FCW - Fictional Civil War ? ?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For easier identification and tracking, all important threads related to the next Combat Campaign will be prefixed "FCW - " for Fictional Civil War.

I will also use this thread to post more on the Sequence of Play and other similar play concepts and guidelines.

For those of you wanting to participate please post here so we know who is interested. You can then contact each other and begin organizing preliminary "teams". At this point I am still looking at having 3 teams BUT there is the possibility this campaign will only have 2 teams, a Pro-Government team and a Rebel team. Both teams would use the same OOB's for better balance when purchasing forces. Ideally we would need at least 9 players to do the 3 team format. Any less and I'll go with the 2 team format I have in mind.

More information will follow soon.

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sequence of Play

Here is the Basic Sequence of Play.

Any player on a team can initiate an attack on an enemy hex from any one of their team controlled hexes by posting their challenge to the forums (no team can initiate more attacks than 1/2 of the total # of players on their team unless they have available "Initiative Hexes"). Initiative Hexes would be considered bonus "freebie" attack options.

The attacking players posts his intent to attack from Hex X to Hex Y. The OC (Double Deuce) creates the map to be used for the hex. The defending team posts who will accept the challenge (to play the battle via Pbem). The attacking player sets up the Pbem using the created map (using Full Security). Both players proceed as if setting up a normal Pbem using the force purchasing guidelines (this should result in all battles being balanced, at least in points). The game will be played through to the last turn till the end game screen comes up. The end game is sent to the OC for final review and the game is reported on the Ladder (non-rated).

Based on the end game result the following will most likely happen if the hex involved are both considered "Open Terrain";

Attacker - Decisive Defeat = Defending Team retains control of the attacked hex AND takes control of the Attacking Teams hex where the attack was initiated from (Hex where attack originated from becomes Initiative Hex for the "Defending Team").
Attacker - Marginal Defeat = Defending Team retains control of the attacked hex AND takes control of the Attacking Teams hex where the attack was initiated from (Hex where attack originated from occupied by "Defending Team").
Draw = Both side retain control of the original hex locations.
Attacker - Decisive Defeat = Attacking Team seizes hex (Hex occupied).
Attacker - Decisive Victory = Attacking Team seizes hex (Hex occupied AND becomes Initiative Hex).

NOTES:
  • The results above are only drafts and depending on the terrain in the attacked hex these results will be somewhat modified. For example, of the hex attacked is across a river the defender if a Decisive Win will take control of the Attacking Teams originating hex BUT the captured would not be considered an Initiative Hex. Other results will be set depending on the hex attacked into and the hex attacked from.
  • No two players can play each other in back to back Pbem's. This will ensure everyone plays and keeps players from continually having to play each other over and over.
  • These rules will be documented and finalized in detail before any play begins so don't worry if it is confusing so far. This is only a rough overview. ;)
Any questions so far?

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only question I have is Attacks must be from an adjacent hex?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only question I have is Attacks must be from an adjacent hex?
A player can initiate an attack from "any" of their team's controlled hexes into any adjacent enemy hex to that hex they are attacking from. Since there are no assigned units, players on a team are free to attack from any of their hexes bordering the enemy. Only 1 attack can be initiated from a single hex each turn.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right now, based on the number of votes for WinSPMBT and the theater this will be a 2 team campaign using the Angola, October 1976 OOB. There will be a Pro-Government Team and a Rebel Team with no real limit on the equipment types a team can draw from from any battle as long as it is in the Angola OOB and meets the Pbem force guidelines. Basically this means almost all battles will be evenly matched at least in points so no one will be fighting a battalion with a couple platoons or no armor, unless they configure their force that way. ;)

Basic rules are in my head and on scratch paper so I will try to post more on them as this progresses and before we start. I will also have a revised point total for the battle (Pbem) forces but it is looking like a 2000 point total with 80x80 or 100x100 hex maps. We will use Ethiopian Map # in the Map Generator to form the base maps so if you wanna see the type of terrain you can go into the editor, set is as Ethiopia vs Ethiopia (Oct 1976) and generate some maps.

A section of the campaign map will be posted in the next day or so along with a team signup thread. Victory conditions will be capture of the country's capital AND at least 75% of the hexes on the operational map.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Initiative Hex Clarification

Initiative Hex Clarification

An Initiative Hex is a hex that is captured after a battle by either a Decisive Defeat or a Decisive Victory.

An Initiative Hex cannot be attacked by enemy forces during the time it is considered an Initiative Hex. The owner however, can attack any adjacent enemy hex without fear of losing the hex through a Decisive Defeat. For example; attacks from an Initiative Hex are not subject to capture by the defending player should he be attacked from an enemy Initiative Hex and win a subsequent Decisive Victory.

