Festung Budapest CGII 3.0 (Dennis Brothers)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wimp!!! I got 7 scenarios in before tossing in the towel as the Russians. The map was a sight to see. The terrain alterations made that lower corner of the board look like a moon scape. I tried everything I could think of. I even brought huge guns in and fired over open sites from Fortified Buildings. Other than flattening some buildings with the enemy in them, I was never able to really reach out and dent the defenses sufficiently to break through.
Well we played one day the last time I was Russian and 2 days I think when Neil was Russian.... I'm going to try to play more this time. I'm literally down to like 9 squads though... I have hurt him too, we are both a mess right now. and I don't htink we used the errata that limits the CPP rolls last times.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

I remember when this first game out, Gary Mei and Paul S. talking about CGII (I think it was them anyway). Gary posted his thoughts that it looked really hard on the Russians, even, showing a mock setup. Of course being the Forums there was a lot of jibber jabber back and fourth which was a fun read.

My buddy wanted to give it a try as the Russians. He does not frequent the forums, and I told him about the thread. He was unconcerned. He was in error.

This is the only time my FtF opponent (playing the Russians) failed his PMC. We quit after one day. I just do not know how it can be done. Clearly we are not the only ones missing something.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First of all Bill did a great job with the module overall. I love CG3, it's a blast. I played it three times. The flavor of tough SS/PzGr units degenerating into rabble due to ammo shortage/other penalties is pretty vivid.

However I agree with Honza that the initial scenario of CG1(and 2) is broken. I'm not familiar with recent errata but my suggestion is to widen the entry area to include the stone building on each side and maybe also give the russians an extra free OBO/pre-reg 80mm (for a smoke barrage). Then I'd give it a go.

One nasty aspect of the initial entry is that many attacker units will die for FTR if they see upper levels units on the opposite corners. I suggest considering an initial-scenario-SSR allowing units to rout towards units more than 5(?) hexes away.

Paul

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First of all Bill did a great job with the module overall. I love CG3, it's a blast. I played it three times. The flavor of tough SS/PzGr units degenerating into rabble due to ammo shortage/other penalties is pretty vivid.

However I agree with Honza that the initial scenario of CG1(and 2) is broken. I'm not familiar with recent errata but my suggestion is to widen the entry area to include the stone building on each side and maybe also give the russians an extra free OBO/pre-reg 80mm (for a smoke barrage). Then I'd give it a go.

One nasty aspect of the initial entry is that many attacker units will die for FTR if they see upper levels units on the opposite corners. I suggest considering an initial-scenario-SSR allowing units to rout towards units more than 5(?) hexes away.

Paul
In my case this time Paul, I was aware intimately about the FTR possibilities and didn't lose anyone because of needing to enter on the road, etc.

I've lost 50% just to mortars and high ROF weapons that I can't hide from...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we concluded the first scenario and this is what the border ended up being. Our final session was more and more death. KIA's and K's were normal, his 150mm OBA went nuts again and there are more shellholes around the Cog Railway.

Casualties were extremely high for both sides. The Russians ended up losing 62 CVP, 27 of which was in Infantry. The Germans lost 45 CVP, 25 of which was Infantry. We both usually do a much better job of keeping casualties down in CG's, but the middle turns were just extremely bloody. The Russians are down to a single immobilized T-34 in hex A29, 8-10 squads and perhaps 2 or 3 leaders. Germans have no tanks, around 20-25 squads and the at start guns with an extra big mortar thrown in.

Playing out this last turn went pretty much as we thought with his abandoned tank dying to me in G39 and my two HMG's burning up in the blaze in A30. Don't know really who came out on top in that. I think he did, those HMG's will be missed.

My purchases are done and the critical decision of a night counterattack or not has been made. Just got to wait for Steve to make his purchases and then we can see if hes on the defensive or not.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We will be setting up an Axis night counterattack, hopefully on the holiday Monday. My decision to attack despite my heavier than normal losses comes down to the 5 extra CPP and the allowance to buy three companies (in reserve of course). This should get me enough infantry on the board so that a breakthrough on Day 3 for him is harder and should allow the usage of some of day 3's CPP on OBA since he should still be stuck in the corner of the map.

