Female ASL players

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be fair, Bob, history studies of various cultures and social movements are not necessarily "leftist" or "propaganda. Different seas float different boats. I would never begrudge anyone from pursuing a course in historical studies even if it was contrary to my thinking and/or liking. To each his own. I am sure that all seven of these women are passionate about the various histories they pursue, as well as being certain that they are not alone. Not everything is left or right. Sometimes things just are.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be fair, Bob, history studies of various cultures and social movements are not necessarily "leftist" or "propaganda. Different seas float different boats. I would never begrudge anyone from pursuing a course in historical studies even if it was contrary to my thinking and/or liking. To each his own. I am sure that all seven of these women are passionate about the various histories they pursue, as well as being certain that they are not alone. Not everything is left or right. Sometimes things just are.
Bull$hit

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, Bob, what "IS" frickin hilarious is that one of our comrades would use this post as an example of what we were talking about. Obviously lacking in debate skills.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not 'historical studies' it's 'Military Warfare Society'. Which btw, is exactly what it is not.

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frick'in hilarious, they turned history of warfare into a bunch of kooky leftist weirdisms. How can they do this with a straight face? They have completely lost it in their Fervor for insane propaganda. OMG, what a bunch of idiot losers.
What do you imagine that war historians study? Warfare impacts far more than the actual combatants and their home nations. I think a case could probably be made that war has totally shaped just about every aspect of our lives.

Read about the Montford Point Marines, or the The Color of War, or hell, go with Rosie the Riveter. Lots of great historical study has been about the home front, or the conditions leading up to the war or the time after.

To reduce that study to "lefty" seems strange to me. There is a lot more to it than who invaded who, who shot who, who left screaming.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I think the biggest reason there aren't more women playing ASL is that there aren't more women playing ASL. :D
Interest and education aside, I think the majority of players, myself included, are getting into our late forties, early fifties or later. Women at that age are more likely than not to be married, and I can see where some of those husbands, barring an interest themselves, wouldn't be too keen on their wives hanging with a bunch of guys all the time. They're also less likely to have the same amount of "hobby time" as their male counterparts. And maybe most germane, women at that point in their lives tend to have more female-centric social circles. These are generalities of course. There are always exceptions.

As I recall, growing up in the 70's and early 80's, I didn't see a whole bunch of girls hanging out at the hobby shops or the game store when Squad Leader and ASL hit the shelves for the first time, either. So from that POV, nothing has really changed in the demographic of ASL players. Now if you could get some more women to play, you might get some younger ladies interested where it could snowball a little, but I really don't see that happening.

Regards,
Jeff

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's true though. Who is going to buy a book about the socio political economic effects of diversity in Hoth's attempt to relieve the 6th army? Of course the is a place for all these 'frivolous' studies but they are subset in the overall story of warfare.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Twenty years ago, when we were in our thirties, there were no more women playing ASL.
Perhaps the black leather SS fetishism fits gay people better than women, too?

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Twenty years ago, when we were in our thirties, there were no more women playing ASL.
Perhaps the black leather SS fetishism fits gay people better than women, too?
Ordinarily, you and I are on the same page, but... uh, what?

Nevermind, don't explain.

For everyone else, go ask a lady to play. (And then please post the result...)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I think the biggest reason there aren't more women playing ASL is that there aren't more women playing ASL. :D
Interest and education aside, I think the majority of players, myself included, are getting into our late forties, early fifties or later. Women at that age are more likely than not to be married, and I can see where some of those husbands, barring an interest themselves, wouldn't be too keen on their wives hanging with a bunch of guys all the time. They're also less likely to have the same amount of "hobby time" as their male counterparts. And maybe most germane, women at that point in their lives tend to have more female-centric social circles. These are generalities of course. There are always exceptions.

As I recall, growing up in the 70's and early 80's, I didn't see a whole bunch of girls hanging out at the hobby shops or the game store when Squad Leader and ASL hit the shelves for the first time, either. So from that POV, nothing has really changed in the demographic of ASL players. Now if you could get some more women to play, you might get some younger ladies interested where it could snowball a little, but I really don't see that happening.