The Initiative Hex hex designation lasts for 1 full Operational Turn after the hex is captured.

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently cropping, editing the map so that it is pretty generic as this is a fictional campaign. Basically both teams will start with the "country" split in half except for the capital. The capital is currently occupied by the UN who are in the last stages of evacuating their remaining forces and leaving the country to the belligerents. This will be the only hex NOT occupied by either side at the start of the game. ;)

Remember this will be an everyone plays every operational turn (as long as the team have an even # of players). There will be no minimum or maximum players per team BUT IF you drop out in the middle of a Pbem (max 45 day time limit), then you forfeit control of the hex you are defending OR attacking from. :devious:

In order for the "flags" to match the Pro-Government Team will always be Player 1 in the Pbem's. Also, because players will be choosing their own forces based on points the Pro-Gov Team will be responsible for creating the Pbem and setting the Preferences in the Battle Generator. I will create all the custom maps that will be used so they will need to know HOW to make the right selections and settings when setting up the battle.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because of the way the Pbem's will need to be created I will need to make sure everyone understands how to do this step by step using the WinSPMBT game engine. This way all games will be using Full Security and without the need for me to pre-deploy anyone's units. Each player will select and deploy their own forces in each battle.

Since I will need to set up a secure area for each team and I cannot do that here to the extent I need to, I'll be asking everyone register on my Combat Campaigns forums and run that part from there. Game reports to the ladder and non-confidential discussions will be done here at GameSquad.

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be asking everyone register on my Combat Campaigns forums and run that part from there. Game reports to the ladder and non-confidential discussions will be done here at GameSquad.
I'm registered there but I forgot my password.:eek:

Epoletov [SPR].

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
2 Double Deuce: Please explain.
It is necessary to be registered once again in Secure Forum ?
Registration in the open forum has not enough ?

Has not found Secure Forum for campaign "FCW".

The Soviet commanders had difficulties with registration at this forum.
It is obligatory, or possible to take advantage e-mail or the help of the registered friends (they will inform them the necessary information) ?

-------------
During registration there is a message, that e-mail does not approach.
Tried even foreign e-mail.

Please, Advise as to be registered in this forum.
Or register us, and send passwords, and we then shall replace passwords.

Last edited:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Epoletov [SPR].;932175 said:
2 Double Deuce: Please explain.
It is necessary to be registered once again in Secure Forum ?
Registration in the open forum has not enough ?

Has not found Secure Forum for campaign "FCW".

The Soviet commanders had difficulties with registration at this forum.
It is obligatory, or possible to take advantage e-mail or the help of the registered friends (they will inform them the necessary information) ?

-------------
During registration there is a message, that e-mail does not approach.
Tried even foreign e-mail.

Please, Advise as to be registered in this forum.
Or register us, and send passwords, and we then shall replace passwords.
You guys are always so much trouble . . .:laugh:

I don't have the ability to set up secure areas on these forums (GameSquad) so for the secure parts I will use my Combat Campaigns website forums.

You say they are not able to register here? If not may not be able to help for the same reasons I cannot set up the secure areas here (requires Admin access).

I will also use my own site to host maps and any other necessary files specific to this campaign. If your guys sign up there please PM me with their email address, their username and a PW and I'll see if I can get them set up.

I haven't set up the secure area in my other forum yet. Once I get it organized I will provide a link and detailed instructions to try and get every signed up/logged in and access to their respective areas.

Epoletov [SPR].

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You guys are always so much trouble . . .:laugh:

I don't have the ability to set up secure areas on these forums (GameSquad) so for the secure parts I will use my Combat Campaigns website forums.

You say they are not able to register here? If not may not be able to help for the same reasons I cannot set up the secure areas here (requires Admin access).

I will also use my own site to host maps and any other necessary files specific to this campaign. If your guys sign up there please PM me with their email address, their username and a PW and I'll see if I can get them set up.

I haven't set up the secure area in my other forum yet. Once I get it organized I will provide a link and detailed instructions to try and get every signed up/logged in and access to their respective areas.
Send You PM --- e-mail Soviet-Angola Commander .

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please check your secure forums on the Combat Campaigns website. What a mess! :nuts: :laugh:

I need the Pro-Gov team to designate 3 more attacks and the Rebels to designate 2 more attacks. These CANNOT be into currently engaged/attacked hexes. Also go ahead and designate the defenders for the battles I requested in your forums as well.