course, and everything would be fine. But I was still worried. Also as the Hulk (Closier) does the card layout, and this takes up time out of his day for this and does such a nice job, I couldn't bring myself to ask him to re-do 21 cards and the CG cards too. So blame me alone.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well. Andy is a mensch for taking responsibility, but I dimly recall feeling like we wouldn't have been in that mess if I hadn't messed something up along the way. Either I didn't raise the issue right off the bat or my effort to correct it didn't work in some way. Can't recall now, it was so long ago. But yeah, my bad.

I do recall it wasn't just a matter of flipping the hexgrid up/down and moving on - suddenly the hex IDs change position, which means a lot of building artwork suddenly overlays (or stops overlaying) the hex ID, which meant a lot of tweaking. And brother, those maps have a lot of little buildings.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, there is the point about the buildings likely getting gooned up too as Tuomo notes.

Anyways, it was my fault from the every initial "pencil" map which I drew. I was so focused on transferring aerial photo data, photos and 1:12K map data from those forms to the ASL hex grid that I did not pay attention to where A1 was from the start, and once I realized it, I was not going to redraw, ...all those buildings. But as I noted above, this is not a game breaker. It will cause Paul M. Weir's OCD to flare up a bit, but he can have an extra cigarette ration, I'll see he gets it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm not quite following the issue here....the map hex grid and the map text??? What has actually happened?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It will cause Paul M. Weir's OCD to flare up a bit, but he can have an extra cigarette ration, I'll see he gets it.
I suppose it will look strange and possibly a little irritating at first but I suspect I will barely notice it after a little while. The physical durability of and presence/absence of glossy glare from the map will be far more important to me, especially long term. Badly cut counters would be an entirely different matter, that would require my special calming mixture. Rage chewing said bad counters helps as well.