FFE C Conversion

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My opponent had an FFE C on the board, maintained radio contact and drew another black card. He wanted to change from an HE FFE (that had just been completed) to a new fire mission of smoke. I remember reading somewhere that if you want to continue to set off OBA in a FFE C hex with a new fire mission that you had to continue to use the same ammunition type (i.e. either HE or smoke). If you wanted to change the type of fire from HE to Smoke when the FFE C is on board than you had to first go back to a spotting round and then you could bring the smoke down. Howver, I can't find this anywhere in the rule book. Am I imagining things or does this rule really exist? Any help would be appreciated.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Anonymous said:
My opponent had an FFE C on the board, maintained radio contact and drew another black card. He wanted to change from an HE FFE (that had just been completed) to a new fire mission of smoke. I remember reading somewhere that if you want to continue to set off OBA in a FFE C hex with a new fire mission that you had to continue to use the same ammunition type (i.e. either HE or smoke). If you wanted to change the type of fire from HE to Smoke when the FFE C is on board than you had to first go back to a spotting round and then you could bring the smoke down. Howver, I can't find this anywhere in the rule book. Am I imagining things or does this rule really exist? Any help would be appreciated.
That rule don't exist as far as I do not remember seeing it. It is it's own mission, hence, can use different ammo/concentration (ie. harrassing fire).

Of course, ifn' you can find it in the book, I am not above being surprised....

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have an FFE:2 on board and want to change it from HE to SMOKE (or visa vers) then you have to cancel the mission and bring in a new one...

But this is a new fire mission. You're back on the radio saying "OK, that's perfect placement, now change to smoke and Fire for Effect".

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe these cover it.

C1.7 (Fire Missions): "Whenever a FFE:1 appears onboard, or when an SR is predesignated for conversion to a FFE ... the type of Fire Mission to be used (including whether Smoke of WP) must be announced immediately by its owner (before making any required Accuracy dr for it).

With a FFE:C on board, and regaining Battery Access, you may do the following per C1.342: "... [LOS constraints] ... he may Convert that FFE:C to a FFE:1 and leave it in that hex for resolution; ..."

Immediately when that FFE:1 is placed, then per C1.7 you may (must, actually) declare the type of Fire Mission. The Fire Mission types are listed in C1.7, in this example your opponent could declare HE Concentration, Harassing Fire, or SMOKE Concentration. The type of the previous Fire Mission has no bearing on which one may be declared for the next Fire Mission.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input. It is one of those times when too many rules are swirling in my head and I probably got another rule confused with three other rules. And Sam, thanks for nothing!!!!

Keith