Female ASL players

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
Diane does not and will never play ASL....she is a woman!!!! She won't even visit the hotel. Her reasoning has nothing to do with gender, however, she just doesn't enjoy the odor that permeates a room full of middle aged men after a few days.....

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again, Mike, try to read (and understand, if possible), Darryl's original query. If you want to politicize or make a politically correct statement about women, their interests, etc.; submit an article to Glamour or Elle. Or even create a new thread. If however, you are just trying to "score points" with women, try to understand that they are not reading an ASL thread on gamesquad. Sometimes a declaritive statement does not need support, it's a declaration (look up the meaning), Websters if Wiki not available. The sun is in the sky....a declaration...do I need to "prove" this?????
I have no idea where the hostility and general sh!t attitude is coming from.

Ask a women to play, or ask why she doesn't want to. A bunch of men making up statistics and speaking for them on the internet is about the stupidest damn thing I can imagine.

And since you have so much of my intelligence, I feel compelled to point out that if you went to "Websters if Wiki not available" you might have noticed that
"declaritive" is actually spelled "declarative".

Gentlemen, I leave you to your pontificating.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They do however like guns: image.jpeg

Last edited:

samwat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you back that stat up? In northern Ohio universities, including Ohio State, that percentage is way out of whack. Again, I am referring to military/war history.
I'm referring to history in general. Ohio State has a lot more than military history. I'm not arguing politics or anything, just that if one looks in history classes, grad or udnergrad, you'll find much more balance than you had as an undergrad. Few women in mily history courses, true, but plenty in other history courses, including political history courses and period surveys (which still often have a lot of politics).

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam, I concur wholeheartedly. Many women in courses of all genres. I was strictly speaking to Darryl's original post on females playing ASL. Not on females interested in history or any other subject. (Thus, I did amend my original post).

Mike,
I apologize for any comment I made that you took personally. You seem a reasonable intelligent fellow, (one would only expect this from someone who plays such a complicated game). Good catch, BTW, on the spelling error. I have asked many women over the course of many years why they don't have an interest in ASL. Having five sisters and more female friends than male ones, the subject has come up. Usually initiated by them as in: "How can you pass up this or that show to play a silly game." I go to a lot of concerts and live theater productions with Diane and other females as at my age it doesn't seem my male counterparts have the desire or energy. Women always seem to make time to have fun.
Again, sorry if I offended. Maybe we will meet some day and I can offer you a libation.

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sam, I concur wholeheartedly. Many women in courses of all genres. I was strictly speaking to Darryl's original post on females playing ASL. Not on females interested in history or any other subject. (Thus, I did amend my original post).

Mike,
I apologize for any comment I made that you took personally. You seem a reasonable intelligent fellow, (one would only expect this from someone who plays such a complicated game). Good catch, BTW, on the spelling error. I have asked many women over the course of many years why they don't have an interest in ASL. Having five sisters and more female friends than male ones, the subject has come up. Usually initiated by them as in: "How can you pass up this or that show to play a silly game." I go to a lot of concerts and live theater productions with Diane and other females as at my age it doesn't seem my male counterparts have the desire or energy. Women always seem to make time to have fun.
Again, sorry if I offended. Maybe we will meet some day and I can offer you a libation.
Christ on a cracker!

A gentlemen and a scholar.

The drinks are on me, sir.

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LMAO. Well I didn't quite expect this thread to generate such emotion. As usual I was drunk when I started this thread and had been watching American Ninja Warrior, which has some top notch female competitors. I think of ASL when I see something competitive and just went to females playing ASL.

Personally I agree with Dave, it's not something that interests the vast majority of females. I'm talking the nitty gritty VFTT that ASL represents. When I'm at the library I don't see any women browsing through the military sections. Check a list of the top 100 books on war, the detailed " I threw a grenade into the bunker " kind of material and see how many of the authors are female. That would give some hints as to interest.

Growing up I never saw girls playing Broadside, Dogfight, Risk or even Stratego. Chess, there were a few but not many and not one girl in my HS even showed up for chess. Although the Rifle Team had a couple. ( how many schools have rifle teams these days? )

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a nice 12 year old Chateau Magriette ready upon your arrival...most of my wine is from Bourdeaux.

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a nice 12 year old Chateau Magriette ready upon your arrival...most of my wine is from Bourdeaux.
Thanks Dave but save it for someone who can appreciate it. I'm quite satisfied with a cheap, and I mean < $5.00, California red. Thanks though!

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LMAO Most of mine probably comes from large storage tanks.

On " James May's Road Trip California ( I think Big Wine Adventure " for our British friends ) he went to the winery where " Two Buck Chuck " was made. The place looked like an oil refinery, the storage tanks were enormous. It was heaven.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And Ron, who cares about the demographics showing a percentage of the population interested in "niche" anything? We are talking about females in ASL. Comparing percentages of the whole against percentages of the interested has nothing to do with the topic.
Geez, have any of you been to a debate or participated in one. And I don't mean the excuse of a debate by politicos. These are not debates. Debates are when two opposing viewpoints are presented backed by "actual" facts.
David,
Its Jon, not Ron, I am sorry your anger management issues prevent you from reading.

