FCW - Which OOB's to use (by region) for the force pools?

What regional OOB's should players be able to draw forces from?

• SCANDINAVIA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MIDDLE EAST (From Egypt, East to Iran)

• BALKANS (from Poland south to Greece)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ASIA (includes South Pacific)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • LATIN/SOUTH AMERICA (From Mexico, South to Argentina)

• AFRICA (All continental Africa - less Egypt)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What Region should we use for the players to draw their forces from? All teams will be select/be assigned a Nation from the same Region that will represent their forces. No teams can use the same Nation. Right now I am considering 3-4 teams.

For example; if we go with Scandinavian theme, then the teams will have to select Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted for Africa,you may want to consider removing South Africa as well.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking at the 1967-73 time frame so they may not be too unbalanced to use. I'll have to check the OOB's for them and some others for that time period and see how it looks.

Hopefully I'll have some base point force numbers soon. Players will build forces each time they elect to attack a hex, they will not have static, assigned units for the duration of the campaign, same for the defenders.

When a battle is determined to be taking place due to an attack into a hex, players will fight a Pbem using a map of my design for that hex and they will select pretty much any forces from their preset OOB, time frame and point allocation similar to what Artur has posted here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=838903&postcount=19

The objective will be killing the enemy and taking control of the hex. Losses will not be an issue, it will be a fight to the death (within a set # of turns) to do as much damage as possible. This will keep all players motivated and not have them lose interest after their force is decimated and then have to fight the rest of the campaign at a major disadvantage (i.e sitting around waiting to be killed off). This will also allow players to experiment with force structures, tactics, etc as they will get a "new" start each round.

If the attacker gets a loss or draw, he must withdraw from the hex (and the defender keep control of the hex). If they get a victory, they take control of the hex. Objective Hexes may be used (to a small degree) to create some incentive to take certain areas of the map.

Please note, much of this is still being worked out but I have a pretty good idea so far. The focus will be to get a good size group of players together, keep everyone involved in every operational turn and basically arrange it so everyone has fun without the rigid structure of previous CoC formatted Combat Campaigns.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 1967-1973 time line seems to be best suited in my mind to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. I'm more than willing to provide my Lao and Philippine OOBs if you go with Asia and want some more choices heh.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good idea but then you have the added issue of players having to swap OOB's. It's easy enough but may still put some players off.

Right now I'm looking at an African themed campaign, possibly the Ethiopia region.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's definitely more inbuilt choices for East Africa. Depending on how much time I have heh, I'd love to be involved either way.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's definitely more inbuilt choices for East Africa. Depending on how much time I have heh, I'd love to be involved either way.
Looking in detail at the OOB's and using the October 1976 time frame it looks like Angola would actually be the best candidate for the players. Lots of vehicles to choose from along with both truck and mech infantry.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All teams will be select/be assigned a Nation from the same Region that will represent their forces. No teams can use the same Nation.
Will every team still be able to pick a nation from a pool or will everybody be using from the same nation?

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally I intended that each team pick a different nation BUT this may impact balance as some nations don't have access to certain equipment. For example, Ethiopia really only has 2 tanks (M41 and M60A1) while some others have way more to choose from.

I may allow teams to use the same OOB' if they choose to but if I go with a single OOB (Pro-Government vs Rebel 's then I would use the same OOB and Angola seems to suit this scenario the best.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many players minimum per team do you envision? I do agree that the more teams the merrier.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this point I am still looking at having 3 teams BUT there is the possibility this campaign will only have 2 teams, a Pro-Government team and a Rebel team. Both teams would use the same OOB's for better balance when purchasing forces.

Ideally we would need at least 9 players to do the 3 team format. Any less and I'll go with the 2 team format I have in mind.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have closed the Poll. We'll be using Angola vs Angola (Oct 1976) in a Civil War type environment.