FE 87 Lightning War

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey,

Just played the Germans in the above mentioned scenario and couldn't win it. Anybody out there win as the Germans...and if so...how?
The German tanks can't go toe to toe with the French tanks in the village, the French armour is too thick. Tried going around them through the woods but kept bogging. My Stukas did their job and destroyed an S35 apiece but I couldn't get enough AFVs close enough to get offboard, particularly with the scenario errata. Not enough infantry to win by exiting them alone. My opponent was pretty good at sealing any escape through the village. Breakdowns of 11 for the crappier German tanks didn't help either.

javanabal

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I had the same experience with this scenario. It seems that it has not been playtested. One silly possibility would be for the germans to abandon all their afv and run as infantry through the woods. By the way the order of battle is inexact, refering to chapter H. Weaker versions of Pz III were no more in use during the campaign of France. Changing Pz IIID for F version with an AF of 3 would be useful. Maybe be also upgrading the Pz IV...
Another solution might also be to improve my gameplay :)

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had the same experience with this scenario. It seems that it has not been playtested. One silly possibility would be for the germans to abandon all their afv and run as infantry through the woods. By the way the order of battle is inexact, refering to chapter H. Weaker versions of Pz III were no more in use during the campaign of France. Changing Pz IIID for F version with an AF of 3 would be useful. Maybe be also upgrading the Pz IV...
Another solution might also be to improve my gameplay :)
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I didn't see an easy way for the Germans to win this. I am glad it isn't just me. I guess I assume that Fanatic Enterprises scenarios are playtested prior. I would have thought that the AFVs were the better ones, considering this was Rommel's vaunted 7th Pz Div.
But yes...My play needs to get better too!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,.... Rommel's division was not equipped with Pz IIIs except for some company command vehicles. His division was equipped primarily with the Pz 38(t) and the Pz IV C/D. He did borrow some tanks from 5th Pz div after the breakout from Dinant. This division did have an allotment of Pz IIIs but not a large number.