FB/BGG/GS I miss the ASLML

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Having multiple channels is a privilege, not a burden.
It depends. More than one channel is not bad per se.

But multiple channels can quickly turn into a burden as soon as you have to follow something like half a dozen to keep an overview of what's going on. Way too much time, way too much fuss. Only few people take the pains to do that.

Therefore, practically, multiple channels fragment the community and their effect becomes more detrimental than beneficial IMHO. Instead of 'one good', you get a handful of 'not so good'. I'd rather follow the former than the latter.

As such, I won't be lured over to Discord even by people like JRV.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It depends. More than one channel is not bad per se.

But multiple channels can quickly turn into a burden as soon as you have to follow something like half a dozen to keep an overview of what's going on. Way too much time, way too much fuss. Only few people take the pains to do that.

Therefore, practically, multiple channels fragment the community and their effect becomes more detrimental than beneficial IMHO. Instead of 'one good', you get a handful of 'not so good'. I'd rather follow the former than the latter.

As such, I won't be lured over to Discord even by people like JRV.

von Marwitz
Absolutely no intention nor desire of luring you over to Discord, I assure you. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Having worked in the media field all my life. We learn to stay away from single source of truth. Therein lies tyranny.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Absolutely no intention nor desire of luring you over to Discord, I assure you. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Having worked in the media field all my life. We learn to stay away from single source of truth. Therein lies tyranny.
If you are working in the media field, then I can understand your openness for new platforms - it might be a professional necessity for you.

But as for truth, I for one have not been looking for 'truth' on GS forum but rather for ASL rules issues and information on the game. This is not a political media in which parties might be interested to suppress or promote one rules interpretation to take advantage of it or to further their power base.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you are working in the media field, then I can understand your openness for new platforms - it might be a professional necessity for you.

But as for truth, I for one have not been looking for 'truth' on GS forum but rather for ASL rules issues and information on the game. This is not a political media in which parties might be interested to suppress or promote one rules interpretation to take advantage of it or to further their power base.

von Marwitz
No ... but multiple platforms have multiple communities and players. In accessing multi platforms, I have access to a pretty full picture of the in's and out's of the hobby.

Case in point : MMP is the most accessible via CSW and FB. Brian Youse just mentioned that he will include Singling in the new Yanks reprint and Hell's Corner in the Rising Sun reprint.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This forum is lousy now that it's lost a few crucial members.
Gosh, thanks. (kicks a rock with hands in pockets) :cautious::LOL:

I'm primarily FB and here. I'm a member of the Discord group, but I only have Discord open when I'm actually using it as a VOIP client so I don't see the group but maybe once a week. And I've never been able to wrap my head around the anachronism that is the CSW forums. I go there, then just close my browser window after thinking I'd stumbled on a Geocities forum.