I'm pretty sure the Russian tank that is immobilized in A29 is hearing the sound of guns and PF's being moved into his area. His death should provide the CVP for me to get the win and avoid the penalty for losing the CG day. The tanks CVP will make it so I don't have to get too aggressive with capturing territory since I can just win the day by CVP and not stone locations.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
An interesting read. I’m playing CG II as the Russian, and have just completed the 26th Jan scenario. Of the eight CG scenarios played, two were Idle, four were Axis victories, and two (including the latest one) were Russian victories. In the initial scenario, I lost half my infantry and five out of six tanks. I bought more tanks and infantry, including the precious flamethrower tanks, and achieved precisely nothing in terms of ground captured. So I changed tactics, ditched the tank purchases, and invested heavily in 150 mm OBA and HW Pltns, led by a 10-3 leader. As my opponent had bought all the Militia he could get, his troops died in droves under my superior firepower in the latest scenario, and I finally expanded my bridgehead. As the entry area and the CPP both double in size in the next CG day, he is going to be seriously stretched, and I hope to make further inroads into the city. Still don’t think I can win - I’ve got to take most of the city in the seven remaining CG days - but at least I feel the game has evened up somewhat.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yes. I won't say who my opponent is because he's a big-headed swine :D. But his Russians are doing a very good job now of cutting through my Axis troops like a knife through butter. Although I've only really exposed my low quality human offal at this stage.

Very 'Russian' in the sense of learning quickly from his earlier experiences.

I'm finding it an enjoyable experience on the whole. Perhaps I was enjoying it more when I was swatting T34s and pesky Commies for shits n' kicks. But, in the grand scheme, I'm enjoying seeing how it's all developing and trying to take my punishment like a man.

I'm suffering slightly from something I suffer in most large campaigns...I'll call it MLCF (Mayersy's Long Campaign Fatigue). Where it's all becoming a little bit 'samey' and a bit boring. Although in fairness to my intrepid opponent part of this has been alleviated now that he's 'on the move'.

Win or lose I will say it does feel hard on the Russians. But, that said, they do have high quality troops and equipment in this one.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One thing I forgot to suggest : the Russians should buy ‘planes every chance they get, and use them to mercilessly persecute any Axis Gun that reveals itself. Also, I bought some guns of my own, to target his on the big hill. Fortification points to buy trenches can be useful to lessen the approach march casualties. But the most important thing the Russian player needs, is a cast-iron constitution to enable him/her to pass all those PMCs that will be needed as the CVP mount.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I agree about the planes.... but it's night for us AND he rolled overcast weather which means it will likely stay overcast for a while....

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got in a turn and a half Monday, amid some suspect wine choices by both of us. I picked a Portuguese Duoro for the first time ever and I wasn't a fan, I liked his French GSM better and he liked the Duoro better than the GSM.

As I had hoped the immobilized T-34/85 dies to a gun that I set up with the express purpose of killing it. I set up two guns to do the job and ended up needing both, as the 76 ART in A27 couldn't penetrate even the rear armor of the tank. The recently purchased Pak 40 that I put in B27 finished the job and luckily didn't burn it even on a side shot. The crew hopped out but was quickly killed by a DC toting half squad. A bit of a waste of a DC but I needed the CVP to make sure I win the day.

Other than the tank kill, a couple double breaks (one each way) and a CC win by Steve, not much death so far. We are sitting at 8 CVP Russian dead vs 3 CVP Axis dead. I've pulled back and essentially the attack is over for my purposes. I do have a 36FP overwatch death star in L33.2 (led by my recently promoted Hungarian 9-2) that got me my double break. I purchased a SS HW platoon that got me two IR capable mortars that have done a great job lighting up his area so far, this also got me two German HMG's to allow my assembly of the 36FP killstack after some trading of weapons to get them all into Hungarian hands. If he gets too frisky the 36 hopefully will stop any major attacks. Besides the SS HW Platoon (4 GCPP), 1 Fortification (1 GCPP) and the Pak 40's (2 SCPP); Steve has no knowledge of what I bought, although several companies of infantry were obviously bought in Reserve.

His purchases so far seen are a gun platoon, unknown type (I'd guess 76 ART or 122 ART) since they refuse to fire.........they are sitting in the streets (presumably in Trenches since they can't be emplaced there; hence not HIP) and an Infantry company of some sorts, I assume the cheap-o SMG company. That should leave quite a few points out there, 5 GCPP for the company, 1 GCPP for the FPP for the trenches, 2 SCPP for the guns. I'd guess hes sitting on 2 or 3 GCPP and 1 SCPP. He has not entered very much from off board yet. So maybe a T-34/85 tank platoon entered late to get all three SCPP bonus points for tomorrow? Whatever the surprise is plus the rest of the Infantry company.

Below is the overall situation. The black counters are my cloaking counters.

A close up view of the only battle we really both want to participate in, the lingering battle for the rubble that was building A30. Currently every player turn, whoever is moving steps a sacrificial lamb into the approach hex with the burnt out wreck in A31 and every turn that lamb dies or runs away in the advance phase. Currently I hold A31, but its Steve's turn.

