Fear of Commitment

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm afraid to like the new Forum layout because in two months, it'll change.

Edit - actually, I see a reason to not like the new layout. With 13 sub-forums all mashed together, you only get to see the latest comment in one of those 13 (on the right side of your screen). With the previous arrangement, you got to see, what, 7 or 8? It made it easier to browse from the main screen.

Starting to think the Gamesquad admin is something like the Cleveland Browns. Whatever they do, they're guaranteed to screw it up.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
More unnecessary modifications purely for the sake of modification.
Actually, not really the case.

The new Forum software was implemented in response to a wave of spam that was assaulting the Forums.

Instead of the moderators having to clean 70-80 spam messages/users each day, we only have to clean 3-5 every 2-3 days.

Others have tried to start their own forums (Pittman) and they were eventually buried in spam to the point of uselessness.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, not really the case.

The new Forum software was implemented in response to a wave of spam that was assaulting the Forums.
How does that translate to moving the sub-forums around like we've been seeing? I don't think it should. Which makes me start to agree with Yuri. If I had access to the controls and could mess with the Forum layout, how often would I do it? Probably more often than I should.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If you ask me, I was content with the layout and functionality of the forum already 5, 6, 7 (?) years ago. Some updates have created serious havoc (all the old pics having been lost being the one with the most impact as it has made lots of old posts useless that were previously used as a reference).

On the other hand, I understand that some updates are necessary - for pure technical reasons or for more ease of maintenance.

As a bottom line, I am *very* grateful that the forum is there - (potentially for free) - and that there are people dedicated to keep it running. It is one of the best resources for ASL out there.

As so often, the ones that pay and do the work decide. This is Don's show. Even if I am a friend of a "never change a running system" approach beyond the unavoidable changes, I accept changes he makes. Much much better as if the forum weren't there.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
How does that translate to moving the sub-forums around like we've been seeing? I don't think it should. Which makes me start to agree with Yuri. If I had access to the controls and could mess with the Forum layout, how often would I do it? Probably more often than I should.
I wouldn't know how it translates to changes in layout/organization. Not my call to make those changes or determine if they are needed or not. I am not part of management or technical support. I am only a member of custodial staff, and a lowly one at that.

I do know that the occurrence of spam has dropped off dramatically with whatever changes have been recently made....at least for now.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't know how it translates to changes in layout/organization. Not my call to make those changes or determine if they are needed or not. I am not part of management or technical support. I am only a member of custodial staff, and a lowly one at that.

I do know that the occurrence of spam has dropped off dramatically with whatever changes have been recently made....at least for now.
Jazz, I'm with Tom... as a software engineer I would be SHOCKED if changing the organization of the sub pages has ANYTHING to do with SPAM control... I'm not a web software guy but it doesn't make sense that one is related to the other...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Jazz, I'm with Tom... as a software engineer I would be SHOCKED if changing the organization of the sub pages has ANYTHING to do with SPAM control... I'm not a web software guy but it doesn't make sense that one is related to the other...
<shrug>

Not my call to make.

We had a number of ideas for reducing spam that we all felt should be relatively easy to make that got shot down by technical folks, so WTF do I know?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
With the new format at least the subforums are one click away, that is a good thing.
But we have no way to know if they have a new message unless we enter, that is bad thing.

In many forums there is a icon or symbol or sign that says the subforum has new messages since your last visit, that is good thing. Here it lacks, at least until the next update, that is a bad thing.

As a side note: I understand that every change is for the better and to improve our GS experience, but too many changes in a few time avert and disorient the users. Even those that understand that every change is for the better and to improve our GS experience.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Semantical-emoticon progression suggested :

Whiners :mad:

Why? :eek:

We? :wtf:

Wine! :cool:

Winners! :highfive:

The forum works fine.

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
I'm new here but I have no problems seeing whats new. Just hit the whats new button and poof there it is.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I only saw the new layout this morning and my reaction was "Has something gone wrong?". After a minute I copped that the sub-fora layout had changed. I'm likely to get used to it. So no complaint from me, might even prefer it.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I prefer the old layout. I will get used to this one soon enough.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Last edited: