Festung Budapest design question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

I am reading through the FB rules and came across this footnote:

"17.2. FB DEBRIS: ...Terrain features like brush and orchards can disappear under Debris and then "magically" reappear after a few successful Clearance DRs..."

This is because of these rules:

"2.6 TERRAIN: Falling Debris transforms any terrain it falls on into a Debris counter or Debris-WCB (2.62) counter that supersedes the existing terrain unless noted otherwise."

"2.7 CLEARANCE:
Debris may be cleared as if Fallen Rubble (B24.71) by making a successful Clearance (B24.7) attempt.... If every hexside of the Debris Location is crossed by a TB, the Debris and the TB counters are removed and any pre-existing terrain is re-established."

I am really curious why this was done. I find this very odd - especially with orchards. Is there some kind of design justification for this? Is it just to simplify the rules?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is it just to simplify the rules?
My guess would be this.
To avoid having to keep track of which brush/orchard/etc. hexes are really ex-Debris (and would probably Open Ground then).

I am also guessing that Fallen Debris will seldom be totally cleared away - in a CG, one usually have better things to do (again I am guessing).

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am also guessing that Fallen Debris will seldom be totally cleared away - in a CG, one usually have better things to do (again I am guessing).
I can see this being true.

Klas is correct (as usual). This was a concession to avoid further complexity.
I find this surprising though. I know FB already has a ton of SSR etc....but really what's 1 more LOL? (Not to be critical - just saying)...