Feature suggestion for hull/turret hit notification

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm terrible at remembering hull/turret hits. Would it be useful to add a hull/turret hit notification to the TH roll result? And clearly if it's not a VTT shot then it just gets ignored by the players. I know it also shows up in the scrolling info window, but I never look at it while playing. It's hidden away to maximize real estate.

Anyhoo...just a thought.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm terrible at remembering hull/turret hits. Would it be useful to add a hull/turret hit notification to the TH roll result? And clearly if it's not a VTT shot then it just gets ignored by the players. I know it also shows up in the scrolling info window, but I never look at it while playing. It's hidden away to maximize real estate.

Anyhoo...just a thought.

View attachment 17248
That’s a hull hit. I say NO, AI is making us stupid.

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The days when we knew all phone numbers of friends and relatives by heart are long over.
There’s no way you can stop AI, so why not put it to good use?

Anything to help us play a better game is a good addition to the system, so I second this proposal.

I’m sure AI will one day be a worthy ASL opponent / teacher / ...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Note that he is referring to duplicating the information in the chat window to the dice roll pop up, not adding something that isn’t there already. I think it’s just a matter of space.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the SAN reminder make us stupid? Not really. 😁

And it's not AI making decisions for us, it's just a label reminder. I dunno, maybe a minority of players use the dice over map feature? I always assumed the majority used it.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I know it also shows up in the scrolling info window, but I never look at it while playing. It's hidden away to maximize real estate.
There's your problem. Easy fix is to not ignore the window that provides you with vital ongoing information. :)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Anyhoo...just a thought.

View attachment 17248
Information is already there in the chat window.

VASL developers have better things to be working on instead of duplicating presented information.

That is a hull hit anyhow.....

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Information is already there in the chat window.

VASL developers have better things to be working on instead of duplicating presented information.

That is a hull hit anyhow.....
You know what I meant. 😁

So why have a SAN reminder? That's just duplicated information.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
What I do is reduce the chat window to a small ribbon across the top of the screen, just large enough to see it if needed. It doesn't interfere with the overall screen view.
If you go with non-combined windows, you can even have it behind the map! :)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
You know what I meant. 😁

So why have a SAN reminder? That's just duplicated information.
The SAN reminder is in the same place as the Hull/Turret call out.

No, I really am not sure what you meant. Mayhaps I am dull? Not the worst thing that has been said about me.....

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The SAN reminder is in the same place as the Hull/Turret call out.

No, I really am not sure what you meant. Mayhaps I am dull? Not the worst thing that has been said about me.....
Some people play with the "Dice over map" feature and without the chat window. They have a SAN reminder there, but no hull/turret reminder.

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Anyhoo...just a thought.

View attachment 17248
I think so - especially handy for your excellent YouTube video AARs to make things clearer. It can always be a feature that defaults to 'off' so as to not offend the sensibilities of the naysayers.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people play with the "Dice over map" feature and without the chat window. They have a SAN reminder there, but no hull/turret reminder.
Exactly this. The only time I even pop open the chat window is if I write out dice stats.