Feature to allow the mapboards to be rotated?

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, I'm on a roll. I am fortunate to have a rotating monitor - so in a way I can already do this. But being able to rotate the mapboards (through 90, 180 or 270 deg) on the playing screen (independently for each player) would be wonderful enhancement. I am assuming that the data model for the mapboards and counters is independent of the "views" that are presented to the users.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This has been proposed (rightly) many times.

As far as I understand, however, it would be a MAJOR issue to pull off.
At least that's what I collected from the responses of the savvy ones in the know.

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Leveraging the fact that most screens are wider than tall would benefit some scenarios. And it's certainly a nice piece of chrome, but most of the time it just seems to me a hangup with trying to stay true to the way players would sit at the table when they are attacking north->south, or whatnot. But maybe I've missed some more common use-cases (other than making the hex IDs appear at the top of boards and that's also fixable with the current tools).

I think the bulk of the effort would be (or should be) in the VASSAL engine so that some counters stay true (e.g. Roadblocks, Crest, etc) while others stay absolute (like squads).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
TTS has 360 degree rotation in every direction

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If there were a possibility to rotate the map, there should be one to rotate the counters in the opposite direction, so you still can read them without craning your neck.
But Guns and vehicles should follow the movement of the map, as they must keep their CA.

zcrater

Reaction score
First name
Zeke
Country
llUnited States
It may only be me, but I do not like attacking in ASL left to right or right to left. In ASL I prefer to attack "up." Sort of like playing chess. I do not like playing chess left to right or right to left. I prefer to play chess attacking "away" from me. That is why I have always dreamed of being able to rotate the VASL maps, so I do not have to attack left to right or right to left. Being able to dynamically rotate the VASL maps during the game would certainly do the trick, but my desire would be met if the VASL maps could only be rotated at map selection.

Zeke

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Some people love to play with Tabletop Simulator because of this, among other things that they can do. I would probably still play VASL even if they rotated all the counters upside down.