If you begin a debate by asking for others to present " facts" - do not be surprised when they begin to do just that. Remember that "fact", like "truth", "Purpose" "design", and "rhetoric" are all difficult terms to ascertain a definition that suits all, or even most. You might recall those words are a bit vague if you "actually" took part in or participated in any real debate, not the generalized "squishy warm fuzzy" debates that occur on the internet because "OMG somebody is WRONG!!! Now I got to go and throw a hissy fit!" As if doing that ever resolved any real "debate".

It is not my task to provide you with all the requisite footwork to support my deferment and / or disagreement of your blanket statements (which you made by the way, without any shred of "actual proof". ( that is what you called it, right?)) you obviously have a mouse, a keyboard, an internet connection and are intelligent enough to use all three to suit your own desires / whims/ fancy/ needs / wants. By all means, enjoy yourself doing so, or not.

It is not on me to do anything because you desire it, because you think it is necessary, or because you feel everyone should be playing by "your rules". That's on you. I will think,do,act,choose,and participate based on what my preferences are, not what you desire them to be.

If I act as a receptionist for your verbal aggression then wonderful, I was glad to be of assistance. Be well prepared to receive it back in turn.

KRL, Jon H

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have been surprised how many ladies love wargames and games in general. I have been going to different types of gaming weekends for years and it has always been 80% males at least BUT in my own survey I would suggest it depends on the aspect of the game highlighted

for example

Warhammer 40k in the UK 150 at the tournament 2 ladies
Warhammer campaign game with custom armies and a dialogoue with no 'winner' at the end 45 people 11 ladies

Xwing miniatures Tournamanet 111 guys no ladies
Xwing miniatures CG with narrative 76 guys 8 ladies

Comicon in Londonsteam punk roleplaying 50/50
comicon Twilight imperium games 70/30

So as someone with a background in sales and marketing I am sure if the game was talked about and used at the right events we could get more players

as a side note I have met 3 new players in london recently who have played SK and now got the ASL bug all under 40 so the future is brighter in some ways

maybe we need a ladies starter kit?

:D

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ordinarily, you and I are on the same page, but... uh, what?

Nevermind, don't explain.

For everyone else, go ask a lady to play. (And then please post the result...)
I asked a lady to play and she said to me who do you think you are going to 'please' with that?

I replied ME!

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked a lady to play and she said to me who do you think you are going to 'please' with that?

I replied ME!
So you didn't get a chance to HOB in her Fortifications? (I am absolute crap at ASL innuendo).

My wife just says "no". But she loves X-Wing.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon,
My apologies for getting the name wrong. (Short term memory loss, Darryl will know my meaning).
However, I am confused as to what you are actually saying in your last post as in regards to Darryl's original question. I believe the title of the thread was "Female ASL players". The question being: why aren't there more/any.
Various answers to this question referred to women in history programs, women in other games, asking women to play, percentages of the population in regards to percent of said population of certain age groups and those playing ASL. All very nice topics but all unrelated to the "original" question.
Sorry if you took this as "anger" or a "hissy fit", (I am a little too old for that). I was merely trying to get back on track to the original question.
As I mentioned to Mike (from Tuscon), I have never used any facts to back up anything because my original "declaration" was that women are just not into ASL. Declarations are just that, opining. No need to back it up. Just a 40 year observation in regards to ASL, only. Mike seemed to understand that, I hope you do as well.

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon,
My apologies for getting the name wrong. (Short term memory loss, Darryl will know my meaning).
However, I am confused as to what you are actually saying in your last post as in regards to Darryl's original question. I believe the title of the thread was "Female ASL players". The question being: why aren't there more/any.
Various answers to this question referred to women in history programs, women in other games, asking women to play, percentages of the population in regards to percent of said population of certain age groups and those playing ASL. All very nice topics but all unrelated to the "original" question.
Sorry if you took this as "anger" or a "hissy fit", (I am a little too old for that). I was merely trying to get back on track to the original question.
As I mentioned to Mike (from Tuscon), I have never used any facts to back up anything because my original "declaration" was that women are just not into ASL. Declarations are just that, opining. No need to back it up. Just a 40 year observation in regards to ASL, only. Mike seemed to understand that, I hope you do as well.
I work on my STML every day but I still remember sh!t all the time. Guess I just have to keep the nose to the grindstone. ( will that redeem us, Uncle Remus? ) That one is an inside joke for AZ Slim.

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally Posted by davegin
Thanks Dave but save it for someone who can appreciate it. I'm quite satisfied with a cheap, and I mean < $5.00, California red. Thanks though!

Dave I appreciate Bourdeaux, and I'll be at ASLOK. :D :drink:

daniel

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was introduced to ASL by a husband and wife back in the early 90s. The husband had played since SL was released and had taught ASL to his wife. For the longest time, before I came along, she was his only opponent. I think she initially agreed to play because she was enamored with her husband and his interests. When he grew tired of ASL and quit playing around '93, so did she I believe. She played other wargames with him too such as Advanced Third Reich.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Daniel,
If you come in early, the bordeaux will be flowing at the picnic the first Sunday....along with some incredible eats....