FfS Q+A

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not quite following the issue here....the map hex grid and the map text??? What has actually happened?
Any map text is oriented to the north NORTH (up), the map grid itself is the other way around, so Seoul Train Station will look like that, but its hex grid W45 will be upside down to a player holding the map oriented North....basically the USMC Player will see what I just described....the KPA will see Seoul Train Station upside down, but its hex W45 will appear perfect to him. Normally one player gets a perfect view...name and hex grid all look normal...while the other player sees things upside down. Follow now? It is a non-issue to play. Though unorthodox to normal layout.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Any map text is oriented to the north NORTH (up), the map grid itself is the other way around, so Seoul Train Station will look like that, but its hex grid W45 will be upside down to a player holding the map oriented North....basically the USMC Player will see what I just described....the KPA will see Seoul Train Station upside down, but its hex W45 will appear perfect to him. Normally one player gets a perfect view...name and hex grid all look normal...while the other player sees things upside down. Follow now? It is a none-issue to play. Though unorthodox to normal layout.
Yes I think so Andy. It is not a major issue IMO.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Is the Company OBA Module in the CGs treated as 8FP or as per US ordnance note, i.e. 4FP/40 hex range?

Edit, sorry, stupid question, its marked clearly in the CG rules.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is per US Ord.

60mm Lt Mt OBA is never 8FP...

8 FP is OBA which represent s 65mm artillery pieces like the French and Axis Minor have...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Follow up the CG rules make clear the 60s are as per the Ord. Note.

FFS CG8.0 USMC Company Mortar (60mmOBA): For the UN, subject to Daily/CG Limits, purchase of RG O1 will allot one Radio (Field Phone always NA) and one 60mm OBA module (as per US Ord. Note 1)....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Unless I am mistaken the Seoul city CG is 8 dates long. It says 11 dates on the card.

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, in my mind, I still think of Forgotten War as Chapter AA and need to correct myself that it is actually Chapter W.

Yes, that shows you how long that has been in development rule "AA" was the design code for FW rules..."W" became the MMP assigned code, and some rules adjustment turned 9.3 into 9.13.

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules reference using yellow dot marines for one regiment, regular marines for another and red dot marines for a third.

My single countersheet didn't have any red dot marines. It does however have no dot marines who I guess stand in for the red dot marines.

This makes sense if you have the game.
Mine are the same way. Have the yellow dots, but the other group is just plain. No red dots. Is that gonna cause problems with gameplay?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Minor point. Seoul rules 4.13 examples. The second example uses the wrong picture (it repeats the first example's picture) and the reference is to 6.1 as opposed to 4.1.

4.13 DUT & Map Edge: Neither the undepicted hexsides which lay off the map nor building artwork which might appear to lead off map edge can be used to establish DUT status.
EX: Seoul map: M1 may at first glance appear to be DUT. However, because the southern most hexside lies undepicted off the map, and because building artwork cannot be seen to fully extend across this missing hexside, a hex such as M1 is not DUT by virtue of the above.
EX: A hex such as Z0 is DUT because at least one of its on map hexsides meets the criterion of 6.1.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for point this out. I blame Xavier. ;) At one point, and for most of the project, I had all the rules in "one" booklet. Xavier thought it was too long and looked scary, and told me to divide it into the 3 you have. I did so, and in so doing the numbering sequence changed from booklet to booklet, and here I now enter the picture for blame, missed changing that cross-reference. Thank you for your attention to detail.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for point this out. I blame Xavier. ;) At one point, and for most of the project, I had all the rules in "one" booklet. Xavier thought it was too long and looked scary, and told me to divide it into the 3 you have. I did so, and in so doing the numbering sequence changed from booklet to booklet, and here I now enter the picture for blame, missed changing that cross-reference. Thank you for your attention to detail.
From my point o view, I think the splitting up was a good idea. The font used is quite lareg and if left in one booklet would ahve made it unweildy.
It;'s buggering up the nimbering in the easlrb though!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it was a good idea in the end, at the time I was not a happy camper as I had to split everything out. Then try to come up with a way to calm peoples' nerves as they got 3 rulebooks, and that is when I came up with the red asterisk to try and show you look at the overlap in rules.

I lobbied for bigger font since KGS days. The font in FFS is nice on the eye I think.

Sorry for the e-rule book troubles...1st world problem as they say, I still thumb through the parchment tome version.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The parchment is the only one, true, divine, revealed truth. All other forms are pale shadows of the original.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
5.131 example. the last sentence reads:
"An AFV moving on the I20 road is subject to Street Fighting were there to be an eligible enemy unit in J19 or in Crest status along the road side of the stream portion, ex one of the black hexside indicators of the Crest counter is the I20/JI9 hexside "
I assume the ex should be i.e.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
23.74 FACTORY: A Factory exists only by SSR, and represents any warehouse/machine shop type structure with high ceilings and large work bays lacking interior walls or subdivisions. A Factory is a 2½ level LOS obstacle if it has a printed stairwell, or a 1½ level LOS obstacle if it does not. In either case, it has no upper level floors—all occupants are at ground level [EXC: rooftops; 23.8].

2.12.3 Anglican Cathedral 20: Building K56 is treated as a Factory (B23.74 ) at Ground and Level 1 and has inherent stairwells in each hex to such Level 1 locations. In addition, within this building, LOS exists from all Ground to all Level 1 locations. There is also a Steeple location in K56, which can only be accessed from the Level 1 location of K56, and this is treated as a normal Steeple location for all purposes. This building has no Rooftop locations.

This one is not making sense. Either it is treated as a factory and this has not level 1 location or it is not. Does it mean that it is treated as a factory except it also has a level 1 location and there is always LOS from al level 1 locations to all ground level locations?