Favorite SW and Ordnance in ASL,and why?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious as to what fellow ASL players favorite SW's and pieces of Ordnance to play with in the game,and why.

SW--the .50cal. HMG Always have had good luck using this piece as it is very effective against a variety of targets (Infantry, unarmored vehicles and light AFV's,and even aircraft.) Helps to get favorable ROF too.

(Would have gone with Japanese 50 MTR but always seem to run out of Special Ammo on first or second DR.)

Ordnance--Russian 203 ART Ok it has no ROF, no IF, and may take a turn to even get a hit on a target. But when this thing hits , it hits hard. Perfect for eastern European urban renewal.

Look forward to hearing other players choices.

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
81/82mm mortars and the 60mm mortar.
Super nasty weapons and versatile with smoke,WP, star shell. Nice range. Sure HMGs have a ROF of 3 as well, (and they can set up in a building which is a major advantage over the MTR), but for some reason I always seem to have more ROFs streaks with the mortars.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The Swiss knife.
Neither the Germans, nor the Russians, nor the Western Allies ever dared to invade Switzerland because of that weapon.

Seriously, I cannot choose.
It depends what date, what theater of operations.
I like the German MMG : light to carry (3PP so a brokie can rout with it), good FP and range.
Of course 50-82 mm mortars with smoke are nice too - their high ROF makes them quite nasty beasts - much more than large, slow firing behemoths.
I would have a preference for the Russian 82 mm, as you can fire it once and then dismantle it or assemble it and fire it once.

Last edited:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
SW: That heavy, lump o' crap sniper magnet lt. mtr.
It's versatile (semi) portable OBA for those early war campaign games and relatively static scenarios.
There's nothing like a good mortar rate of fire tear!

Ordnance: the flakvierling.
Meatchoppers rule, and they also make early armor very wary.

Ordnance on tracks: SiG33b.
I hardly ever hit anything with it, but when you manage to do it, ...BOOOMMM!!!! :)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
81/82mm mortars and the 60mm mortar.
German 81mm MTR as it has a close range of 2 hexes. I bet in a stiff breeze the crew ate some shrapnel. Quad 20L. Probably underpowered in ASL.

Hmm, SW? Tough call. FTs are nice. 50cal is nice. Knee Mortar, best of all the mortars. BAZ45 has WP (it'd be a winner if it had a better depletion number). PSK kills almost everything it hits. 75 RCL are nice. German MMG is portable and with range. Russian ATR has a nice kill # and super portable.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The DC! Why? I love the site of falling buildings, collapsing bridges and the occasional self inflicted disaster when thrown.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The DC is also excellent when not used, being a lurking threat, like the OBA SR hovering over the battlefield.

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russian 76mm ART gun is my all time favorite. I love that gun.

For support, I like the MGs ability to reposition and lay fire lanes.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The DC is also excellent when not used, being a lurking threat, like the OBA SR hovering over the battlefield.
That's what I love about FTs. The possibility of that 24 flat often matters much more than the actual X'ing on the first shot. ;) It just has to be accounted for...you can bully your opponent with it without ever setting it off.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going with the Piat. People tend not to respect them enough (me included) and then they tag a King Tiger in the flank.

Then I'm going with the Jumbo version of the Sherman Catolopie or whatever they called it. The Sherman with a giant rack of 82mm rockets. Put a gyro on that thing and a Ronson FT in the hull, and good to go, lol.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German HMG, because it's still usable when dismantled.

Doorknocker because it makes my brain hurt trying to come up with useful ways to be successful with it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Japanese 12.7mm AA Gun. Love the 3 ROF (2 when firing IFE) and the 12FP IFE. Plus it can set up HIP and is a small target.

The German HMG 7FP and only 4PP.