Regards,
Jeff
well, considering that even our present U.S. demographic generation musters around 200 million +/- and roughly 45% males in the 35-65 age grouping, that means that of the 90 million males in that demographic, only less than 5,000 play ASL at all, perhaps double that that ever have played SL or ASL ever in their entire lives. so 10,000 of 90 million is quite a niche, one might think.

We can even be gracious and estimate that perhaps 50,000 total of that 90 million demographic have an interest or ever did in board conflict simulation wargaming designs that use maps, counters and randomizers to represent battlefield actions.

Still a HUGE niche market.

exactly how many of the roughly 110 million women in that same demographic did you EXPECT would be drawn to simulating battle conflicts via maps, counters , detailed rules and random number generation devices?

And how many of those still further drawn to ASL?

How many of that 90 million male demographic are drawn to participating in quilting clubs and selling girl scout cookies?

Okay, well I sold girl scout cookies with my granddaughter for the first time this year. That's with 3 daughters and 9 granddaughters, all girl scouts, and I only got involved once in selling those damnable cookies.

debating the "why" is a moot point. If you want more women in ASL take Mike's advice and simply ask some of them to join you in playing ASL.

My wife found she enjoyed Storm Over Arnhem because I asked her to play it, and the rules were simple to understand. She would take on any one in a game of it nowadays, thoroughly enjoying the game itself, and its mechanics, even if the SS units are printed on large black counters. ;)

None of which is directed at Jeff's commentary , rather building upon it.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've missed Ginnard these last fews years!!! Glad I'm going to be there this year to just talk and BS with Dave again!!!

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike,
You seem to want to go off topic of the OP in trying to infuse women into "war" history. We are talking about ASL. WWII tactical, historical combat.
When playing or studying the tactics, strategy, and mechanics of WWII combat, we are not looking at after effect on society or the whys and whatnots of the causes behind the actions. We are simply looking at the actions.
Rosie the Riveter has no bearing on what is displayed or enacted in an ASL engagement. ASL is interested in the troops involved, the terrain on which actions occurred, the tactics which won or lost a battle. All this in the confines of a limited time frame with limited objectives. We are not concerned about the geopolitical effects of the battle, only the battle itself.
Therefore, I return to my original point. Women are, by far, never interested in the actual warfare itself, of which ASL is immersed. Whether there is a female interest in the cultural, social, political, and whatever effects of war is not part and parcel to the question of the post.
As far as all the wives and GFs out there who may have, at one time or the other, sat down and tried to play ASL with their BFs and/or hubbies, I don't count this as interest. I mean how many of us men have had to sit in the waiting area of a clothing store or has to suffer through a "chick" flick just to share time with the fairer sex? It's what you do when you care for someone.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And Ron, who cares about the demographics showing a percentage of the population interested in "niche" anything? We are talking about females in ASL. Comparing percentages of the whole against percentages of the interested has nothing to do with the topic.
Geez, have any of you been to a debate or participated in one. And I don't mean the excuse of a debate by politicos. These are not debates. Debates are when two opposing viewpoints are presented backed by "actual" facts.

badpiper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to be sexist, but just to be realistic: The female gender is not nor ever has been interested in history or war.
You made a declarative statement with absolutely no facts, statistics, not even an anecdote to back up your claim.

I provided many examples of women who are interested in history and war, and you then you proceeded to narrow your definition of 'war and history' to some kind of allegory about a board game.

The above statement is categorically, blatantly, false (and despite your appeal to "realism", sexist). Your broader claim that women are not concerned or interested in the minutia of battle remains to be proven and or supported by further evidence. Ideally, such evidence should be provided by the one making the claim.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But it's true and you know it. Girls are less interested in the history of warfare than guys are. If you think differently you must be on a different planet.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again, Mike, try to read (and understand, if possible), Darryl's original query. If you want to politicize or make a politically correct statement about women, their interests, etc.; submit an article to Glamour or Elle. Or even create a new thread. If however, you are just trying to "score points" with women, try to understand that they are not reading an ASL thread on gamesquad. Sometimes a declaritive statement does not need support, it's a declaration (look up the meaning), Websters if Wiki not available. The sun is in the sky....a declaration...do I need to "prove" this?????