FCW - How to manage the Operational aspect of the next Combat Campaign?

Should Operational Movement be handled by MOCAT (free form) or a Hex based system?

• Use MOCAT.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Use a hex based system.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since we are on the subject of a new Combat Campaign another important item that needs to be determined is how to manage the Operational aspect of the campaign.

Right now there are 2 options. One is using MOCAT and the other is using a hex based system. Some basic info on each is below;

MOCAT would allow for more "realism" as far as movement and such BUT also makes player participation critical. All player NEED to be able to install and use MOCAT to submit orders, track OOB's and few other items. This reduces the reliance on extensive forums.

HEX BASED limits realistic unit positioning BUT allows for easier determination of who is actually where and engaging whom.

I am not going to go into detailed analysis here but there are good and bad with each. Anyone who has participated in previous events or who has any input or questions on either of these methods needs to speak up and at some point vote their preference especially if you are considering joining in on the next event.

Last edited:

Epoletov [SPR].

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I have voted for MOCAT.

I use COCAT, I hope there will be no problems with MOCAT.

It is ready to order about armies !

In fact it will be necessary not for each commander, but only for the commander-in-chief ?

I know as it difficultly for many commanders. :cool:

For example in my campaign was two heroes (work with COCAT) and about ten simple commanders (only fights in WinSPMBT).

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Epoletov [SPR].;926191 said:
I have voted for MOCAT.

I use COCAT, I hope there will be no problems with MOCAT.
MOCAT and COCAT are actually different in many ways. MOCAT is a modified COCAT II which is NOT the same as COCAT 2. COCAT 2 is what I believe that you have been using. ;)

Besides, COCAT/MOCAT only really allows for 2 teams so if we go with a format that uses more than 2 teams COCAT/MOCAT probably wouldn't be the best way to go.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Personally I would always go with a Hex-based format. Mainly because I think it gives most players the biggest insights, and has a far greater ease of use.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am really gravitating toward a hex based movement system mainly for the ease of management. Unfortunately I have a RL which have severely affected at least 1/2 of the previous Combat Campaigns and prevented them from being properly administered and kept running. :paperbag:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am really gravitating toward a hex based movement system mainly for the ease of management. Unfortunately I have a RL which have severely affected at least 1/2 of the previous Combat Campaigns and prevented them from being properly administered and kept running. :paperbag:

Maybe you should consider throwing in the towel regarding combat campaigns,that would give you maximum time to enjoy RL.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe you should consider throwing in the towel regarding combat campaigns,that would give you maximum time to enjoy RL.
It's more a matter of creating a smaller campaign that is easier managed. The more detailed (realistic) the more time needed to run it properly. Right now I am gravitating toward an Island Civil War type campaign (hex based, multiple teams) although with larger OOB's.

Teams will be able to select their OOB from a designated set of nationalities. There will be no real team commander (players will submit their own attack/move orders) but they will need to work as a team on operational level decisions (i.e which other team to concentrate their attacks on, behind the scene alliances, etc). The objective would most likely be the capture of the entire island by a single team

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I now have the basis for a hex based system. It will be somewhat abstracted and is more for players to have fun rather than trying to make it historically accurate. It should allow for faster operational turns as well. I still have some more work to do before it would be ready to go but I am over a pretty big hurdle. ;)

For those who want more information it will be 'somewhat loosely' based on the Combat Mission - Domination Europa system that RICO(FGM) created and has graciously allowed me to steal some ideas from (primarily his "INITIATIVE HEX” System);

http://www.rico.co.za/domination-europa/

I have my own map that will be used but will need to create some new icons to match the OOB's we will use. We will also need to determine the number of teams.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have closed the poll as I'll be going with a hex based Operational system for the next campaign.

The thread will remain open for any additional comments or questions.