FB Campaign Refit for Gun/Crews

_Fury_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

Playing Festung Budapest campaign 2 as Russians. Several scenarios in all my artillery crews have been killed, but I still retain most of the guns. Is there anyway to buy more crews? I did not see this possibility in the RG choices (other than buying cheap aa guns or something). Is there a way to recrew these guns or am I stuck using infantry mmc's?

Thanks!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

Playing Festung Budapest campaign 2 as Russians. Several scenarios in all my artillery crews have been killed, but I still retain most of the guns. Is there anyway to buy more crews? I did not see this possibility in the RG choices (other than buying cheap aa guns or something). Is there a way to recrew these guns or am I stuck using infantry mmc's?

Thanks!
A crew is a crew, if you happen to have some spare vehicle crews these can crew guns as well. If not a HS may have to do (if any) or even a full squad (if nothing else there's a decent chance you'll have fewer of these guns around for the next scenario:whistle:).:)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The 37mm AA guns start to look attractive for their crews. A unit can possess more than one gun, so give each crew > one gun and choose the appropriate weapon for the attack. While you have a surplus of guns consider using Intensive Fire more often until you get back to a reasonable number.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So a crew can "crew" two Guns simultaneously and choose which one to shoot or is there more to the mechanics than that?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So a crew can "crew" two Guns simultaneously and choose which one to shoot or is there more to the mechanics than that?
Any unit can possess any number of SW/guns. If otherwise allowed the unit may fire any weapon it possesses.

JR

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aren't some guns vehicle size? you may be over stacking if you possess two in same hex.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Aren't some guns vehicle size? you may be over stacking if you possess two in same hex.
Guns are never vehicle-sized. You are never overstacked with a vehicle and a gun, manned or not, in the same location barring some esoteric terrain type, which typically can't hold a vehicle anyway. Some, in fact many, guns are large for targeting purposes, but they count against infantry stacking when manned, not vehicle. A crew/HS manning a gun is considered equal to a squad. A squad does not gain size when it possesses a gun. The guns themselves do not count for stacking, only the MMC possessing them.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The guns themselves do not count for stacking, only the MMC possessing them.
An interesting point I have not thought of so far. I can only recall the rules saying that the combination of a Gun+Crew are considered one squad-equivalent. Where can you find that the Guns by themselves to not count at all?

Would this theoretically allow to stack a bunch of Guns in a Pillbox setting up HIP unpossessed and thus to potentially break a scenario in which the VC require to find those Guns?

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Would this theoretically allow to stack a bunch of Guns in a Pillbox setting up HIP unpossessed and thus to potentially break a scenario in which the VC require to find those Guns?
Njet.

B30.311:
"...A pillbox may contain one (but not > one) Gun.."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
An interesting point I have not thought of so far. I can only recall the rules saying that the combination of a Gun+Crew are considered one squad-equivalent. Where can you find that the Guns by themselves to not count at all?

1) COWTRA. The crew/hs possessing a gun is listed under D5. A gun or multiple guns by themselves without reference to a possessing unit isn't. Per A4.43 a unit can possess any number of guns/sw, but that doesn't discuss stacking.

As an aside, a gun possessed by a SMC (presumably heroic or with another SMC present to help fire it) counts as the possessing SMC(s) for stacking, and of course an unpossessed gun counts for nothing.

2) It's not clear to me how the rules interact here. A pillbox & its contents sets up HIP, but an unpossessed sw/gun can't be concealed. My guess is that the unpossessed guns are put on board but the pillbox not. Perhaps someone who cares about this will send in for a q&a.

In PTO this might be a problem perhaps if the pillbox can create HIP for unpossessed equipment. In non-PTO the pillbox itself will lose concealment on LOS w/i 16 hexes, and it is highly likely that someone would poke his nose in it. But the pillbox is an unnecessary frill for any potential breaking. Just HIP the guns possessed by a crew anywhere. No need for a pillbox. But then if it's necessary to find all the guns, why put all your eggs in one basket? HIP them all over the place. Of course if the VC are to find any one gun HIP-ing them all in one hex might be better.

edit--as Klas has it, having multiple guns in one pillbox is not only unnecessary but actually violates a rule. The pillbox is still unnecessary to break the scenario unless you need every last MMC fighting because otherwise one crew possessing all the guns will break the scenario too.

JR