Further in the backfield. The Japanese counters are my reserves.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got in another couple of turns yesterday. Germans luck was horrible for a majority of the day, however starshell and IR placement still has been very good and a critical 3KIA in hex G39 from the overwatch 36FP 9-2 led stack killed a squad and a half and took out a DC as well. The 36FP stack is now a 30FP stack however after one of the Hungarian HMG's X'd out.

The battle for A30 is pretty much over, He's confined to his block across the wire and I'm confined to my block on the opposite side. I currently hold the A31 hex and its gonna be tough for him to kick me out now with over half his squads broken in his block. I expect some of his remaining guys to enter here to prevent me advancing any further, I outnumber him in good order squads pretty badly in this sector now.

The railway battle is below. He's made some limited progress with a concealed counter getting to E34, He's got minefield issues in front of him and two squads in the trench located at F33 though.

The Board Edge, he keeps feeding troops into this front and I keep fighting them back cycling fresh cloaking counters forward, although I'm almost out of them at this point. The overwatch 30FP hex in L33 has been helping to hold this front.

Axis have still only lost 3 CVP (all infantry). Russians have lost 20 CVP (12 in armor and 8 in infantry.) Steve brought on a lone SU-76 that died in his first movement phase on board in D35 to another hidden Pak 40 that popped up in D26. An interesting purchase, he said he bought them instead of the T-34's because they stay around, but open topped and all of these mortars would scare me away. He's got at least one more to enter (maybe 2) plus I'd guess 3-5 squads left in his SMG company.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still trying to figure this puzzle out... there is just nowhere to hide or regroup even at night if the lights keep popping on in optimal places...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this thread can now die as well. Steve conceded on German turn #6 on day #2. I finally had some pretty good luck with my 30FP 9-2 led stack in L33.2, going on a rate tear in the Russian 5th defensive fire and the German 6th turn prep fire. This stack was simply KIA'ing squads across the board. Then in the movement phase i was able to drop a DC onto the last defense he had on the Russian right, a squad and a 8-1 leader under the bridge in G38. The result was a snake-eyes. Steve then called a stop to it. In these two phases my guys outright killed 6 squads, wounded one leader/killed another and another 1/2 squad was also about to die because it had to withdraw from Melee. There is nowhere to hide in this corner.

The Russians had 5 squads alive on the board to go with three guns (one crew of the forward gun was broken however) and a single Su-76 that was hiding in A37. I think he said he had 4 squads left to enter and another Su-76. I had around 20 squads (all in good order) plus the kill stack, multiple guns and a ton of reserves for the next day. He would've been facing at least 4-1 or 5-1 odds in the next scenario and I can buy OBA starting tomorrow as well. Before this scenario was over I probably would've been able to push into the B31-C32 area.

This was our third playing of CGII and we apparently just are not good enough/smart enough to understand this CG from the Russian perspective. We are taking a look at Green Hell of Inor CG3 to possibly play next, but might take a break for a few weeks before starting.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still would like Bret or someone who playtested this one to explain it to me. If the Axis makes the "sensible" buys, the Russian needs either excessively good luck or the Axis has to suffer excessively bad luck....

I think CG I and CG II are hosed.... it's unfortunate.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I still would like Bret or someone who playtested this one to explain it to me. If the Axis makes the "sensible" buys, the Russian needs either excessively good luck or the Axis has to suffer excessively bad luck....

I think CG I and CG II are hosed.... it's unfortunate.
CGII seems outrageously harsh on the Russians. I think they could have done worse than doing away with the -2 leader mod for the Vannays...I secured 9-2 leaders for three of those units and by the end I had -2s dotted around all over the board. Too many leaders I think.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We’re about to set up CG III, which has the Russians already on board, and it strikes me that the Russians in CG I & II could benefit from something similar if those campaigns started a day later. Assuming someone knows what the historical perimeter was for that day, of course ...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CGII seems outrageously harsh on the Russians. I think they could have done worse than doing away with the -2 leader mod for the Vannays...I secured 9-2 leaders for three of those units and by the end I had -2s dotted around all over the board. Too many leaders I think.
It's not the leaders to me. I don't think in any of our 3 playings now Neil or I had excessive leadership, he had to BH to get his ONE this time.
If you buy the heavy weapons, setup mortars way back on the hill where they can see EVERYTHING, a few guns to keep the tanks off you and it works every time. Mortars way back on the hill can see almost all of the buildings in the setup/entry area. If the Russian uses smoke it better be right on top of where you want it or those same mortars can see OVER it.
If the Russian attacks one side or the other, a single squad in A30 L1 or L39 or N39 will start killing people for FTR or not allow them to rout...

Throw in a few mines and wire.... still waiting to see how the Russians got on board in playtest or other playings. Did the Axis player not play what we consider to be the standard 99% defense?